Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bogging Problem, What is it? :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging Problem, What is it? :(

If i am going into a right turn (does not happen during a left turn), and begin to acccelerate out out if, my car seems to seriously bog down for a second, then catch itself and continue accelerating. What could be causing this problem? It seems to only be during tight right turns, and every time it occurs i noticed i have 1/4 tank of gas or less. Could the two front O2 sensors that went bad cause this by making my car run rich, and when accelerating out of the turn provide too much fuel and in turn causing the bogging sensation? I have two new ones on the way, but any other ideas what it could be?
Old 10-26-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 98z28CamaroJG
Could the two front O2 sensors that went bad cause this by making my car run rich...
Did you replace the O2 sensors, or still running the failed ones?
Old 10-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Launching!

still running the bad ones, haven't gotten the new ones yet, they're supposed to be here tomorrow
Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

still running the bad ones, haven't gotten the new ones yet, they're supposed to be here tomorrow
Disconnect the battery and clear the PCM while you're installing the new ones, so any stored fuel trim data will be erased and it will be operating from the base calibration when you start it w/ the new O2 sensors installed.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Launching!

By clearing my PCM do you mean taking a code scanner and deleting the codes? Not sure how to delete stuff off my PCM...And it won't effect the tune i got either would it?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Teching In

have you thought bout fuel level sensor, or a problem with the pump picking up the fuel? inertia switch? don't really see how the o2's would do this. If you guys have insight, please inform me.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

By clearing my PCM do you mean taking a code scanner and deleting the codes? Not sure how to delete stuff off my PCM...And it won't effect the tune i got either would it?
No, I mean leaving the PCM unpowered long enough for the stored fuel trim data to clear. You'll want the battery disconnected while you're replacing the O2 sensors anyway, that should take plenty long enough for the PCM to reset.

This is important, because your bad O2 sensor(s) would likely have fed bad data to the PCM causing the Long Term Fuel Trim data to be skewed. With new O2 sensors you want it to start with a clean slate.

Calibration data is stored to flash memory, so it will not be affected and any custom tuning that was performed will be there when you reconnect the battery.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by THErobertH
have you thought bout fuel level sensor, or a problem with the pump picking up the fuel? inertia switch? don't really see how the o2's would do this. If you guys have insight, please inform me.
Mostly reasonable points, but I'm keying on this piece:

Could the two front O2 sensors that went bad cause this...
He seems to know that his two front O2 sensors are not functioning. Not much point diagnosing further until he has a properly-functioning powertrain control system.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=He seems to know that his two front O2 sensors are not functioning. Not much point diagnosing further until he has a properly-functioning powertrain control system.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by THErobertH
These are wonderful ideas thank you! My fuel level varies a lot! Sometimes I turn my car on and I think...omg did someone siphon off an 1/8 of my gas?! I never would have thought of that. Where that fuel level sensor located? Also what is the inertia switch and where is that?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by crainholio
No, I mean leaving the PCM unpowered long enough for the stored fuel trim data to clear. You'll want the battery disconnected while you're replacing the O2 sensors anyway, that should take plenty long enough for the PCM to reset.

This is important, because your bad O2 sensor(s) would likely have fed bad data to the PCM causing the Long Term Fuel Trim data to be skewed. With new O2 sensors you want it to start with a clean slate.

Calibration data is stored to flash memory, so it will not be affected and any custom tuning that was performed will be there when you reconnect the battery.
I'll be aure to unplug the battery before replacing the O2 sensors to clear the PCM. Any amount of time you recommend keeping it disconnected to clear it? I have access to a lift so I should be able to swap my O2 sensors out in about 10 minutes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you have evidently been doing a lot of undercar work
(and have sensor issues) you might begin by inspecting
sensor wiring harnesses for chafing etc. that could short
signals to block variably.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Well i just found out my fuel sending unit assembly is bad. Pretty much everything but my fuel pump is shot. I guess that would explain alot haha