Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Another aps build happening now..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok last nights work..fully expect to have this in the car today.

Just have to tighten up motor mounts, put on alt and air compressor bracket and power steering pump.Then roll it over and drop the car on it.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good! Dang, I should have pulled mine out of the car when I did it. Probably would have saved a lot of cuts on my hands & arms. Look at all that room to work!

And the manifolds look good painted. I hope they hold up for you. I may have to paint mine when the time comes to rebuild my engine. Until then I shall keep racking up the miles!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Veteran

I baked them in the oven..stupid idea..but they said 2 hours at 300 and 1 hour at 400. man that stunk the whole house and wife wanted to kill me! Well she had a right to! Thought they might smell for a few minutes but really they smelled the whole time. Opened ever door and window and kept kids doors shut..LOL never do that again.

Next time leave enough time for ceramic coater or powdercoater to do their jobs.
I will get them done at some point if have them out again over winter but it is not that much fun to take the turbos off with them in the car it looks like. Might need some tips on that later on.

We are maybe being a bit slow but are double and triple checking to make sure we have tightened this and that.

Question for you aps guys. That one way fitting has arrow that is supposed to point towards intake in the manual.I assume that is correct?

Anyway everything we can has been done now pre reinstall so tonite going to try to put body and powertrain back together.

Shame didn't get the intercooler done a few days ago but whatever shouldn't be that hard have access to whatever I need.
Also we made a hold down for the map for now. Don't want it coming out of the fast intake. Just used metal strapping and tripled it.
We also used some of the metal strapping to better hold the starter heat shield on . The one wire tie wasn't doing very well. Other tips am running accell 9000 wires really heat resistant should hold up. Not using factory guards currently but might if need too.
Those aps heat shields are serious hazards they are razor sharp. Buddy cut himself pretty bad like four times already. I told him to wear gloves!
So if ceramic coat can not bother with the heat shields???

Had some fun pounding the rails by the kmember Was trying to do it with deadblow no way. Torch would have made short work of it but then we just used mini sledge .It did the trick fast.

Well thats about all I can think of now. As said just install in car and start hooking little things back up and take the nose off and do the stuff under there.

Definitely close now on first fire up.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Didn't put engine in tonite..no help so worked on front of car. Nose is off and tommorrow or maybe still tonite take off the foam and bumper support. Once that big huge intercooler mounts in there you know you have a turbo car! Its still not quite sinking in even when I look at that monster engine and twin turbos sitting there beside the car. This thing just REEKS OF HORSEPOWER! LOL

Some nose removal TA tips..you take out those plastic clip things under and on top..you can use this tool for that. It makes that easy.
Then you have to take out inner fender liners to get to the bolts in corners underneath that hold the bumper in .I took out like five but think you can maybe get away with two. Then you have a super sneaky 7mm little bolt on both side near the headlight.Lights have to be up to get to them and they held the stupid bumper on there like you wouldn't believe. Once they were off the bumper came off pretty quick.

Last edited by MY99TAWS6; 10-25-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Good to see the progress. I wouldn't use that oven for food anymore.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Well oven cleaner and good scrubbing and 550 degrees for an hour and it cleaned it out really good so not overly worried about it. But won't be doing that again..dumb buddies suggestion...

Well tore off almost all the front end tonite. Just have couple bolts on the bumper to remove tommorrow but my deep 13 got wrecked so have to get another one.

Maybe take that bumper to place with plasma cutter. Dont look too easy to use cutting wheel on. Front end might take a day or so longer than planned .Oh well getting near the end of this seeming never ending install.

Course since did new engine it was a lot longer than just throwing kit on stock motor.
But should be worth it in the end..at least I hope so!
Old 10-25-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Update from today so far..
Ok up early and worked on car and then buddy came by and we have been pretty busy got quite a bit done. I removed all the remaining front end today and then we trimmed cut and modded various parts. The main bumper support stays but had to be cut pretty good. Also trimmed foglight brackets and hood front brackets and stuff. So with that done we will shortly intall that beautiful big honking intercooler in there.
Once its done then need engine in the car so can hook up all the inlet piping and intercooler piping.
A bit of messing around still to do making things look nice with top rad type support cover and air box that helps to channel cold air into the intercooler.All this stuff comes wtih the kit.Kit is very thorough with every nut and bolt you need to do this dauntiing but fairly smooth going install.

