Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98 z28 fpr

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z28 fpr

Does anyone know the location of the Fuel pressure regulator? b/c the dealership will sell you one for about $126, but they couldnt tell me where its located either. I keep hearing mixed opinions i.e its in the tank, or on top of the engine...im lost and im not even sure if thats whats causing my problem

Quick run down: sometime i have a hard start where i have to prime the key 3-5 time before it will fire up, also after i drive the car 5+ miles and turn it off when i start it again and start driving it stumbles and stumbles for a couple seconds and bam runs fine again. once i try to go WOT it stumbles then kicks like usual but it blows a quick puff of black smoke. the car has felt hesitant for a while now since the issue started but i cant pinpoint the problem. any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2010, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Keith_Shapiro
Does anyone know the location of the Fuel pressure regulator? b/c the dealership will sell you one for about $126, but they couldnt tell me where its located either. I keep hearing mixed opinions i.e its in the tank, or on top of the engine...im lost and im not even sure if thats whats causing my problem

Quick run down: sometime i have a hard start where i have to prime the key 3-5 time before it will fire up, also after i drive the car 5+ miles and turn it off when i start it again and start driving it stumbles and stumbles for a couple seconds and bam runs fine again. once i try to go WOT it stumbles then kicks like usual but it blows a quick puff of black smoke. the car has felt hesitant for a while now since the issue started but i cant pinpoint the problem. any suggestions?
It may be un-related to your fuel system, you need to put a gauge on it and mount it somewhere where you can read it and see what your fuel pressure is doing. As far as the cause, yes could be the regulator but also could be the pump itself, they have a check-valve in the outlet to keep the line primed after shutoff.

In any case, your regulator is located in your tank in your fuel pump/sending unit module.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like said above its sounds like the check valve in the pump.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

sooo i have to drop the tank correct?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we already told you the location of the FPR on RWHP.. Do you not trust any of us on their??
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sooo i have to drop the tank correct?
Yes. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

djfury.....

that was weeeekkksss ago, no disrespect i just havent been on there in while!!! i always trust you guys!!!

I dont have a pressure gauge! autozone will!
Old 09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

djfury.....

that was weeeekkksss ago, no disrespect i just havent been on there in while!!! i always trust you guys!!!

Put a gauge on it while trying to start the car. If you have to cycle the key several times before the pressure builds then the check valve in the pump is bad and allowing the fuel to travel back to the tank instead of holding fuel in the line. This is a common problem with Gm pumps.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:02 AM
10 Second Club

djfury.....

what are you in a time machine lol? your beginning post for that thread was on Sept 1st 2010 lol?

Don't get a shitty fuel pressure guage from autozone either.. order a good piece online somewhere. You definitely don't want a knock off fpg if you are chasing a fuel issue.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

well yesterday i removed the fuel rail for ***** and giggles just to see how easy it was, but everything back together it took about 35 min total. I jump in and try and start it and click...nothing i have power everywhere it just wont crank, so i took the battery to autozone and they gave me a new one i hooked it up today and click...same thing WTF am i missing here?
Old 09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

well yesterday i removed the fuel rail for ***** and giggles just to see how easy it was, but everything back together it took about 35 min total. I jump in and try and start it and click...nothing i have power everywhere it just wont crank, so i took the battery to autozone and they gave me a new one i hooked it up today and click...same thing WTF am i missing here?
is the fuel pump priming? any grounds loose? all the accessories work? check for pressure at the rails.. turn the key to ON but don't start it and take off the small black cap on the driver side fuel rail and press a screw driver in on the schrader valve with some paper towel handy to catch fluid. There should be gas coming out. Is VATS blinking?
Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 AM
On The Tree

well i took the starter off, took it to autozone and had them test it and it was good, i got home and put it back on and the car fired right up!!! i didnt touch anything else!
Old 09-14-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

you have a 98, just cut an access panel in the trunk area over the fuel pump and remove the fuel pump and bucket....... do a search on the access panel it is a VERY common mod to do , and easy.