Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Problem with New Edelbrock XT Pro-flo.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Problem with New Edelbrock XT Pro-flo.

Hey guys, I got a problem I hope you guys can help me with. I bought this XT Pro-Flo to replace my Old Vic Jr. set-up that I wasn't too happy with and felt the XT would better suit my needs, here's a couple shots of it so you get the idea...

Anyways the injectors I have are RC Racing 72lb injectors and they are considered "wide body" when compared to smaller sized injectors. Problem is Edelbrock designed these intakes with narrow body injectors in mind because the fuel rail bracket get in the way of the injectors sitting flush in the injector hole...

You can see that their bracket covers up the intake grove that was bored into the side of the runner (poor designing IMO)

Anyways, I put the brackets on a grinder and cut them down to where they fit better and don't interfere with the injectors...
(This is about half way through the grinding process, they are actually ground down a lot more so that there would be no clearance issues)

Now my problem lies with the injectors hitting the allen head bolt and I can't just grind the heads of them so my question is are there and super low profile bolts I can use? Or does anyone else see a way around my problem? I don't understand why they would design their intake in such a way but it's really turning into a PITA!
I can get some pictures if necessary of what the injectors hitting the allen head bolts look like.
Thanks for any help.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 PM
10 Second Club

i know this may sound crazy but how about counter sinking and using countsink screws?
Old 08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna try countersinking them like mentioned and get some screws to match. That should take care of the problem!
Thanks again!
Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

And I look forward to hearing the results...hope its with boost !!!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is what I've come up with so far, not ideal by any means but we'll see how it holds up. I've thrown around the idea of countersinking the brackets on a drill press and getting some countersink screws but before I do that I chose to shave down the brackets in the following way...

This is my first run shaving off the excess material on the brackets...

After putting them on it cleared the lower portion of the injector well enough but still got hung up on the upper portion of the injector...

I put the brackets back under the grinder for one more pass so that they could clear the upper portion of it. While I was there I had originally decided on flattening down one side of the washers, but eventually that became a moot point as you will later see.

This is what the brackets looked like in order to make them fit...

This is with the brackets mounted and the washers on, not aligned yet as you can see...

According to Edelbrock only one bolt is really necessary but because of the hack job I'm doing on the brackets I'm putting two on for the peace of mind it will give me. In reality all they are doing is keeping the fuel rail from popping up vertically which this should do the job.

With the bracket material out of the way the next thing that the injectors hit is the bolts themselves which told me that the Bracket + washers + bolts were too tall of a combination for the injectors to fit...

So I decided to take out the washers completely and put the bolts in without them...

The washers, unless I'm missing something are only there to add additional surface area to the clamping force of the bolt. Their not gonna keep the bolt from walking itself loose/keep the bolt tight. Regardless there was no other way to make the injectors fit so for now, this with a little loc-tight is the best way I can figure short of countersinking the brackets.

Also, prior to the XT I had a Victor Jr. and these injectors worked well on that intake because of the available spacing that accompanied the fuel rail bracketry. I don't have a clear picture of the intake with the injectors in but you can see from this picture all the space provided for in order to fit different injectors.

The Pro-flow XT was designed for the Edelbrock pico style or the skinny siemens injectors but all injectors that I know of that are this size (72lb'ers) or the larger 96lb'ers that I'm gonna need in a few months are wide bodied in order to house the larger solenoid. So this intake as of now is limited in it's application if I'm not mistaken, no? I don't see what the need was to place the brackets so close to the injectors to begin with. There is plenty of available real estate on the intake to locate two brackets without having to put them so close to injector holes that it was bound to cause a problem. I think over engineering would be an appropriate term here but whatever, no point getting upset over it!
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
And I look forward to hearing the results...hope its with boost !!!
It's gonna be something a little different than what were used to but it will be FI.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hijack,

were did you get the valve covers?

want to sell them?

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
sorry to hijack,

were did you get the valve covers?

want to sell them?

Valve covers were built by a company called ABear. They used to be a sponsor on here but they are now out of business. A friend of mine just got some similar covers but the coil packs are mounted on a bracket outside the valve covers rather than being concealed inside like mine. And sorry but I'm not selling them.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is a very nice looking intake, looks like you got the mounting problem with the rails all lined out. Cant wait to see what kind of power it makes for you. Then all of us with Fbodies can start cutting and hacking the cowl panels and windshields out of our cars. I have already thought about getting a speedglass windshield and having it water jet cut.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:06 AM
9 Second Club

Siemens do 83lb injectors now thin style, and there are some small Bosch injectors at circa 1000cc ( 96lb )

Either will way outperform the RC 750's, which IMO are just ok.

I want one of those manifolds lol
Old 08-13-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Aren't those Siemens just 60lb'ers but to make them flow 83lbs it's necessary to ramp up your fuel pressure to 80psi or something?
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 AM
9 Second Club

No, they are modified Siemens with the pintle cap re-drilled as far as I am aware.

Although some say there are new 83lb out there used in some Ford, that people are selling, apparently not modified..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ok kool, thanks.
As far as one injector out-performing the other, are you baseing this on flow tests done on a bench or by tuning, or...? What do you mean by out-perform basically? If need be I could swap these out to something else eventually. Never heard a negative review about them up to now that's all.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

The 750's dont spray nice, so make idle etc....not hard, but not as easy to get good emissions levels.

And when I switched from the 60's to the RC 73's, I actually had to make minimal changes to the tune to maintain AFR's

Its part of the reason I dumped the RC's in favour of 2 inj per cylinder...all Siemens of course.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
9 Second Club

The 750's dont spray nice, so make idle etc....not hard, but not as easy to get good emissions levels.

And when I switched from the 60's to the RC 73's, I actually had to make minimal changes to the tune to maintain AFR's

Its part of the reason I dumped the RC's in favour of 2 inj per cylinder...all Siemens of course.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you mill that whole bracket mounting pad down a bit further, you should be good to go. You might also need to flatten the bracket a bit, instead of the big "z" shaped offset. (I'm using the same manifold, except in bare aluminum finish, with 160's.)

Last edited by RAACCR; 08-13-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine look different then yours.

were the tb goies did you mill that down at all? or cut the gasket gruve?

mine has none of that. i think i got ripped off.

second i cant bolt my ls2 tb to it.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
mine look different then yours.

were the tb goies did you mill that down at all? or cut the gasket gruve?

mine has none of that. i think i got ripped off.

second i cant bolt my ls2 tb to it.
I don't wanna say you got ripped off but what you did get was one of the first production runs of manifolds. They didn't run a groove for a TB gasket and they didn't have variety of different mounting holes for the Throttle Body like the later ones do.
They didn't think much about it but Richard @ WCCH, who I bought mine from pressed them into making a groove into the 2nd run of manifolds they made. I would recommend sending your manifold to Richard @ WCCH and he will CnC a groove for you. But you can also just RTV the thing and it will work, just not as well.
He also laid into Edelbrock pretty good about not supplying mounting bolts with their kit... I like edelbrock and they have good products and a good reputation but they were a little anxious to get this product out on the market IMO. Could of done a better job of thinking some of these things through.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:07 PM
9 Second Club

All this chit chat.....what about some results !!!! lol
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Waiting on some parts from Summit, if all goes well maybe next week. But when do things ever go right?

Quick Reply: Problem with New Edelbrock XT Pro-flo.