Good news is since did all this front end stuff which had to be done anway that just means the car will be finished pretty much all at once rather than mucking on the motor and then doing the front end /intercooler stuff afterwards.

Would say we are about 70% done and with engine in would be 80 % done.
Getting there.getting there..
Old 10-26-2008, 12:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clean your place out good god man LOL
that could help you save time
Old 10-26-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah garage is mess.. bought big shed and its pretty much full, need like 10 sheds! Moved from much bigger house into smaller house with no storage.It drives me crazy.

Well very burnt out long day..
Would take some pics but not into it tonite..Tommorrow
408 and turbos are in their new home. Front mount is all done just need to hook stuff back up on motor and stuff ,run my intercooler and intake piping and put on the front end. We cut and trimmed and did all the stuff on the front end..bumper cutting everything so just a matter of putting it back together. Was going to say monday but it could still be a few more days. We tend to take extra time so don't make mistakes.

Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I really do hope that don't have to take out those turbos anytime soon. That don't look like much fun to do.

Weather here is turning bad for think at least next few days. Can't do much about that.

Well take some pics tommorrow am working on it again.the never ending install should be the name for this..
Old 10-26-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Pics from yesterday.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Updates from today..

Got fair bit done today. Tightened up the kmember bolts..put back coolant hoses and heater hoses, put back rad fans ,alt power wire, some ground wires, fuel line, fuel evap solenoid hooked up. Ran hoses along manifold that go to inlet pipes. Put back steering linkage. it was easy just took it out at both ends. Think some had problems with it.You can completely take it out before you drop out motor at least from a bottom drop out. then put it back no problem after you reinstall. Lots of room in there.

Finished top intercooler cover assembly.

Things left to do.put back ecu and plug harness inside the car back in. Manged to misplace my big firewall grommet so looking for that now. Still need to install starter.
hook up both front o2s. Hook up slave to master line and then bleed clutch. Am also installing my slp line lock currently. Might as well have to bleed brakes anyway.
And will try to install back stainless earls lines also.

Still have driveshaft to put on and going to install spohn bodymount adjustable torque arm. Still have battery tray to install and overflow bottle.

Have to then finish up the stuff in front of the intercooler,hood latch and all that stuff.
Again already cut up bumper support and stuff so really just be assembling that. And didn't install inlet pipes or intercooler pipes. Going to try to stent the inlet tubes so they can't collapse. Worry about getting my big hotchkis sway bar to work later on. No big rush on that.

So no monday start up..looks like still another couple of long days on the neverending aps install.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Put more hours into car again. Line lock is installed just not wired up yet. Installed most of the stuff in front like the air deflector, hood catch, windshield bottle,battery tray and new coolant bottle. Bit more here and there on engine.

Working again hard tommorrow.I can taste the end of this install now.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting closer! It hits ya when it starts looking like a completed car again. Good luck! Can't wait to hear it started and I am SURE you will be grinning ear to ear.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks Hugger. Sure hope so. Lots of money and time into this car now.
Today will likely be a long one and tommorrow as well if need be. We will keep power working the car till done.It is much better on the home stretch knowing at the end of the rainbow should be one serious fast car.And I LIKE FAST! Old hotrodder that I am .
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Slow going today but still some progress.Possibly going to work on it tonite not sure yet.

Got starter back in .Ecu is back in car and all plugged in and ran wiring harnesses best possible ways keeping in mind turbos are hot and you want to route things carefully.

We have passenger side inlet pipe on and the intercooler piping on same side and the blow off on that side.

So obviously have to still put on drivers side inlet and intercooler pipe and blow off.

All sensors are pretty much hooked,clutch slave line is snapped in. Just drivers side o2 to hook up.

Aps thoughtfully gives you two nice wideband o2 holes ,they are plugged right now.

Really once put on the drivers side pipe and driveshaft and torque arm could fire it up. Tempting.

Oh that reminds me forgot to go pick up my last two ngk tr6ix plugs. Maybe go get them now. Put in 6 same and one same heat range denso IT20 but one tr55ix. Put the two oddballs on drivers side where they are easy to get to, so no big deal. But of course want matched new plugs.

