Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Tank Not Accepting Gas

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Not Accepting Gas

Well after ready several threads with this problem I have yet to find a clear fix for this. It appears some EVAP solenoid may be bad or a pressure release/turnover valve stuck. But the problem is that 50% of the time when I fill up I can only get in a 1/2 gallon or less. Once it goes past 1/2 gallon I can pretty much always fill the tank up. This is annoying before a long trip when I need to try 3 or more stations before I can fill up.

Any ideas on what I need to do, I have pretty much decided I will need to remove the tank, but just need some help on where I should go from there. Also any P/N's would be great.

Also this has been going on for close to a year, but originally it might have appeared once a month or less. No SES light. Stock pump.

Thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

I don't understand how it could pressurize..the Gas Nozzle isn't an exact perfect seal, and neither is that little Valve that is there too.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
TCW
On The Tree

If I keep trying to fill it after it stops, it will fill the filler neck and run out.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts

You've got something in the way then..something is not allowing it to flow straight in.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:28 PM
TCW
On The Tree

I don't think so, a number of people have had this problem. It always seems to be intermittent. Just no one seems to hve posted any solutions.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought these cars have that ball in there so nobody can steal gas out your tank. Try shaking the car when filling up. Or run a hose in the tank and see if you can un stick it.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:55 PM
12 Second Club

That sounds like a EVAP problem. I bet you can get more gas in it when its either real cold out or early in the morning or late at night. What i think is happening is vapor lock and its not allowing gas to get into the tank. Might wanna check any vent/evap lines for kinks. Any competent tech with a visual inspection a tech 2 can find out what is causing your problem. Got any friends that work at a Gm dealer? might wanna think about having someone take a look at it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
That sounds like a EVAP problem. I bet you can get more gas in it when its either real cold out or early in the morning or late at night. What i think is happening is vapor lock and its not allowing gas to get into the tank. Might wanna check any vent/evap lines for kinks. Any competent tech with a visual inspection a tech 2 can find out what is causing your problem. Got any friends that work at a Gm dealer? might wanna think about having someone take a look at it.
This is what I was thinking, I guess I will try and follow the fuel line from the valve by the fuel rail back to the tank and see what I can find. Then pull the tank if I decided I need to replace the stuff there.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Dammit, lol I couldnt find any kinks. I really dont want to take the tank out not knowing where I am going to go with it after its out. I wish someone that had this problem and fixed it could chime in. O well, maybe I should drill a hole in the tank and route a little hose to the filler neck with a cap so that I can release any pressure when I fill the tank. Kinda like plastic gas jugs lol.

Also the little EVAP cap on the line by the fuel rail, should anything shoot out of that when I press the needle in. I don't know because it says max of one psi.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Come on guys. THINK

This NOT an Evap or vapor lock problem. Both or these problems would be dependent on the gas cap being ON the car (gas cap off = no pressure OR vacum in the tank). You simply have a problem with the tank not taking fuel. Most likely a result of the roll-over ball geting stuck in the up position. Nothing else could explain this. You might be able to put a rod or something down the neck to get it unstuck, but you'll have to drop the tank for a permanant fix.

Re
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

nothing should come out of the green cap. that 1psi is for testing for evap leaks
Old 12-12-2008, 11:20 AM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Come on guys. THINK

This NOT an Evap or vapor lock problem. Both or these problems would be dependent on the gas cap being ON the car (gas cap off = no pressure OR vacum in the tank). You simply have a problem with the tank not taking fuel. Most likely a result of the roll-over ball geting stuck in the up position. Nothing else could explain this. You might be able to put a rod or something down the neck to get it unstuck, but you'll have to drop the tank for a permanant fix.

Re

I would think this would be more than a 50/50 chance and would get worse with time like mine did.

Here is a PM I received that I am going to look into further and might help someone down the line.

