Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Is my pump bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my pump bad?

I have been having an issue with my car, it will die when coming to a stop. It acts the worse when it is hot out, temps in the 80's and the car is running at 195 or hotter. Yesterday I put a fuel pressure gauge on it during these hot temps and pressure just kept going down until it finally died. There was two times when after dying it would not start back up unless I held the throttle down about half way and the pump was much louder then usual. It runs fine when its cool. I have an LS2 with a magna supercharger. I have an in tank walbro GSS340 pump. There is a relay between the pump and ecm. How do I test the pump? I am wondering if I am not getting enough voltage but why would it act up when hot out and not all the time? Will a fuel pump booster work? Is the one pump sufficient for my set up? Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 10:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
I have been having an issue with my car, it will die when coming to a stop. It acts the worse when it is hot out, temps in the 80's and the car is running at 195 or hotter. Yesterday I put a fuel pressure gauge on it during these hot temps and pressure just kept going down until it finally died. There was two times when after dying it would not start back up unless I held the throttle down about half way and the pump was much louder then usual. It runs fine when its cool. I have an LS2 with a magna supercharger. I have an in tank walbro GSS340 pump. There is a relay between the pump and ecm. How do I test the pump? I am wondering if I am not getting enough voltage but why would it act up when hot out and not all the time? Will a fuel pump booster work? Is the one pump sufficient for my set up? Thanks

If your fuel pressure fell then you have a bad pump. When you turn the key on without engaging the starter the pump kicks on for like 2 seconds. You can hear it run.

As far as the single pump being enough, it depends on how much power you are putting down. Some people use a Boost A Pump. I run a hotwire kit on my wifes car. It put down 501 rwhp on a single pump with nitrous.

Forced Induction cars require more fuel. I run 2 intank pumps on my turbo car.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by code4
If your fuel pressure fell then you have a bad pump. When you turn the key on without engaging the starter the pump kicks on for like 2 seconds. You can hear it run.

As far as the single pump being enough, it depends on how much power you are putting down. Some people use a Boost A Pump. I run a hotwire kit on my wifes car. It put down 501 rwhp on a single pump with nitrous.

Forced Induction cars require more fuel. I run 2 intank pumps on my turbo car.
The pump does come on I can hear it run and as I said the two times it died and wouldn't start back up unless I held the gas the pump was much louder.

The engine made 650 HP on the engine dyno but I am only running about 6lbs of boost.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depending on how you have it installed, you could have a problem besides the pump.

I stock the Racetronix kits if interested.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it is not voltage or the filter so must be the pump. I will order a new one. Two questions a) should I add a pump booster as well b) anyone ever use the foam sleeve that they make to quiet the pumps

thanks

Last edited by edge04; 06-29-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

A while back my vent hose from my tank was leaking, pressure was building up and turning to liquid and coming out the end of the hose (I do not have it vented to a can or anything). I could not find a vented gas cap so I drilled a hole in my cap. Do you think that maybe the problem is that my tank can't build pressure so the ECM thinks there is a problem?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

mine just did the exact same thing, id get to the same spot on the way to work and it would die, about 20 minute drive. i put a fuel pressure gauge on it and let it idle and in about 20 the fuel pressure would drop until it died, took about 15 seconds from the time it started stumbling until it died. pressure went from 58 psi down to 15 and it died. i replaced the fuel pump and no more issues except the new pump has about 7 psi more pressure.

Last edited by Chesty for President; 06-30-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: im retarded left out details
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

not to pirate your post bu tI have a very similar problem. Mine is on my 6.0 in my 88 suburban. It will idle fine and run up to two thousand or so rpm than it will just not go any farther no matter how far i press the pedal down. can hear it sucking air but no go. When i first start it and take off it runs great for a few minute s at WOT and everything but after it warms up it just won't. I noticed the pump is loud once it gets to this point of no power about 3 minutes of running. What do you guys think? Bad pump filters are new so i don't think its that.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been doing a lot of research and it is the pump. What caused the pump to go bad is a different story, I am chalking it up to just a bad pump. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that why does it only act up under idle or coming to a stop? You would think if the pump is going it would act up under all loads?
Old 07-01-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Regular

my fuel pressure is starting to drop as well. I run the intank racetronix setup and 3 of those racetronix pumps have gone bad on me. My setup is the racetronix pump kit and KB boost-a-pump. im thinking of just doing a dual intank setup