Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any Superchargers W/boost controllers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:22 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve Morris has one marketed as a "Launch Controller", as it bleeds boost at launch and ramps it back in as needed....
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

http://www.stevemorrisracingengines....ontroller.html

Thats kinda bad ***! I still don't like the idea of using a BOV to limit boost (at least until I see the IAT info Jake asked about), but this controller could be a good unit for us street guys.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:29 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have been using the ams-1000 on centrifugal blower applications for over 5 years. Works awesome!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea I posted something up when I did my Maggie with a bypass. I suggested that someone may want to try it as well, no one answered and one sponser told me it couldn't be done.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Someone needs to build a dang CVT transmission for these blowers lol.
Have you ever heard of the NuVinci planetary CVT? It is produced by Fallbrook Technologies.

Most of their stuff is in use on bicycles, but they have light electric vehicle and ATV setups also. Imagine the possiblities if something like this could actually be viable. No more guess work in choosing the right pulley for the job, just adjust the CVT range.

You guys should see if you can convince Procharger to have a look at the idea.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Launching!

well actually this cvt supercharger has been done before in the late 80's to quite good succes

it was called a ZF turmat, it's a centrufugal that ran upto 120.000 rpm , therefore this unit could be kept very small for the amount of air it could move.
ZF was / is a big company that makes oem car/truck gearboxes, and rear axles

after a short time Zf wanted to concentrate more on the gear/ gearboxes and sold all patents, etc..
in the late 80's they had build a 1000hp bmw 6 cylinder m5 engine with 2 of these units

http://www.lenz.de/bereiche/automoti...erdichter.html

Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jeejee
well actually this cvt supercharger has been done before in the late 80's to quite good succes

it was called a ZF turmat, it's a centrufugal that ran upto 120.000 rpm , therefore this unit could be kept very small for the amount of air it could move.
ZF was / is a big company that makes oem car/truck gearboxes, and rear axles

after a short time Zf wanted to concentrate more on the gear/ gearboxes and sold all patents, etc..
in the late 80's they had build a 1000hp bmw 6 cylinder m5 engine with 2 of these units

http://www.lenz.de/bereiche/automoti...erdichter.html

Very neat idea, those i think are based off a KKK turbo compressor side. Need to get that transmission and add on a PTE 106mm wheel
Old 10-22-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Id like to see some IAT data logs on low and high boost, in theory they should be about the same.

Id also like to figure a efficiency % on low vs high boost even though the impeller is at the same speed.

Someone needs to build a dang CVT transmission for these blowers lol.

Im in the middle of building a CVT clutch on/off type set up for my procharger now. Hoping to get it to work.

Looks to be little on the costly side so far. but if i get it to work i will be selling them.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Very nice
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

I still dont understand the idea of a 6.5psi spring opening at 13psi, maybe you;re using a twin-turbo spring set-up, and/or reading boost from the wrong place?

My understanding is, if you set the boost controller at 6psi, and you are reading boost from the manifold, as soon as manifold pressure reaches say 6PSI, it should bleed off the excess boost.

A wastegate reads boost pressure by a line running from the manifold to the wategate actuator, whether you are running a supercharger or a turbo charger, its not the exhaust pressure that opens the wastegate its the manifold pressure reading, I hope you get what im trying to say.

but again, im no pro.

Last edited by ayousef; 12-21-2008 at 05:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Teching In

I'm sure this will get a few chuckles, but I accomplished much the same thing as a boost controller by just putting a throttle stop under the gas pedal.

The stop can be made to pivot out of the way, so you can have low or high boost just by moving it with your foot. Under 5$ in parts.

With the stop, boost comes in about where it normally would, then will stay at a steady reduced psi all the way up to redline. (centrifugal)

In other words, it works great!

Low boost is for the wife.
She won't drive the car otherwise.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 12-21-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ayousef
I still dont understand the idea of a 6.5psi spring opening at 13psi, maybe you;re using a twin-turbo spring set-up, and/or reading boost from the wrong place?

My understanding is, if you set the boost controller at 6psi, and you are reading boost from the manifold, as soon as manifold pressure reaches say 6PSI, it should bleed off the excess boost.

A wastegate reads boost pressure by a line running from the manifold to the wategate actuator, whether you are running a supercharger or a turbo charger, its not the exhaust pressure that opens the wastegate its the manifold pressure reading, I hope you get what im trying to say.

but again, im no pro.
just because you have 6psi in your intake doesnt mean you have it in your exhaust. i think the coorelation is that when your running 6psi in your cold side, your exhaust backpressure is close to 12 psi before the turbo. the wastegate regulates exhaust pressure to control intake pressure, so since he is using it on his intake, its just going to be a completely setup.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dragcamaro
just because you have 6psi in your intake doesnt mean you have it in your exhaust. i think the coorelation is that when your running 6psi in your cold side, your exhaust backpressure is close to 12 psi before the turbo. the wastegate regulates exhaust pressure to control intake pressure, so since he is using it on his intake, its just going to be a completely setup.
exactly...the built in spring on a wastegate is designed for exhaust pressures before the turbo which is roughly double what the intake pressures are..
Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chriswtx
exactly...the built in spring on a wastegate is designed for exhaust pressures before the turbo which is roughly double what the intake pressures are..
ok im guessing you were using a spring off a single waste gate single turbo set-up

what if you use a spring from a dual waste-gate twin turbo system, will those springs be HALF the tension?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

what if you use a spring from a dual waste-gate twin turbo system, will those springs be HALF the tension?
no clue...
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ayousef

No, they are the same. Pressure is pressure regardless of how many compressors or wastegates are used.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigRich954RR
Im in the middle of building a CVT clutch on/off type set up for my procharger now. Hoping to get it to work.

Looks to be little on the costly side so far. but if i get it to work i will be selling them.
I had thought of this years back but never did anything about it.

I think using the wastegate it would be nice to pulley up for higher boost lower in rpm range then activate wg higher in rpm not to over boost.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by INTMD8
No, they are the same. Pressure is pressure regardless of how many compressors or wastegates are used.
Jim thanks for the explanation,

now does anyone have any idea how to make a set-up like this hold at 5PSI constant? Is there anyone who can custom design a very light spring, something like 2.5PSI spring?

Were trying to do this on my friends supercharged Z06, but want to maintain the boost @ 5PSI (stock engine), but make much much low and mid-range power, while not overboosting.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

the cool thing would be to adapt a small CVT variable transmission on the back of a magnusson blower.. like from a saturn vue, or honda civic HX

or an electric 30% OD in the snout of a kenne bell ....
Old 12-23-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

/\/\/\/\/\ couldn't you do the same with a hydrolic clutch arangement (like they do diffs)???

vary the presure for the amount of presure you wanted.....

Chris.

Quick Reply: Any Superchargers W/boost controllers?