Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

120's are done-need something bigger for a DD

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
I'm running E85 now but have run pump also and I have the 95s and 120s in my vehicles. The other vehicles that I've tuned that had the 160s and 200s were on E85 as well.
I'll be running 93 and meth as I can't get E85 here. Wonder how much of an impact the E85 has on keeping those injectors in check.

EDIT: Just got off the phone with Jon (Fuel Injector Connection). He is running the 160s in a big nitrous motor with a sheet metal intake and no issues and has yet to see a problem with these injectors on an LS car. However, after talking to him for a good half hour we determined I am way over-injectored with the 160's (due to me using pump and meth vice E85). Jon is overnighting me a set of his new 120s to throw in and do some testing on. I will let everyone know what I think of these new injectors. Should be cracking 800rwhp on the low boost street tune.

Here are the new dynamically flow matched injectors. They flow 127 at 58psi and are NOT converted CNG injectors. Nice thing about these is they're compatible with all fuels including Q16.

Last edited by ls2 goat; 03-30-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Good call sir, you made a wise choice ditching the 1600's, regardless of the reason...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

So what exactly is the issue with the 1600's ?

Going from 1000cc to 2000cc+ is a huge leap. Somewhere in the middle would be nice
Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
So what exactly is the issue with the 1600's ?

Going from 1000cc to 2000cc+ is a huge leap. Somewhere in the middle would be nice
See NicD's answer below. From all the research I have done, there has not been an issue with the 160's in an LS motor to date. Seems to be all the EVO's, Supras, and Honda guy having problems. Apparently when the injector gets hot, the flow rate decreases. I think much has to do with the injector location as Nic states below.

Originally Posted by NicD
I believe it was only a heat issue related to the EVOs and a few others that have the injectors buried in the motor where they can seriously heatsoak. I've never seen it or heard of it happening on LS motors.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls2 goat
I'll be running 93 and meth as I can't get E85 here. Wonder how much of an impact the E85 has on keeping those injectors in check.

[B]EDIT: Just got off the phone with Jon (Fuel Injector Connection). He is running the 160s in a big nitrous motor with a sheet metal intake and no issues and has yet to see a problem with these injectors on an LS car. However, after talking to him for a good half hour we determined I am way over-injectored with the 160's (due to me using pump and meth vice E85). Jon is overnighting me a set of his new 120s to throw in and do some testing on. I will let everyone know what I think of these new injectors. Should be cracking 800rwhp on the low boost street tune.
I expect to get a text with results!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:57 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by onefastrx7turbo
Its not a moot point at all, because they had no idea there was an issue until ID recalled them. The fact remains that they do not have as much knowledge about these injectors as they claim they do. I think that they would continue to sell these injectors today, if ID had never found the problem first. This is based on the fact that they still sell these injectors, and recently had a group buy LOL. They are hardly steering customers away from them and if anything, trying to unload them onto customers.
FIC or ID never had an issue on LS cars-regardless, if there was an issue Jon offered me my money back or a replacement with any other injector. That alone was worth the call to FIC.

Hell when I first starting to talk to Jon he offered to flow my 120's and upgrade them to flow more-I'm the one that said the fug it and send me some 2000's.

He was trying to save me money, and help me out to see what's happening with the 120's.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Might be worth having the 120's tested just to see what they do actually flow ? Or just bin them ?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Might be worth having the 120's tested just to see what they do actually flow ? Or just bin them ?
There is NOTHING wrong with the 120's. The problem lies in the control system. To determine what the problem is we would have to use a DSO to monitor the injector PW vs. the commanded PW vs. the actual injector on-time using the same PCM/driver/wiring configuration. An on-car test would be required as well.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racetronix
There is NOTHING wrong with the 120's. The problem lies in the control system. To determine what the problem is we would have to use a DSO to monitor the injector PW vs. the commanded PW vs. the actual injector on-time using the same PCM/driver/wiring configuration. An on-car test would be required as well.
I think it's fair to say we shouldnt have to change the control system just to make an injector work in the vehicle.

Either the injector works for the application or it doesnt. If it doesnt, why is it sold for that application ?

Ive had similar with RC750s where they didnt offer me any more fuel than the old 600cc Siemens I had. The only difference being they performed worse at lower rpm's

It's ultimately why I opted for using 16 x Siemens injectors as finding a single injector that was big enough and worked well enough a few years ago was almost impossible.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I think it's fair to say we shouldnt have to change the control system just to make an injector work in the vehicle.

Either the injector works for the application or it doesnt. If it doesnt, why is it sold for that application ?

Ive had similar with RC750s where they didnt offer me any more fuel than the old 600cc Siemens I had. The only difference being they performed worse at lower rpm's

It's ultimately why I opted for using 16 x Siemens injectors as finding a single injector that was big enough and worked well enough a few years ago was almost impossible.
Who said anything about changing the control system?
The 120's will work with the proper configuration/programming.