Well go out and take some pics even if don't do anymore on car tonite.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 AM
9 Second Club

who is tuning this thing
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Veteran

I bought hptuners awhile back to get used to it NA. My car has been running good no problems and am fairly comfortable with hptuners.I have done a lot of FI tuning on my many dsm cars.
So am planning to just use maf for a week or so. Car has to go away anyway you don't drive it in our lousy cold winters.

I will put in a base tune. Set it for the new 60 pound injectors. Set timing think around 10 or 12 very safe. Set afr target around 11.0 to 1. Have wideband and it was great of aps to give us those bungs in the downpipes.
I might even set my rev limiter to 5000 or even lower so don't go into that high a boost or for very long. Its boring I know but I have stock pump and stock reg and stock lines.

Then in spring will get 3 bar and either tune it myself or get another guy in our local car club to do it .Not sure how hard speed density tuning is. Have all winter to learn or maybe can just put in someone else tune tweaked a bit.

Over winter will get fuel system..either the aps full meal deal or nasty with tank and big pump and lines and reg. Still can't quite decide between the two fuel setups.

Want to get a new rear end in spring also leaning to Dana 60 and alc injection. Might buy AIS stage 2 but want to mount it on left rear beside t top storage. I have nitrous for the other side spare tire well.

And going auto next season I think as well started to collect auto parts already.

So no worries Tom have it all handled!

Only worries now are how will my new engine be. Hopefully it was put together properly.
And of course hoping my aps turbos are ok and stay ok.

The stress and excitement is building now that am only a few days away from first startup and hopefully drive.Maybe can finish up tommorrow but still think one or two more days. Weather is supposed to be freakishly nice next two or three days that would be ideal ones to drive the car around .
Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Veteran

We are working on car today hard and am very close to firing it up .We could fire it tonite but prefer to wait for daytime and might finish a bit more so can actually drive it not just fire it up.

Today we finished up the intake and intercooler tubing and it was annoying for sure to get some of it on the turbo inlets and outlets. We finished up bit of electrical stuff hooking up front o2s and just a few minutes ago we mounted up the horns.
Also got some plugs at home depot might have the part number for you guys buddy picked them up. They are for table legs..they are black and inch or something size and they work great for blocking off the blow off recirc holes.I don't want no recirc blowoffs its venting to the atmosphere baby!!
I will buy some turbosmart I think maybe shortly or might wait for spring hoping our Canadian dollar comes back up closer to yours. See how loud the stock aps ones are when just vented to atmosphere. They look cheap but no one really sees them of course under there.

Today also mounted my new spohn chassis mount torque arm.Its street version so hopefully not that loud. If it sucks then get a crossmember mounted one but can't keep on on the tranny anyway with planned 4l80e swap next spring.

Only thing left is driveshaft mounting. clutch and shifter are working fine.
Still have to bleed brakes and might take an extra bit of time running new stainless brake lines in back. Already done in front when did the bmr kmember.

Have to put in base tune of course .Filled new 408 with oil and got antifreeze so doing that now.
Got six tr6ix and got finally two that were backordered today. So should throw them in.

Charging battery also.
So excited should for sure fire it tommorrow and possibly drive it around the block and mabye day after to alignment and muffler shop. Can run ypipe for day or so but its not hooked to intermediate pipe right now. So kind of open cutout type of thing not sure how loud it will be with no cats and the turbos? My cam is pretty tame sounding I think.

So thats about it guys. I will be getting the new ducts likely as soon as few guys try them out on the dyno. I plan on dana 60 next spring, complete my fuel system with pump,reg and lines and get some toys like eboost2, interceptor and an autometer fuel and maybe nitrous gauge. The interceptor can also do fuel pressure and nitrous but want standalone nitrous gauge for the moment.

So back out to garage likely have bumpers all finished up or close to it tonite..
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 AM
9 Second Club

i cook a wibe band because those 02 bungs are not far back as they should be. it was a AEM. i put a bung in more downsteam and have had no issuse with it now

i think SD will be easyer to tune i have HP tuners to but i have alot to learn still

Quick Reply: Another aps build happening now..