Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LGM motorsports turbo hotside enquiry

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a GREAT idea, but there are soooooooo many variables it makes my brain hurt... We'll discuss this next time we meet up, great idea...
Old 09-04-2008, 04:53 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by .ALEX.
It's the options that lead to problems. too many different turbo sizes and down pipe requirements.

the most expensive and complicated part to fabricate is the headers . If you make a header kit and let the end user figure out the down pipe and crossover it may work.
We have a winner. If you could make a set of headers that keep the AC, minimize moving things around, and you can deliver them they'll sell like hot cakes.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

To be honest, I don't think it is a viable business model. As everyone has said, there are to many variables. Just look at the OFI setup. The headers work fine with stock heads, but when you use ETP, All Pro, etc. heads with a thicker deck, the headers are not going to be in the same location and it causes problems. I have been reading about turbo builds on this forum for a long time, I've had two setups on my own car in fact, and there seem to be three main groups of people.

First there are people that want a complete kit down to every last nut, bolt, washer, zip tie, etc. and they want to keep every accessory, drive like stock, and so on. This group of people usually muster up enough to buy the kit and maybe a few supporting mods (fuel, motor, rear, etc), although a lot of times not even these are considered in planning. They want the world and don't want to pay for it. Look at the threads about the APS kit (a very nice kit, but not 100% perfect -- as if that is possible). These people are not going to invest in a set of headers or even a hot side because they don't have the facilities, knowledge, or paitence to build the rest of the setup.

Then there are people that build there own setups (or send them to someone to build). These people are sometimes more realalistic since they know they will have to do some cutting, welding, etc. to get the job done. However, even this crowd would be hesitant to spend the kind of money your quality headers would be worth, because if they can weld (required if building your own kit), they figure they can build the headers themselves or just use truck/C6/etc. manifolds and save even more money.

Then there are the people that send their cars to shops for a build. If the shop can fabricate a system, they can/should be able to fabricate headers, or again they will just use truck manifolds. If you have this shop build the headers for you, it will fit your car perfectly (at least in theory). This route isn't cheap, but you probably end up with a higher quality product in the end -- or at least a better fitting system.

Sorry for rambling, but that is the way I see it. I would love to see them made, but I don't see it working in the long run.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Launching!

very intrested !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
for the right price
Old 09-05-2008, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

I would concentrate on a T-6 kit. Alot of Ls1's built as a turbo setup are usually going to max out most avalible T-4 setups. With the F-body being out of production, I just don't see it being a hot ticket item. Most people, like stated before, will just have a custom setup built around their car.

Chris
Old 09-05-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are u peple who keep saying ""Right price"" thinking the right price is????

LOL
Old 09-05-2008, 03:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

More then likely ebay price lol. Not the 4k a good quality hot pipe setup price it should be.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is exactly what I was talking about. Everyone wants premium quality parts for ebay pricing. The next question that will come up is: Can we get a GP on them to take the price down even further!?
Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the whole reason OFI got backed up is because he has been building kits that should bring 10k, and not 5.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by hellbents10
the whole reason OFI got backed up is because he has been building kits that should bring 10k, and not 5.

agreed.........
Old 09-05-2008, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
What are u peple who keep saying ""Right price"" thinking the right price is????

LOL

If they are around 2,000 for ss headers, and a merge i think its fair and would be very interested. I dont really care for a dp, i can make my own, but if it comes with it great. Much more then 2,000 i will pick up a tig and practice alot.

Chris
Old 09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99FRC
Easy for you to say in PA! :-) Luckily, Lou is down here in Texas where you wouldn't dream of having a driver without A/C. Anyway, back to the subject...
I'd sure be interested in this. I'm contemplating a DIY turbo setup for my next project and definitely would buy stuff from you again, based on how happy I was with the headers.

Bring it on!
yeah , cause it doesn't get hot here in PA!!!! It's probably not his daily driver, that's why a/c doesn't matter to him.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Banned

louis i might be interested...i could even be another test car...
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z28misfit
yeah , cause it doesn't get hot here in PA!!!! It's probably not his daily driver, that's why a/c doesn't matter to him.
I can tell you it doesn't get TEXAS hot in PA! I think that is what he means is most of you guys don't have an 8 month summer, 1.5 months of fall and spring and 1 of winter lol, so anyone could get by for a few months of warm weather, but not down here. Whats up Louis?
Jeff Williams
Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Resident

Default turbo kit

LOL $10000.00 for a turbo kit? that guys can build $3700.00/ all of LGs stuff is done right, $2500.00 for hot parts and no more.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

I see no reason for it to be over 2500-3k.

The headers will be the same for a T6 or T4 only thing will change will be the intermediate pipe, and you can switch later if you choose to do so. AC will be Kept, you will source your own rad/fan setup as well as turbo and intercooler. The Griffen rad seems to be popular, and sits upright which makes enough room. ABS will need to be relocated, which Im going to look into that further.

Things are in motion, I have talked to Jose at FI and I will iron out the details monday and get a mockup turbo or 3.

Im going to have 40 sets of tubes bent and assemble 20 sets. Working on the CAD drawings as we speak, so lead times will be short once we go into production.

I will keep you posted on how things look, but I will have 20 sets on the shelf before an order is placed

The rest of the kit will be in the hands of the consumer, that way you are in charge of your own destiny
Old 09-06-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Louis

The headers will be the same for a T6 or T4 only thing will change will be the intermediate pipe, and you can switch later if you choose to do so. AC will be Kept, you will source your own rad/fan setup as well as turbo and intercooler. The Griffen rad seems to be popular, and sits upright which makes enough room. ABS will need to be relocated, which Im going to look into that further.

Things are in motion, I have talked to Jose at FI and I will iron out the details monday and get a mockup turbo or 3.

Im going to have 40 sets of tubes bent and assemble 20 sets. Working on the CAD drawings as we speak, so lead times will be short once we go into production.

I will keep you posted on how things look, but I will have 20 sets on the shelf before an order is placed

The rest of the kit will be in the hands of the consumer, that way you are in charge of your own destiny
I see a winner in here.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louis

Sounds Awsome I will be very interested to see how it is all done, I know it will be a quality product.

As far as moving the abs... Just do the SJM abs delete.

Also have to have some sort of wastegate option, but im sure you already know that.

Thanks, Chris
Old 09-06-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Junkie

This could be just what we're after.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I can tell you it doesn't get TEXAS hot in PA! I think that is what he means is most of you guys don't have an 8 month summer, 1.5 months of fall and spring and 1 of winter lol, so anyone could get by for a few months of warm weather, but not down here. Whats up Louis?
Jeff Williams
Right! I'm not talking about a daily driver. I'm talking about anything other than a race car. You can't go anywhere down here for 8 months out of the year in a car without A/C, unless you plan to take a shower when you get there.

Quick Reply: LGM motorsports turbo hotside enquiry