Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

racetronix fuel pump assembly installation question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default racetronix fuel pump assembly installation question

I am about to replace my fuel pump assembly on my stock 2000 formula firebird by cutting an access panel and I was planning on getting the racetronix fuel pump assembly. Sice I am doing this via cutting an access panel I wont be removing the tank which means I cant use their new harness, will I be able to use factory harness for the new assembly? will it supply enough power? and will it even connect to factory wiring?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 AM
On The Tree

No it will not that is reason for the new wiring heavier gauge to run the Racetronix pump.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

It will run with the factory wiring but it's not good for the pump and most likely won't last very long. You can run the harness with the tank in place though, that's how I did mine.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:48 PM

ok so you did yours by cutting an acess panel and was able to use the harness? you have pics of your access panel? and did you wire it to the alternator like they suggest?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can still instal the hot wire kit.

I keep both the pumps & wire harnesses in stock. Feel free to call if I can help.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00blackfirebirdform
ok so you did yours by cutting an acess panel and was able to use the harness? you have pics of your access panel? and did you wire it to the alternator like they suggest?
Yes I just cut out the panel and was able to run the harness through there. You can also drop the tank down a few inches to make it easier if you want.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just did mine this weekend, just bite the bullet and drop the tank, it's not that difficult. I did it in about 3 hours up on jackstands in my driveway. That included time to stop and drink beer and have lunch. Trust me, if you spill gas all over the inside of your car when you pull the pump out you'll be cussing.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Launching!

i just cut the access hole and swapped pumps today and the tank was a little under full and i didn't spill a drop inside the car so it can be done. i'm extremely happy that i cut the hole and didn't have to spend an afternoon on my back under the car. didn't have time to run the harness though, doesn't look to bad.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It's really not that hard to drop the tank - I have a 12 bolt and didn't need to drop the rear beyond normal suspension sag to slide the tank out.

You may also have a hard time trying to get the pump assembly locking ring off in the tight confines of the access hatch. It took me a good hour or so of PB Blaster and whacking it with a (non sparking!) brass chisel to loosen the ring enough to pry it off.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
It's really not that hard to drop the tank - I have a 12 bolt and didn't need to drop the rear beyond normal suspension sag to slide the tank out.

You may also have a hard time trying to get the pump assembly locking ring off in the tight confines of the access hatch. It took me a good hour or so of PB Blaster and whacking it with a (non sparking!) brass chisel to loosen the ring enough to pry it off.
That's wierd you had such a hard time getting the ring off. I had mine off in about a minute through the access hole using a screwdriver and hammer.