Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Tank Not Accepting Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 02:10 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that was my next step after the key since that was easier lol. I think I have one that has a broken nipple for one of the lines going to it that came with my intake manifold. I guess I will try that out and see if it helps.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a flap in the neck to keep from siphoning gas...i bet its got some corrosion on it...nothing at all todo with evap...i dont see how that would make a differance...gas would still pour in and pressure would bleed when gas nozzel is inserted
Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 PM
TCW
On The Tree

But that gets pushed open(the flap) when you insert the nozzle.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

What have you tried so far?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Swapping the gas cap. It was the only cheap/easy alternative lol.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by daniel6718
theres a flap in the neck to keep from siphoning gas...i bet its got some corrosion on it...nothing at all todo with evap...i dont see how that would make a differance...gas would still pour in and pressure would bleed when gas nozzel is inserted
yeah the flap is at the top and the gas nozzel pushes that open but when the tank builds pressure and the evap purge solenoid doesnt purge the pressure out of it into the intake it pushes the check ball shut whiich is at the bottom of the filler tube, like at the tank itself not up where u put gas in..
Old 01-03-2009, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

i dont get alot of camaros in the shop but i have seen alot of other gm products that have the same prob and abot 8 out of 10 the vent solenoid fixes.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnson73801
i dont get alot of camaros in the shop but i have seen alot of other gm products that have the same prob and abot 8 out of 10 the vent solenoid fixes.
Is this the one on the tank or the fuel rail?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
I thought these cars have that ball in there so nobody can steal gas out your tank. Try shaking the car when filling up. Or run a hose in the tank and see if you can un stick it.
This is my guess as well. Take the filler neck off the tank, if you can, and see if you can easily push that ball in. It might be sticking and if it is when you push it in, it won't spring back out.

I have one in my custom tank for roll over purposes - ie if I roll over, no gas will spill.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

i was looking at one of my programs i use at work and there was a case just like yours and the pulled the tank and installed a new evap vent valve and it fixed the problem.i forget do you have a check engine light on?
Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Teching In

I have had this problem a few times with car that sit for a while, one was a 06 Saab 97X Suv same as an Envoy, I pulled the vent line loose on the filler neck and then put some conpressed air to it, this frees up the ck ball then everthing works fine after that
Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 AM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnson73801
i was looking at one of my programs i use at work and there was a case just like yours and the pulled the tank and installed a new evap vent valve and it fixed the problem.i forget do you have a check engine light on?
No SEL, but that seems to be the fix most people think will do it. I really don't want to drop the tank so ill mess with the one under the hood first.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Is this the one on the tank or the fuel rail?
It's the one on the rail Tommy.

I have the evap/purge solenoid off of my 01 if you need one.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:43 PM
TCW
On The Tree

That would be great. PM sent
Old 01-04-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TCW
Dammit, lol I couldnt find any kinks. I really dont want to take the tank out not knowing where I am going to go with it after its out. I wish someone that had this problem and fixed it could chime in. O well, maybe I should drill a hole in the tank and route a little hose to the filler neck with a cap so that I can release any pressure when I fill the tank. Kinda like plastic gas jugs lol.

Also the little EVAP cap on the line by the fuel rail, should anything shoot out of that when I press the needle in. I don't know because it says max of one psi.
sorry i dont have any solution for you but i just wanted to tell you that your sig quote is ******* funny!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TCW
Well I tried swapping caps with a buddy to see if that might fix it as advised. It didn't. I came across this in another thread and thought it might help some people. Also I also put my ignition to ON to listen to the radio, this says that can make it difficult to fill. Ill try this next time I fill.

Also if anyone knows where to get a Service Manual let me know.
If you go to google and type in "helms service manual" the first link is the company that makes the GM manuals. I don't know if I can actually post the link or not, but the company name is "helminc". You can buy service manuals brand new right from them, or you can search ebay for them...I found mine on ebay for like $30 a couple years ago (before I got a Camaro...I bought it because of the LS1 swap in the other car...worked out kinda conveniently that I bought a Camaro later down the road).
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 AM

Think I got this one solved for you!

I had a customer bring me his 99 camaro 3.8 V6 with the same problem, I assume it is the same tank (maybe a different pump?). I dropped the tank after exhausting all other efforts including scan tools and EFI Live diagnostics ( I do EFI Live tuning for GM's). Here is a picture of the top of the tank, the problem was the EVAP canister vent valve/solenoid (small box next to charcoal canister with red two conductor connector). The spring inside of it popped out and was lodged in the rubber line between the valve and canister. This causes the valve to automatically close when even the slightest vent flow is created, although it will allow air back into the tank (reason why the car drove fine and had no fueling problems). It is a one way valve, but without the spring it closes during fuel tank filling. it also did not show up on diagnostics because it still works properly as far as the ECM can see (opens under vacuum). Pretty tough to diagnose!!

Rather than just stuffing the spring back in I decided to replace the unit, it was 30$ at the local GM parts dealer.

I will repost later tonight with more detailed pictures of valve and dislodged spring!

Customer is excited to fill his car at the gas station as he has been using cans a few gallons at a time for months!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.pelamotorsports.com/forum....php?p=520#520
Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 PM

I have updated the original posting with more pics, but this car has another gremlin that I have never seen before.

The ignition timing gets mysteriously advanced for no reason once the engine warms up. It was running great and then as I was driving it the timing jumped like 12 deg advanced and stayed (I actually watched it happen on the EFILive dashboard). Then it starts running like crap and missing and pinging as the knock retard shots up to like 15 deg!!!!! He mentioned it to me when he gave me the car ( I drove it when it was already warmand noticed the occasional missfire) but I just thought it was a tired V6, it actually had some good power when it was cold after the vent solenoid repair.

I will post in the appropriate forum!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
TCW
On The Tree

Thanks! Awesome post.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:42 AM
TCW
On The Tree

Heres an update, the last four times I fueled up I didn't leave the ignition on and the radio playing like I normally did. All four times the car fueled up fine, so I am hoping this fix wont stop when it gets warm. I will update again if it starts acting up again.

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Not Accepting Gas