Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

New Aeromotive 340 in tank pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive Fuel Systems
Aeromotive has been producing high quality fuel systems components for over 15 years. We have done 1000's of hours of testing in E85. Does E85 reduce the life of fuel system components, yes. It's just the nature Ethanol based fuel. The longevity of this pump (Aeromotive 340) in E85 is hinged on the end users knowledge of this fuel. Placing E85 in a OEM gas system will more than likely cause premature pump failure. Most of this can be traced back to the OEM gas filter. We are putting together a tech bulletin to show the differences in factory Flex Fuel and factory gas fuel filters. It's a real eye opener. Just because this pump can provide the additional fuel needed for E85 doesn't make the rest of the system ready for it.
This doesn't answer my question...at all. You said a lot about what most of us already know about OEM fuel systems but nothing about the pump. I'm not trying to be an ***, I just want to learn.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha, there's a whole lot o' beatin' round the bush going on in this thread...

It's become quite apparant they are less than proud of where this is made, even though I actually doubt it would truly matter to a majority of those interested in purchasing, even if it were actually China or Mexico... It's almost worse that nobody can give a straight-forward one-word answer to that particular question and instead try to feed their customers some distracting bs vague answer about it.

And r&d'ing something for only 25,000miles, to me at least, is less than impressive. A 1 year warranty may be pretty standard, but to me, as someone who would like to use such a product in a vehicle that may even be a daily driver, is not all that reassuring...

I am still quite interested in seeing where this product leads to, but even regardless of the fact no straight answers can be had in this thread, I typically always tend to shy away from picking up a product from a first batch or model year...

There were some people at the Autorama I just went to this past weekend who were representing Aeromotive, and I kind of wanted to check it out in person, but they honestly did not have much information on this new pump, they didn't even have one on display yet....
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShredSled
And r&d'ing something for only 25,000miles, to me at least, is less than impressive. A 1 year warranty may be pretty standard, but to me, as someone who would like to use such a product in a vehicle that may even be a daily driver, is not all that reassuring...
+1

My thoughts exactly and the reason I keep asking so many questions. I commute 40+ miles every day, year round. To put it plainly if I don't see something better than the half-assed answers that have been provided thus far I'm not putting one of these in my car.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Launching!

I have been reading this thread from the start and typically do not post in many threads. I am very disappointed in the response I have gotten from Aeromotive, period. I sent a PM on here weeks ago with no response and emailed them directly through their website. I got a less than half assed response via email, I asked them to actually answer my questions and I received no further answers. I say this because I was ready to purchase two of these pumps as long as my questions were answered sufficiently. I like most of you want my questions answered prior to passing out my hard earned money. Aeromotive has lost a sale to me at least. There are already good fuel pumps on the market available from vendors who actually respect the customer and appreciate their business.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you sent a PM and an email, and didn't get what you were looking for. That's understandable...not a lot of companies can afford to dedicate a lot of time to answering every single email/PM they might get.

But did you try calling them? They even posted their phone number in this thread. I understand your frustration, but it doesn't sound like you exhausted all options, including the one that would probably get you the answers you were looking for.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JZHeyde
I have been reading this thread from the start and typically do not post in many threads. I am very disappointed in the response I have gotten from Aeromotive, period. I sent a PM on here weeks ago with no response and emailed them directly through their website. I got a less than half assed response via email, I asked them to actually answer my questions and I received no further answers. I say this because I was ready to purchase two of these pumps as long as my questions were answered sufficiently. I like most of you want my questions answered prior to passing out my hard earned money. Aeromotive has lost a sale to me at least. There are already good fuel pumps on the market available from vendors who actually respect the customer and appreciate their business.
Would you mind sharing what you asked?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Guys, please do not think that we are that naïve. The 340 Fuel Pump has been tested for well over 100,000+ miles in gasoline. Just like all of our products are tested before we release them to market. I personally have one that I am running in E85 and have just crested the 25,000 mile mark. That's all. Just stating that these have undergone significant testing in multiple fuels for thousands of hours. This fuel pump is not our first rodeo.

