Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

problem with inline fuel pump, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problem with inline fuel pump, need opinions

I have an Aeromotive pump and two filters with -10 lines on my '88 LS2 Fiebird. It was installed by a shop and they placed everything in front of the axle, so it's tucked away, but they kept it pulling fuel from the top of the tank. Looking at the Aeromotive website, I see it should have been gravity fed.

Now the pump is going lean when it gets hot and I can't start the car after shutting it down; the pump has to cool about 30 min first. I'm already planning on making it feed from the bottom of the tank, but here are my questions:

1. Does the pump need airflow to stay cool? I'd like to keep it's current location, otherwise it'll hang pretty low behind the tank.

2. Will an Aeromotive controller fix the problem where it sits?

pics:

Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Verify voltage at the pump.. Low voltage is a heat generator.
Pulling from the top is not good. Your bottom feed mod will help.
Looks like a controller is a good idea, if the car is street driven..
I'm not real crazy about the 180* fittings.....
Where is the return fuel going into the tank?
Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

The car is street driven, so I'll plan on the controller. The return goes to the stock location at the top of the tank.

I have headers on the car, but the fuel lines actually run into the frame, so it doesn't run right next to the header. I have heat shields anywhere possible to try and keep fuel temps down, but the pump's still overheating. I'm not sure what the voltage is, but I've been thinking about connecting the pump straight to the alternator. Right now it's connected to the battery in the trunk.

Last edited by a10beav; 04-21-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The MagnaFuel MP-4302 is supposed to be rated for continous use and "never needs a step down" for current draw. Any opinions on switching to this, instead of using an Aeromotive with a controller?

The Weldon 600 seems to be popular here too.

Last edited by a10beav; 04-21-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

2 items:
1. Is the tank vent working? [Running the pump w/ a vac on the tank will heat it up. Cavitation]
2. Pumping heated fuel right onto the area that the pickup is in, doesn't help w/ pump heating up.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I think the vent is working; it doesn't gasp for air when I remove the filler cap. I see your point about the return line, so a bottom feed should help solve that problem. I'm just debating which pump to go with now.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the pump is not plumbed in so its in the return loop its going to over heat. I'm not sure how your system is setup but the constant flow of fuel back into the tank should keep it cool. Post up some details how the system is setup....regulator etc.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

It has -10 lines that run to the engine and back, with a filter before and after the pump. The lines pull fuel from the top of the tank and the return line dumps at the top. The regulator is up in the engine bay.

I'll change it to gravity feed, but I'd like to keep the pump where it is and this is a road driven. So I'm now looking at continuous run pumps or a controller for the Aeromotive. Any opinions would be great!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone else have opinions on a pump? I've found some info searching, but not many reviews from first-hand experience. I know I can keep an Aeromotive pump with a controller, but it would be a lot easier and cheaper if there's a good continous cycle pump (600+ hp).

Quick Reply: problem with inline fuel pump, need opinions