Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Make my own turbo Kit or Used STS?
STS
46.67%
Make something out of a Ebay kit or just completely custom.
53.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Ebay kit or STS kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oil line must get routed to bung in oil pan,
not returned via valve cover or dipstick.

that solves 50% of your problems.

the other 25% is your oil feed pump.
(restrickting oil to turbo)

the final 25% is t clamps and hoses

get those 3 perfect and it's HOLLYWOOD!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also want to keep a/c can you do that with the ebay kit?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
I also want to keep a/c can you do that with the ebay kit?
yes, the ebay kit keeps the a/c
Old 11-22-2008, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few of us that have ebay build threads. I'm still working on mine, and I know monello is finished with his.

I haven't spent that much out of pocket. I sold my duals, nitrous, motor mounts, fans, msd coils, and other things to compensate. I've probably spent 1400 including my hood.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
I have seen a few #7 cylinder go on 8psi and they drove around on 5psi mostly and when they would race they would go up to 8 using the alcohol/meth. Still blew up. To me its a gamble on stock pistons
You also know someone that lost the number 7 cylinder on a stock bottom end LQ4 with a heads and cam setup. That doesn't mean it happens to everyone. It means that different motors handle different amounts of abuse. It also means that tuning is vital when you are making a good amount of power.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Local guy has sts kit for several years and he likes it. The new sts kits are better designed in several areas but of course not going to get one of those used right now I don't think. Aside from worrying about his ground clearance don't think he has had any other problems. He keeps it at 5psi though. I helped him tune it and while its not like my 99 of course its pretty quick. Heck even 420 or so rwhp is pretty quick on a street car.
I have also been in similar power stock car. Now I don't think there is any chance in hell an NA combo matches the turbo in area under the curve. Peak numbers are one thing.
But its pretty hard to beat FI. That said a buddy with heads,camheader,bolt on ls1 did consistently beat buddies lt1 ati procharged lt1 which was basically stock aside from the procharger. But turbos make more area under the curve than centrificals. I would like to see that same ls1 go up against that near stock sts car. Bet the sts car would win.

Ebay kits can work out ok. You might be replacing turbos if they are cheap chinese crap and thinks might not fit and again it depends if the gates and blow offs are real or knock offs. There is not that much to a turbo kit really. Some piping , intercooler which of course can also vary a lot in quailty with cheap ones leaking big time or not working like they should and not fitting in the f body very well. You have blow off and gate or some turbos have internal gates. Couplers and clamps.
And of course you need fuel and tuning. Fuel is simple at lower power levels. At 5psi you can get buy with injectors and cheap racetronix intank. Tuning well you can get a predator and tune ok thats why comes with sts kits or did.

So take your pic. Head,cam,headers bolt ons work well too of course as does spray. But nothing beats the thrill of a turbo or turbos spooling up and the kick in the butt they give.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic