Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

#42lb injectors, no tune..how will car run?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default #42lb injectors, no tune..how will car run?

I want to start the car (mid blower install) to check for rubbing/clearance issues....How will the car run untuned with 42lb injectors? What should I be expecting?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-01-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

simple answer... it wont

I put FMS 42lb injectors in my heads/cam (at the time) car last year... had the stock tune (26lb injectors) and car would start but wouldn't idle... and it wouldn't rev past like 2k ... just dumps WAY too much fuel in... so I'd imagine it'd be the same w/a blown application (PCM is going to see xxx amount of air coming in, so it will hold the injectors open for the appropriate time if they were 28lb injectors... which will dump way too much fuel in)

I corrected it in about 30 mins w/some LS1 Edit updates but w/out tuning the car isn't going to go very far w/those huge injectors in...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

damn, i don't have edit, and need to take it to the tuner. hmmm....
Old 04-01-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

well if the blower tells the computer to open the injectors soo much that the stock injectors wouldnt keep up, maybe the big ones will get it running...?, I dont have a blower though so I'm prolly just talkin out my ***
Old 04-01-2004, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

do you have any way to lower your fuel pressure? That would get you to the shop if you could lower it from 58-60 down to 40
Old 04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Restricted User

How about the fact that if you do run it untuned, you WILL dump fuel into the cylinder and most likely wash the cylinder walls! Just a thought, I would find some way to program for them, or replace them to test for rubbing and other things. It seems liek only a minute, but, we all know once we hear how that baby idles, and so on, we let it run longer, and every second we are dumping fuel, running it past the rings, and around the cylinder, before we know it, the oil burning begins... Go back and read the old JPR thread... the smoking issue from having injectors not tuned and how it washed the cylinder. Not something I would do man.

Good luck.
Charlie
thread in ref: major problems with JPR 388 from a few months ago, talks about washing on the 1st page and continues.

Last edited by CAT3; 04-01-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CAT3
How about the fact that if you do run it untuned, you WILL dump fuel into the cylinder and most likely wash the cylinder walls! Just a thought, I would find some way to program for them, or replace them to test for rubbing and other things. It seems liek only a minute, but, we all know once we hear how that baby idles, and so on, we let it run longer, and every second we are dumping fuel, running it past the rings, and around the cylinder, before we know it, the oil burning begins... Go back and read the old JPR thread... the smoking issue from having injectors not tuned and how it washed the cylinder. Not something I would do man.

Good luck.
Charlie
thread in ref: major problems with JPR 388 from a few months ago, talks about washing on the 1st page and continues.

good call, I have an acquaintance with ls1edit, I wonder if he'd mind coming over and doing a few adjustments, so that it would be safe to drive.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 04-01-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackBootyZ71
good call, I have an acquaintance with ls1edit, I wonder if he'd mind coming over and doing a few adjustments, so that it would be safe to drive.
Thanks for the advice!

sorry to rain on your parade...but if your vin isnt on his cable then you cant do any adjustments
Old 04-01-2004, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SC-MECHAM-WS6
sorry to rain on your parade...but if your vin isnt on his cable then you cant do any adjustments
bah, damn it thats right! ok, then I guess I'll get a dolly and tow it to the shop instead
Old 04-01-2004, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

why not put your stock injectors back on, and swap at the shop?

just stay under 3K and out of boost and you should be fine.

Ryan
Old 04-01-2004, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow
why not put your stock injectors back on, and swap at the shop?

just stay under 3K and out of boost and you should be fine.

Ryan
i could do that too, but it may be easier to just rent a dolly..and not have to worry about staying out of boost. The shop is about 25 miles away.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats true.

whatever is easier.

Ryan