Originally Posted by a-low
I had the same problem but mine wouldn't take
any gas period. It would also throw po440 code.
I would have to leave the gas cap off for about
an hour before it would take. Here's what a fellow techer sent me-
Try switching the Evap. solenoid. GM dealer told me that the fuel system runs self tests on it's own by allowing the tank to build up enough pressure to check for leaks. Your solenoid in turn releases the pressure into the throttle. Chances are that it is either your gas cap or the solenoid. Buy it directly from GM for about $25. Don't go to Autozone, they'll sell you one for $49.99 plus a two day wait for the special order part.

so I switched the solenoid and the cap and problem
solved. Good luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:46 AM
10 Second Club

I have witnessed vent solenoids causeing issues like this.
you can pull the vent off the filler neck then try to fill it
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BADAIR
I have witnessed vent solenoids causeing issues like this.
you can pull the vent off the filler neck then try to fill it
The way I understand it is, there is a EVAP(Vent?) solenoid by the fuel rail. Some EVAP thing on top of the tank. And you say there is a vent on the filler neck? Is it bolted on? Would I access it from under the or am I missing something?

Thanks

Also forgot to check this thread.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

There is a evap purge solenoid on the engine, or under the hood and a evap vent solenoid that could likely be your problem is located underneath the car near the fuel tank. Unhook the hose from that and then try to fill it. The are known to stick. I have changed several on gm cars. They usually set some sort of evap code though. Not sure if it makes a differance if the car is running or not but maybe take note of that next time and try turning the car off if it is running.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsds500
There is a evap purge solenoid on the engine, or under the hood and a evap vent solenoid that could likely be your problem is located underneath the car near the fuel tank. Unhook the hose from that and then try to fill it. The are known to stick. I have changed several on gm cars. They usually set some sort of evap code though. Not sure if it makes a differance if the car is running or not but maybe take note of that next time and try turning the car off if it is running.
The one on top of the tank?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM
9 Second Club

I havent done a f-body with the plastic tank but the older ones are in the front of the tank, Yours should be the same. You shouldnt have to remove the tank, just jack it up and look at it, it has a 2 wire connector and a 5/8 or 3/4 hose attached to it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
TCW
On The Tree

Well I tried swapping caps with a buddy to see if that might fix it as advised. It didn't. I came across this in another thread and thought it might help some people. Also I also put my ignition to ON to listen to the radio, this says that can make it difficult to fill. Ill try this next time I fill.

Originally Posted by quikz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poor Fuel Fill Quality
Problem
Causes

DEFINITION: During the fueling process a continual, occasional or no fuel nozzle shut-off condition has occurred.

Difficult to fill
• Fuel fill limiter vent valve stuck closed

• Evaporative emission (EVAP) canister restricted

• EVAP vent valve stuck closed

• Hose between canister and canister vent solenoid twisted or kinked if applicable

• High fuel temperature

• Fuel filler hose is kinked

• Faulty dispensing nozzle

• Ignition switch ON, vent valve closed

Over fill
• Fill limiter vent valve stuck open or leaking

• Fuel inlet check valve stuck open

Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle occurs immediately after engaging dispensing nozzle, tank empty
• Restricted vapor lines or fuel fill pipe

• High fuel temperature

• Inlet check valve at tank stuck closed, fill pipe full of fuel

• Fuel tank full, gage not accurate

Pre-mature shut-off of the fuel dispensing nozzle, more than 1/8 of tank capacity dispensed
• Kinked, pinched or plugged lines in fuel tank vent system

• EVAP vent valve stuck closed or restricted

• EVAP canister restricted

• Fuel limiting vent valve stuck closed or obstruction at top of fuel tank

Fuel Spitback
• Restricted EVAP canister

• High fuel temperature

• Ignition switch ON, EVAP vent valve closed

Also if anyone knows where to get a Service Manual let me know.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Veteran

I have this problem about once every 4 months. It seems to happen more when the ambient outside air is near freezing.

No resolution, yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

dude i think ur turning this into a way bigger problem then it is i had the same issue get about 30 cents of gas in and it would come shooting out so since i had to get gas cuzz i was on empty i took my antenna off and stuck it down there and hit the check ball and it released all the pressure and i was able to fill up so i called my buddy at the dealer and he told me i needed a new evap purge solenoid its on the front drivers side of the intake so i went and picked it up fo about 20 bucks from gm and problem solved

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Not Accepting Gas