The RC750 (SMP 01D129x) is a slower injector than the Siemens/Continental FI114961/2 so the dynamic fuel delivery per PW will be lower and the idle characteristics will not be optimal in some applications.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 03-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

...i think they charge the extra dough to grind off part numbers....
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by eb02z06
Dave there from Racetronix and say 120lbs/hr right on the side of them. I think I saw somewhere where you had some 120's and they didn't flow anymore than your 96's.
You haven't told us what part number is written on the body nor have you given us a picture of them. You know very well what your 96s did and you know what these so called 120s are doing. Your injectors don't have the capability of lying. If they walk like 96s and quack like 96s,they're 96s even if they have 500 printed on the body.

I recently purchased a set of SMP 120s used from a member of the Turbo Buick community for my Ttype. I know they're 120s because they say 120 LB/HR right on the side of the injectors. They work perfectly on E85 when I use my 72 LB/HR gasoline chip. How can that be? Because they are 30% larger than my 72s.That puts them at 96. Is there something wrong with our three cars? Only when we install these injectors.

The reason I asked you about part number and a picture is because I can't find any info on these with a Google search and they are different in appearance than the current SMP 120s offered at Racetronics.I have to think there was a mis-marked batch and we got screwed. I found out today that my injectors were made by SMP and a search led me to this thread.

Now for the big question. Is the part number 250R160A with a 0600 printed above the part number? Is the plastic upper half of the body black and rounded on top with a stainless steel lower half that is squared off?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ttype6
If they walk like 96s and quack like 96s,they're 96s even if they have 500 printed on the body.

I know they're 120s because they say 120 LB/HR right on the side of the injectors. They work perfectly on E85 when I use my 72 LB/HR gasoline chip. How can that be? Because they are 30% larger than my 72s.That puts them at 96. Is there something wrong with our three cars? Only when we install these injectors.

The reason I asked you about part number and a picture is because I can't find any info on these with a Google search and they are different in appearance than the current SMP 120s offered at Racetronics.I have to think there was a mis-marked batch and we got screwed. I found out today that my injectors were made by SMP and a search led me to this thread.

Now for the big question. Is the part number 250R160A with a 0600 printed above the part number? Is the plastic upper half of the body black and rounded on top with a stainless steel lower half that is squared off?
You say your injectors have 120LB/hr printed on them... honestly, unless there is a part number and a record of everything I wouldn't even believe that, albeit apparently they are 120s but I don't believe it nor like it when **** gets changed from the manufacturer as it then start to become this black hole of he said she said and this form says bull.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
You say your injectors have 120LB/hr printed on them... honestly, unless there is a part number and a record of everything I wouldn't even believe that, albeit apparently they are 120s but I don't believe it nor like it when **** gets changed from the manufacturer as it then start to become this black hole of he said she said and this form says bull.
You've misunderstood my post.They say 120 but they definitely aren't. I'm having the same experience as two others in this thread. I called FIC and he said that he was unaware of any problems with these and he definitely had the same injectors as mine in his hand. Says many ricers have used them .I would like to find out if the ones the OP is talking about are the same type I have. I can only find pictures of the new design(Lucas looking) when I Google SMP 120 LB/HR injectors. My injectors look like the 19.8 and 20.5 injectors on the Racetronixs site.

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Mc=SMP
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ttype6
You've misunderstood my post.They say 120 but they definitely aren't. I'm having the same experience as two others in this thread. I called FIC and he said that he was unaware of any problems with these and he definitely had the same injectors as mine in his hand. Says many ricers have used them .I would like to find out if the ones the OP is talking about are the same type I have. I can only find pictures of the new design(Lucas looking) when I Google SMP 120 LB/HR injectors. My injectors look like the 19.8 and 20.5 injectors on the Racetronixs site.

http://www.racetronix.biz/items.asp?Mc=SMP
These injectors are made for Holley with a Multec 1 case. The injector is the same as our 01D134x.

As we stated before there is nothing wrong with these injectors. This is a driver control issue and/or something with the LSX control algorithms.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Racetronix
These injectors are made for Holley with a Multec 1 case. The injector is the same as our 01D134x.

As we stated before there is nothing wrong with these injectors. This is a driver control issue and/or something with the LSX control algorithms.
The injectors I have look exactly like your 01D043x and they work perfectly on E85 on my turbo Buick when operated with my 72 lb gasoline chip with default settings. That makes them approximately 96LB/HR. This is exactly what the OP is experiencing.

The only thing I haven't determined is whether or not his injectors are the type I have or your 01D134x.

Quick Reply: 120's are done-need something bigger for a DD