Stay tuned for our technical bulletin that we will post in regards to OE / E85 Fuel Systems. This will shed some light on some of the limitations we are discussing here. We, like a lot of you guys have learned a lot recently since the release of this pump. Many of things we have learned have come from you guys and the calls we have taken. Its difficult to know everything about every application and every possible use of this pump. We are always surprised when a call comes in with an application we never considered or haven't ever tried. As we learn more and more and can apply our knowledge and experience of fuel delivery components to these systems, we will always try our best to pass that information along.

We sincerely invite your phone calls. There is a lot that can be accomplished in a short conversation. We will be open and honest and will do everything in our power to ensure your confidence in our products. We do not design and manufacturer anything that we don't run on our own cars. Everything we've ever designed and made has come from a problem we learned about on our own vehicles. Whether its one of our race cars or one of our guys' daily drivers. Its for this reason that we do everything in our power to stand behind what we make. The Aeromotive 340 is no exception.

Please call me personally if you'd like to discuss anything. My number is 913-647-7300 x110

JZHeyde, PM sent.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:31 PM
Launching!

I did call and speak with someone after leaving multiple messages, I should have also put that in my post but I forgot I tried to call a few times, first I might add. I am a reasonable person and I am not flaming anyone on here, just stating my experience. I work for a small company with limited manpower and we ALWAYS get back to our customers and potential customers. It is our customers who keep us in business, if you cant respond to them you are not doing your job. I definitely exhausted all avenues to get in touch with Aeromotive and feel as though I should not have to track someone down after emails, phone calls, and a PM. In this day and age you only have small window of opportunity to impress a potential customer and I was not impressed. Aeromotive has done a lot of talking in this thread and that is why I tried to contact them, unfortunately their response time was not even close to being reasonable. We are talking at least a week here, maybe more.

Aeromotive - I got your email and unfortunately you are too late with your answers. I fabricated what I needed and will be using two walbro's instead. I appreciate your response and appology but it is not needed. I am sure the fuel pump is a very good unit but I feel I was let down by your customer service. I understand that it may take time to get back to someone if they send you a PM and I even understand that the PM's you get may not all be important to you. However, to the person that sent the PM it is important, and they are looking for answers to their questions. Why else would they have taken the time to craft a decent message and send it to you?
Old 03-01-2011, 03:35 PM
12 Second Club

What were you questions? I basically see an answer to everyones question in this thread? Sorry if it isn't in the post right after the question was asked but they are there. They have disclosed thier source, gas, e85, hp support, and **** like that. You guys seem like your on a man hunt.

Edit: Thought I should mention , JZHeyde, my post was not directed towards you. After I posted it and read it kind of came across that way. While I am interested in what your questions for Aero were. Only because I see the basics covered in the thread in prior posts. My post was more oriented to the people who post questions in the thread directed at a MANUFACTURER and are pissed because it isn't answered in a timely manner. That is was VENDERS are for. I would not be surprised in Aero can't answer because, well ya know they are a little busy making fuel pumps. I doubt they staff a 26k a year employee to sit on a computer and answer peoples forum questions.

Last edited by ShortChevy; 03-01-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Fuel Pump
Copper wires/windings should be sealed for E85, the Aeromotive340 has this (as many pump gas pumps also do), but the commutator on the top of the motor is copper.
Yes, bronze is not the worst metal in alcohol fuels, but it isn't good when it is very close to, or touching a dissimilar metal.
What I am trying to convey is that, other than the sealed armature, I don't see any other basic design standards that would warrant it being called an 'E85 fuel pump'
Thank you, that was the type of information I was wanting.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Short Chevy - no offense taken. My questions were not shared on the board because my setup does not fit an F-body related car. That is why I did not share the questions, I didnt want to clog up the thread with semi off topic questions. I have a 1963 nova with a rock river stainless tank and I had some questions related to intank fuel pumps and different options I may have.

