Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

delete intercooler; add nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slow67
NOT true!!! There is 1 in Irving/Dallas/Sachse/Plano/Carrolton/Crowley/Mansfield/etc.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/stat...nd_station.php
no, Im sure there is more than one store serving e85 in dallas. kroger has something like 10 stores in the area that carry e85.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Kevin, would you be spraying it the whole pass? Are you going to tune on the track or a dyno?
Old 09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

interesting responses, thanks guys

i think the sx turbos are still too big, be happy to try one, not really after more power with this move tho. where's dr turbo with that new model for me??

a/a and the shot is interesting.. dont really have a spot for a/a need a front plate in va but not impossible... maybe a little tight on timeline for memphis. i wish i didnt need both a/a and nitrous tho.

hot side is probably getting restrictive with the turbo, maybe i need to spray some in there too

i have twin walbros have a bosch 044 to swap in place of one if necessary, and 96#injectors

i cant make it to that arlington station regularly but i know i could make it on a tank. with teh 3.0 gears the car can get about 23 highway mpg.. 93 oct for me please (put in 104 unleaded at the track for big boost)

thanks kyle yea ill be making the va-memphis trip with the t/a prior to passing the 30 mile 'true' street cruise

if the nawz would work yea i would determine a base meth only tune up and then spray when i add good fuel at the track

starting to think the a/w will stay. the larger tank will be here any day and i have my rule pump and lines ready to cabin-mount.. as kp says i hate the weight i am still over 3800#
Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personnaly think Your best choice is to keep the A2W. If going faster is the issue just up the hp with the nitrous. But I do not think there is any way the Nitrous can replace the A2W kit as a hole. The only way this might even be possible would be alot of changes which include running alcohol and you have already stated thats not an option..

Now if you can run a dual power adder in your class just add the nitrous as an extra boost to make up for the difference in weight.
Dave
Old 09-10-2008, 07:55 PM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As nice as your car is, I'd add the extra cooling capacity and call it a day. At some point, N20 will have you shaking hands with mister head gasket.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
interesting responses, thanks guys

i think the sx turbos are still too big, be happy to try one, not really after more power with this move tho. where's dr turbo with that new model for me??

a/a and the shot is interesting.. dont really have a spot for a/a need a front plate in va but not impossible... maybe a little tight on timeline for memphis. i wish i didnt need both a/a and nitrous tho.

hot side is probably getting restrictive with the turbo, maybe i need to spray some in there too

i have twin walbros have a bosch 044 to swap in place of one if necessary, and 96#injectors

i cant make it to that arlington station regularly but i know i could make it on a tank. with teh 3.0 gears the car can get about 23 highway mpg.. 93 oct for me please (put in 104 unleaded at the track for big boost)

thanks kyle yea ill be making the va-memphis trip with the t/a prior to passing the 30 mile 'true' street cruise

if the nawz would work yea i would determine a base meth only tune up and then spray when i add good fuel at the track

starting to think the a/w will stay. the larger tank will be here any day and i have my rule pump and lines ready to cabin-mount.. as kp says i hate the weight i am still over 3800#
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

We have a Kenne Bell 2.8 5.0 up at the shop thats non intercooled. On blower only, it makes ~520 rwhp. On one stage of nitrous it makes 700 and on the 2nd stage 940 rwhp with 20psi. With ~ 420rwhp worth of nitrous AND a meth system, intake temps are still 250 degrees. Nitrous just can't cool it down as much as you might think. And I can only imagine what your exhaust backpressure would go to with nitrous on your car. I would stick to an A/W unless you want to be able to bake cakes with your IAT's

Chris
Old 09-10-2008, 10:35 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Kevin, would you be spraying it the whole pass? Are you going to tune on the track or a dyno?
I'll ramp it up so its on 100% past the 60 foot, I can 60 foot low 1.30s on my DOTs and I dont want to blow the tires off. I'll tune it on the track of course.

I think adding the N2O with the IC is the way to go Dave, with a 15lb bottle I'm only adding 34lbs total with everything.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a couple thoughts. . .

Both Nitrous and Meth/water injection DO NOT accomplish the same purposes as an intercooler. The mechanisms are totally different.

