Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Testing Walbro Racetronix

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testing Walbro Racetronix

how can i test/jump the pump?

i have a racetronix pnp kit. it has been working fine since install. it made a very loud whining sound ever since new but i was told it was normal. now ~10k miles later of stock N/A use, the car died on me. the car was driving very good, maybe it was lean at the time right before it died.

when i turn the key to run, it does not make a loud priming sound as it did before. i think i do hear a very faint priming sound but it may be my imagination. that's how low the sound is if it's even there. there is no fuel at the rail. i checked the pnp harness' fuse and the car's fuel pump fuse and swapped a different fuel pump relay in its place. i also changed out the relay on the pnp harness. no dice.
with the key in run,i put a voltmeter at the harness connections at the pump and came up with one terminal that gave me a 5 volt reading. is this normal?all others were o volts. it's raining out here so i can't take everything apart but can still do some diagnosis. please help me figure out what the problem is. i can use any tips on how to troubleshoot.
i would love to rule out the pump, so how can i test/jump it to get fuel to the rail?
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've also noticed that ~5-10k miles my volt guage sometimes sits low when idling at ~12 volts vs. above 13 volts. if i turn the headlights on, the volt guage will show 13+ volts. not sure if this has anything to do with it. currently the car is testing over 12 volts and tries to crank over strong but no start due to no fuel.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a day after the car lost fuel, it was intermitently trying to prime when i turn the key to run but now i can get it to consitently try to prime. the noise is very faint. i remember the pump making a very loud whining sound that caused concern when it was first installed. now when it does try to prime, i have to really listen for it to hear it with the carpet up and trap door open. i checked the wiring and all looks good via a voltmeter. i've also been able to jump the pump with the car's battery and a separate source. both have been able to get the pump to run but the spinning noise it makes is faint and still no fuel getting up to the rail. so i currently believe that it is the pump that is bad.

what i need to do now is get the car running to go to work because it's raining out here and i don't want to have to bike it.

i don't remember what the original install entailed so i don't know if it would be a remove/replace job with the parts i already have from racetronix in the bucket. can someone tell me if i can buy an autozone, gm, or walbro(non racetronix) pump and hook it up to the the current bucket without additional parts?

it cost me $60 for a tow and down time. if this failed 1 day later, i would have been out of town and the tow would have cost me a lot more. also very glad that i wasn't spraying.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the fuel pump is bad. Was the connector you tested a 3 pin or 4 pin? The 3 pin would be the fuel pressure sensor and has a 5 volt reference at the grey wire.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i tested both but i was referring to the 4 pin. the 4 pin has a red which is the 12volt to the pump, black ground, 2 purple(1 being a 5 volt source and the other 5 volt out -iirc-if this doesn't sound right, i can check it when there isn't any rain out). bottom line right now is that when i energize the pump directly, it make a very faint sound and no pressure at the rail.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely sounds like the exact same thing that happened to me with my Racetronix Pump (walboro 255) in my 1995 Impala SS. Started becoming intermittent, and one day, when I turned the car off to fill it up, it wouldn't start. Unfortunately, this was about 30 min off base. Called for an estimate on the Pump replacement from the shop, damn near $600. Went and put my car on a trailer and took it back on base lol. Just for ***** and giggles I went to start it up on the trailer, and it started right up. Eventually died (for good) once I parked it at home.

Enough ranting. I've heard multiple stories about the Walboro pumps dying, some on here, some on Impalassforum.com. Seems to be hit or miss with these pumps.

If you are using the hotwire kit, you are correct.

Black-Ground
Red-12+ pump
Purple-5v reference in for Fuel Level
Purple-5v out " "

If you pulled the relay out of the socket, and jumped the terminal that the red (12v) and black (ground) and all you got was a rather faint whine. Its about time for another pump. Hell, I couldn't even get that with mine.

Nice car BTW. Simple, like i like em.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-s...formation.html

I still have to resolution on my issue. Were you able to get any help from them?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the pump does not work. it is a piece of crap. don't expect racetronix to warraranty their pumps if it fails. buyer beware. save yourself some money and buy a harness and regular walbro somewhere else. i got 100k miles on a stocker and less than 10k miles on a racetronix pump. mine whined from the start and was told it was normal. it's probably normal for these to fail at less than 10k mile too.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

I totally agree at this point. Racetronix is a bunch of crooks.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

For one any WALBRO is not warranted. You also did not remove the tank to remove any debris that may cause your new pump to fail. Did you ever contact an authorized dealer for help in this situation?

Nate
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

yes the tank was cleaned. There was 0 debris in the strainer and my new pump works fine. I'm not going to make my issue a dealers issue. I purchased from racetronix so they should provide adequate support.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
For one any WALBRO is not warranted. You also did not remove the tank to remove any debris that may cause your new pump to fail. Did you ever contact an authorized dealer for help in this situation?

Nate
do you really believe that something can get past a non damaged sock and hurt the pump? my stocker had about 100k miles on it and was working fine.
true that walbro won't warranty their pumps but it is stated. racetronix didn't answer me whether or not they warranty their pumps so it hasn't been stated that they do. nor have they offered a warranty to me. racetronix gave me a bs reply about how this is a walbro pump. the pump has a racetronix casing, box, install instructions, and supposedly racetronix specs, yet they want to dish it off as a walbro. lol.
if you read the other thread, racetronix told shadownks to tap his pump to try to get it to work. someone changed his post to ">support@racetronix.com
> Sensitivity: Confidential". funny huh?
i wouldn't have a problem had i known that there was no warranty on the pump before i bought it. racetronix will lifetaime warranty the harness but don't state either way about the pump and have not offered a warranty to me thus far.
the sponsor i bought the pump from believes it is bad as well.

so nate..you know a lot about fueling...is it normal for a racetronix pump when first installed to whine over the sound of a flowmaster and noisy s60 readend at 2500-3k rpms? i was relayed a racetronix answer from my dealer who said it was normal. when it was working, the sound did make me happy to know that it was pumping. less than 10k miles later, the pump does not pump, there is no fuel or air pressure at the rail after repeated priming. the pump makes a very faint spinning sound. to hear it, i have my trapdoor up and my ear 1 foot away to hear it. it did sound like it was spinning at a very low rpm. everything is hooked up on the assembly as it should be, the sock has no damage.
what do you think is causing it? i have the pump assembly out of the car. how do i bench test it?
Old 11-25-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am in a similar issue with Racetronix with a failed pump, and this is what has come of it so far on our forum. http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=212276

Scroll down to the last 4 posts. Idk if Racetronix offers the same deal across the board with all their pumps, but I would think that you could talk to them and see if they do. It couldn't hurt anything.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id like to know how many people have a racetronix that didnt go out with in a few thousand miles?