I am sure Aeromotive does not have someone on here all day but they definitely dropped the ball on my questions. I feel as though I should not have to BEG someone to answer them. Its the same thing in this thread, everyone is asking some specific questions yet there are vague, at best, answers being provided. Oh well.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JZHeyde
Short Chevy - no offense taken. My questions were not shared on the board because my setup does not fit an F-body related car. That is why I did not share the questions, I didnt want to clog up the thread with semi off topic questions. I have a 1963 nova with a rock river stainless tank and I had some questions related to intank fuel pumps and different options I may have.

I am sure Aeromotive does not have someone on here all day but they definitely dropped the ball on my questions. I feel as though I should not have to BEG someone to answer them. Its the same thing in this thread, everyone is asking some specific questions yet there are vague, at best, answers being provided. Oh well.
Hey man no sweat, I understand. Sucks you couldn't get through to them. I have never dealt with them but never really heard anything bad. I just wanted to vent a little lol.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

This thread is quite comical.
As far as the e85 part goes, my neighbor had his OE pump fail on a 09 F-150 that runs on e85. That was with 20k on it. So what are the internal components made and comprised of? Even if this pump lasts a year and half it would have lasted longer than my last Walbro 255. And a year longer than the one before that. And I couldn't get through to them to get a warranty on the first one.
As for Aeromotive. They haven't answered every question answered on here, but I had all my questions answered when I called. It only took 5 minutes. The guy I talked to said they have been swamped with questions on this pump, and with it being a universal pump it makes it hard to answer everyones questions how they want them answered.
I'm not going to say this pump is the best thing since sliced bread. I have mine on order and only time will tell with it. But what did people say when Walbro came out with the 255?
Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
10 Second Club

so is anyone actually using this pump yet?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:30 PM
On The Tree

installing mine tomorrow, but changing some other as well so it`ll probably be the weekend before i know, it is a nice looking piece though
Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thndrracer
installing mine tomorrow, but changing some other as well so it`ll probably be the weekend before i know, it is a nice looking piece though
I guess you found the thread!
Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

anyone using this pump with updates/info?!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSpeed1
anyone using this pump with updates/info?!
thndrracer just put one in his 2000 Trans Am and hasn't had any problems yet. He had the Racetronix kit before and this pump dropped in sleeve where the Walbro went. He ended up drilling a hole in the top of the sender and wired it directly to the Racetronix relay which worked out well. Inside the car it's quieter than the Walbro 255. Maybe he will chime in on any problems!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboStangJON
thndrracer just put one in his 2000 Trans Am and hasn't had any problems yet. He had the Racetronix kit before and this pump dropped in sleeve where the Walbro went. He ended up drilling a hole in the top of the sender and wired it directly to the Racetronix relay which worked out well. Inside the car it's quieter than the Walbro 255. Maybe he will chime in on any problems!
There are a number of things mentioned here that are not recommended:

1 - Insertion of a wire through the sender will cause vapor leakage and wicking of fuel as well as a potential fire hazard by using this improper wiring method.

2 - Modification of the Racetronix harness will void its warranty

For future reference, Racetronix will have a new PnP harness, electrical bulkhead and in-tank wiring harness designed to handle the increased power demands of these new in-tank High Performance pumps. ETA 03/18/11. I plan to stock these items for those wishing to correctly upgrade their pumps.

Another issue directly related specifically to the '99up f-body is the loss of jet pump functionality and the ability to keep bucket full of fuel. This should be addressed to properly maintain the fuel level in the bucket. Starving the pump for fuel can have erratic effects on fuel pressure, not to mention the life of the pump can be severely compromised. I am currently looking into some components that can be used to maintain this functionality.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
I am currently looking into some components that can be used to maintain this functionality.
VERY interested in this. Finally someone besides racetronix is looking into a solution to this problem. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: New Aeromotive 340 in tank pump