Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Can I use a racetronik wire kit on a walbro pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can I use a racetronik wire kit on a walbro pump?

I have a walbro 255 kit but I see a lot of people using racetronik's wire harness. Can I just get the hotwire kit and use it on my walbro pump? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes u can...i was doing the same thing
Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing for dual walbro correct? I can still use the harness? Thanks!!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes...if you are talking about the power line from the battery to the tank.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MECHAM
yes...if you are talking about the power line from the battery to the tank.
Racetronics told me that their harness should not be use for a dual installation. I am thinking they wanted to sell me two harnesses. I understand lots of people are using the harness for a dual 340 pump install with no issues. The harness comes with a 40amp relay. Max current draw from two pump should not exceed 20 to 25 amps total.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

but the wire may only be 10 gauge, so that may be why they did not reccomend it for that application.

They sized the wire to minimize voltage drop for a single pump application. If you are doing a dual pump setup, I would just make my own harness, since you would not want to use the stock connector anyways to power the pump, since it is not rated for that current draw.

Ryan
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to examine that relay. Most Bosch-style relays are 40 Amp on 87a (active when off) and 30 Amp on 87 (active when on). The harness uses 87, which limits the draw to 30 Amps. The startup current draw on any electric motor is always more than the current draw when it is running. Thus, it is possible that you would exceed the capacity of the relay.
Slow. the power wire is listed as 10 gauge. And you are correct, it is sized to minimize the power drop. While it could be used, you would be increasing the power drop, which would decrease the efficiency of the system.
You best bet is to install a second harness for the second pump. It should also have a different activation source, such as a Hobbs switch or a window switch.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM
FormerVendor

You want to use 2 separate systems for daul pumps one 10ga wire is not enough to power both pumps. and you want to run them individually one all the time second when needed you will over heat the fuel and kill your new pumps.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
You may want to examine that relay. Most Bosch-style relays are 40 Amp on 87a (active when off) and 30 Amp on 87 (active when on). The harness uses 87, which limits the draw to 30 Amps. The startup current draw on any electric motor is always more than the current draw when it is running. Thus, it is possible that you would exceed the capacity of the relay.
Slow. the power wire is listed as 10 gauge. And you are correct, it is sized to minimize the power drop. While it could be used, you would be increasing the power drop, which would decrease the efficiency of the system.
You best bet is to install a second harness for the second pump. It should also have a different activation source, such as a Hobbs switch or a window switch.
I spoke with Hella about their weather resistant 40amp relays and they said they can handle the load no problem. I also spoke with a guy that has the same dual 340's in his car with the racetronics harness and the highest total spike he has seen was 18 amps at first turn on. They run constant at around 16 amps.