Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

New Aeromotive 340 in tank pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think anyone is listening to that guy anyway....
Old 02-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will wish you had....this thread will be interesting to read back through in a few months when it gets to 20 pages
Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
I dont think anyone is listening to that guy anyway....
I am. He has a good point. I would like to see Aero's response.

Last edited by RedVertTA; 02-24-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

I had 1,977 Gallons of E85 run through a 2004 GTO fuel system with a walboro 255 in 2010. Replaced that pump with the 340 this last weekend. All of the terminals connections and wires were solid. Nothing was corroded nothing was damaged. Its not as corrosive as people think....
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 12sws27
Will these be application specific? Or will it be a universal type deal? I've want to upgrade the wiring to my pump in my 98 Jimmy but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it.
Currently we are targeting the plastic tank f-bodies & the GM trucks.
These are the most common. Others will follow as time & demand allows.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

"Mr. Fuel Pump",

It appears you have an agenda, and a vested interest, in sowing doubt and confusion with regard to these new pumps. This is obvious by your presence on every forum, and in every thread that relates. If you have legitimate question and/or concern, then have enough respect for the forum, and enough personal professionalism, to be transparent regarding who your are.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Aeromotive Fuel Systems,
I am not taking your daughter out for a date, we are chatting on a chat board about automotive parts, who I am should not be a major issue.
My concern is that your company is marketing this product as E85 compatible, but your manufacturer has not followed many basic industry standard design practices concerning E85 compliant fuel pumps, other than an encased armature. I feel it is misleading and that people should be made aware of it. They can choose to believe me or not; maybe it will work for them, maybe not.
If you want to shut me up, tell everyone about all the things that are special about your pump that make it E85 compatible versus a typical pump gas application pump, instead of worrying about who I am.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Aeromotive F.S. ... can I ask the country of origion for the pump? I've been through the thread and did not see it mentioned ... my appologies if I missed it.

Thx JH
Old 02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Fuel Pump
You will wish you had....this thread will be interesting to read back through in a few months when it gets to 20 pages
Considering you have put forth no credentials to backup your statements, perhaps you could start by answering my very specific and legitimate questions posted on the last page.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Technical discussion = okay

If it goes beyond that, the thread will be pruned and put back on track. Keep it clean, keep it respectful. Hiding behind a computer screen tends to make some people a little more bold with their accusations, but there is never an excuse for being disrespectful to others, whether it be a person or a company.

I think I've said enough. Consider it your only warning.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Considering you have put forth no credentials to backup your statements, perhaps you could start by answering my very specific and legitimate questions posted on the last page.
+1

I would like to see this response as well. The amount of accusations thrown around and the number of unanswered questions is unsettling.

I also look forward to seeing Aero's response to Mr Fuel Pump's accusations. Aero has not yet denied the technical aspects of what Mr Fuel Pump said. Quite frankly that makes me very uncomfortable about buying this pump. If he is wrong then please explain the technical reasons as to why instead of making a personal attack.

On a side note, and I believe most would agree with me when I say this, the issues you (Aero and Mr Fuel Pump) hold between each other have no effect on the way our cars run so we just don't care.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only thing I care about is how does this pump perform with good old fashioned 93 octane. If it outperforms the Walbro and will support 575-600 rwhp then I am in!!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jared H
Aeromotive F.S. ... can I ask the country of origion for the pump? I've been through the thread and did not see it mentioned ... my appologies if I missed it.

Thx JH
We answered this in post # 117. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by RedVertTA
+1

I would like to see this response as well. The amount of accusations thrown around and the number of unanswered questions is unsettling.

I also look forward to seeing Aero's response to Mr Fuel Pump's accusations. Aero has not yet denied the technical aspects of what Mr Fuel Pump said. Quite frankly that makes me very uncomfortable about buying this pump. If he is wrong then please explain the technical reasons as to why instead of making a personal attack.