- An intercooler condenses the compressed air, allowing more flow into the cylinder, simply because the air takes up less space. You can add an intercooler and gain power and reliability with no additional boost. The tubocharger's compressor actually sees less downstream pressure (if properly designed), so you get more airflow at any given boost level. An intercooler will actually allow a turbocharger to be more effective.

- Meth/water injection condenses the compressed air, but displaces it with evaporated liquid. You aren't actually increasing the oxygen density of the gas. You may be making things safer, allowing for more timing or boost, but you're not adding any power by itself.

- Nitrous basically just introduces more oxygen into the system, so it will make lots more power, but also reduce reliability. You will actually be pressurizing the cold-side with an external supply, thus allowing less airflow through the compressor for any given boost level, making the turbo less of a factor in the hp-making equation. You basically displace turbo boost with a nitrous supplement. I wonder. . . if you were designing a purpose-built nitrous/turbo combo, would you purposefully use a tubo with a very large turbine, but small compressor, since the external air to be processed would be reduced?

Nitrous is a POWER ADDER, which makes the engine directionally less reliable, whereas an intercooler makes the engine directionally more reliable. You can add 15 psi boost to an 8.5/1, 400 hp engine and make 800 hp reliably. However, if you add a 400 shot of nitrous to an 8.5/1, 400 hp engine, it won't be very reliable at all. Just food for thought...

Mike

Last edited by engineermike; 09-11-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dave,

What day u leaving for Memphis?
Were leavngthat thurs morning
I'll call ya
Old 09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Kevin, how would you tune the BS3 for the nitrous?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Coal Mining Director

Real time wb plus the ve table. (And Kp's magic on the timing)
Old 09-11-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea we are leaving thurs morning, smaller group this year i think.

what hotel u in? we havent booked yet.

looks like ill be cutting a couple holes in the car to route new water lines to the new tank
Old 09-11-2008, 04:46 PM
8 Second Club

What new tank did you get? What are you doing with the old one?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onfire
Real time wb plus the ve table. (And Kp's magic on the timing)
Pretty much, I'll just dial the VE table with the nitrous so the WOT correction is near zero. That way if I forget to turn on the bottle or if bottle pressure is low it will correct itself leaner so its not pig rich and still run decent.

I dont think I need to take any timing out for a 100 shot, I run C16 and only a very conservative 15-16* of timing normally. 150+ shot I might take a degree or two out.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i bought a 5 gal poly marine tank and am sitting a rule 1500 in it for memphis

hanging on to my tti under hood tank / pump / lines for now, but if the new stuff works out i'll likely continue to use it.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yea we are leaving thurs morning, smaller group this year i think.

what hotel u in? we havent booked yet.

looks like ill be cutting a couple holes in the car to route new water lines to the new tank

Plantation Inn or what ever it is...............
I have three room's, and not using one, but i think DLove is going to take it....

If my brother doesnt come ill have another room open up... wont know for a lil bit though.

I need to call them and tell them i wont be there on weds night now.....
Old 09-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Banned

what about nitrous pre turbo can you do that? i would think it would cool better then after turbo....but your still restricted by the the turbo
Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Regular

spray meth thru the turbo!!!! it will freeze the intake charge pipe.. just like a draw thru race setup!!! it works
Old 09-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

what if you did a2a inter and spared the intercooler with nitrous(or co2)?

or

sprayed the nitrous before turbo so the intake air would by -127, then it gets compressed and risiase but meth helps hold it down?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Best route would be to upgrade the turbo drop weight and then maybe think about alcohol/e85 and base your turbo selection around that.
That's the best advice in this thread. The whole original idea of removing the intercooler and replacing it with nitrous is to remove weight. You can take so much weight out of these cars easily and still have a comfy DD with amenities. My 93 should weigh in around 3100 lbs with me in it, AC, PS, all the interior panels, two leather seats, 8 point cage, LT1, and a 4l60. It's really not that hard of work either. It just takes time.

Imagine if you took 700 lbs out of your car. You'd be roughly running 8.30s.

Quick Reply: delete intercooler; add nitrous