Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

delete intercooler; add nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
You can add 15 psi boost to an 8.5/1, 400 hp engine and make 800 hp reliably. However, if you add a 400 shot of nitrous to an 8.5/1, 400 hp engine, it won't be very reliable at all. Just food for thought...
Could you explain this a little bit more? As I see it, 800HP worth of oxygen is 800HP worth of oxygen, no matter how did you stuff it in the cylinders...
Old 09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Could you explain this a little bit more? As I see it, 800HP worth of oxygen is 800HP worth of oxygen, no matter how did you stuff it in the cylinders...
That was just an observation that few will argue with, and I don't have a great explanation.

Perhaps. . .
- Oxygen distribution is better with a turbo than a plate N2O setup?
- Turbo's are self-limiting at low rpm, whereas you can hit the engine with 400 hp of nitrous at idle and blow it sky high?
- Turbo combo's are tuned better since you drive around all the time with it on?
- The extra residual exhaust gas in the cylinder (forced there by large amounts of backpressure imposed by the turbine) acts as a "cushion" when detonation occurs?
- The mechanics of the burn could be different, also. Think about what happens when you turn on the oxygen on an oxy-acetylene torch.

It could be none, any, or all of these.

I run 17 psi boost on my LT1 (~450 hp worth of boost alone). I drive it about once a week and hit full boost at least 2-3 times. I've been doing this for 18 months on the current engine with no issues at all. I really doubt you could do that with a 450 shot of nitrous.

Mike
Old 09-14-2008, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

Hmmm I think I'll put a 100 dry shot on my car too, good idea Dave. Kev thanks for the ideas over the phone, see you in Memphis.

Quick Reply: delete intercooler; add nitrous