On a side note, and I believe most would agree with me when I say this, the issues you (Aero and Mr Fuel Pump) hold between each other have no effect on the way our cars run so we just don't care.
Aeromotive has been producing high quality fuel systems components for over 15 years. We have done 1000's of hours of testing in E85. Does E85 reduce the life of fuel system components, yes. It's just the nature Ethanol based fuel. The longevity of this pump (Aeromotive 340) in E85 is hinged on the end users knowledge of this fuel. Placing E85 in a OEM gas system will more than likely cause premature pump failure. Most of this can be traced back to the OEM gas filter. We are putting together a tech bulletin to show the differences in factory Flex Fuel and factory gas fuel filters. It's a real eye opener. Just because this pump can provide the additional fuel needed for E85 doesn't make the rest of the system ready for it.

Originally Posted by 02SOMLS1WS6
The only thing I care about is how does this pump perform with good old fashioned 93 octane. If it outperforms the Walbro and will support 575-600 rwhp then I am in!!
Is this in a N/A or Forced induction application?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Very interesting! Does the filter that is supplied with the 340 pump fit the e85 rating? If not, is there a retrofit available?
Old 02-28-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by wkdivr
Very interesting! Does the filter that is supplied with the 340 pump fit the e85 rating? If not, is there a retrofit available?
The prefilter we include is but I'm refurring to the factory post filter (after the pump, mounted on the body or frame rail).
Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
...are there any electric fuel pumps that don't contain copper?

Serious question. I'm 100% sure the windings on my A1000 (rated for E85) and my Magnafuel (rated for E85) have copper windings and copper wires.

Also curious on the bronze, since that's what Top Fuel teams use for the injector jets for nitro/methanol due to how well it holds up (and it's easy to machine itsy bitsy holes in). Bronze can stand up to methanol/nitro, but not E85? That's odd.

Do the OE pumps have all stainless roller bearings in them to deal with this then?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, so don't take it that way, I just don't understand your point/need clarification.
Copper wires/windings should be sealed for E85, the Aeromotive340 has this (as many pump gas pumps also do), but the commutator on the top of the motor is copper.
Yes, bronze is not the worst metal in alcohol fuels, but it isn't good when it is very close to, or touching a dissimilar metal.
What I am trying to convey is that, other than the sealed armature, I don't see any other basic design standards that would warrant it being called an 'E85 fuel pump'
Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE Does E85 reduce the life of fuel system components, yes. It's just the nature Ethanol based fuel. The longevity of this pump (Aeromotive 340) in E85 is hinged on the end users knowledge of this fuel. Placing E85 in a OEM gas system will more than likely cause premature pump failure. Most of this can be traced back to the OEM gas filter. [/QUOTE]

Most experts will say that the longevity of a fuel pump in E85 is hinged on how well it is protected against electrolytic and galvanic corrosion of it's metal components. You also need to use the proper plastic and rubber materials as well.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aeromotive it will be in a FI system. For right now the car will be your typical 8lbs procharged car in the low 500ish range but in case I go to 10lbs in the future I would like a little flexibility.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Fuel Pump
[QUOTE Does E85 reduce the life of fuel system components, yes. It's just the nature Ethanol based fuel. The longevity of this pump (Aeromotive 340) in E85 is hinged on the end users knowledge of this fuel. Placing E85 in a OEM gas system will more than likely cause premature pump failure. Most of this can be traced back to the OEM gas filter.
Most experts will say that the longevity of a fuel pump in E85 is hinged on how well it is protected against electrolytic and galvanic corrosion of it's metal components. You also need to use the proper plastic and rubber materials as well.[/QUOTE]

Matt M.,

We understand the nature of electronics and materials in ethanol based fuels. Yes it will cause corrosion and electrolysis over time but there are many other factors that will influence this duration.

The pump is only one piece of the fuel system. Using the wrong supporting components will end a pumps service life long before the fuel will. Aeromotive carries a full one year warranty on this pump and all of our other products as well. We stand behind our products and the tech support we provide for them. If there is a failure in that time period, rest assured, we will take care of it.

This pump is just as reliable as any other intank fuel pump on the market todate. We have a Aeromotive 340 that has been in use with E85 for 25,000+ miles. Aeromotive appriates your concerns and I hope I have addressed each of them. If not, please feel free to give me a call. 913-647-7300 ext. 110.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

I will be calling tomorrow as I have a few questions for you about this pump.

Quick Reply: New Aeromotive 340 in tank pump