Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Which fuel pump BUCKET to use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which fuel pump BUCKET to use?

Here is car: 2nd gen BIRD 100% PONCHO. I have MPI'ed it. I currently have an in-tank walbro255 that I fabed in. My difficulty is this is/to be a street car ...really. I expect my WIFE to actually feel good driving it. I want to swap my "pump on a stick" for a late model "bucket" (saves adding baffles) and simplifies the process.

Things to REMOVE from this comparison:
1. The entire TOP of the module. Line fittings, fuel level, pressure reg, hieght...all MOOT ( I'm a 25yr master Tool&Die Maker...no prob)

My question is: Is there an advantage to the "venturi feed" system that the 4the gen F-body module uses COMPARED to say a 2000 Chevy truck module which does NOT use the venturi feed?

given the MOOT points above, I am not 100% i see an advantage.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Teching In

this is the only thing I have been able to find on the "venturi/jet pump" style bucket and YES by theory it makes since.

Why a Racetronix Fuel System?
Walbro direct-fit HP Gerotor Jet Pump:

The GRJ420 pump is a direct-fit replacement for the factory Walbro jet-pump. Direct-fit means no modification to the fuel module is
required therefore the full functionality of the fill bucket is maintained. The fill-bucket allows the fuel pump to use its jet + venturi
function to keep the pump immersed in fuel at all times regardless of the tank fuel level. This aids in preventing fuel starvation under
hard cornering and acceleration. Keeping the pump immersed in fuel also helps prevent moisture damage which can shorten the pump's life. (from racetronix)

SOOOO WHAT.....in the REAL WORLD...does it matter enough for the average street car....I'm not autocrossing everytime i drive it...lol
Old 08-20-2012, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TAChief

SOOOO WHAT.....in the REAL WORLD...does it matter enough for the average street car....I'm not autocrossing everytime i drive it...lol

The jet pump bucket fill also helps out when you are just running at 1/4 tank and below to keep the pump fully submerged at all times, not necessarily driving crazy around turns, keeps the pump cool and less susceptible to failure
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Teching In

thats reasonable.

Next: Since I already have a Walbro and a new Aeromotive 340 (same size and shape) is the jet pump feed hose merly pressurized fuel from the output of the pump?

Short from purchasing ANOTHER pump with the venturi feed output, could i simply TEE in to the output line of the fuel pump to feed the jet pump?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the vaporworx system. Information is all over pro-touring and lateral-g. I was going to try a home-brew bucket and jet pump for my 69 Camaro EFI project but the factory parts used in the vaporworx made it a no brainer for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The advantage of the jet pump is the pump will never starve for fuel when the fuel level is low.
There is a separate nipple on the pump that feeds the jet pump.
Tee of the main fuel line might work that's one thing I had not thought of.

Keep in mind the main fuel line is 3/8" the jet pump nipple is about 1/16"
might be difficult finding a tee with those size combination.

Last edited by Ollie8974; 08-21-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM
Teching In

just 1 more reason I became a Toolmaker

I'm too cheap to buy anything anyway....i'll make 1.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TAChief
just 1 more reason I became a Toolmaker

I'm too cheap to buy anything anyway....i'll make 1.
I envy you
I have all kinds of ideas and no fabrication facilities.

Quick Reply: Which fuel pump BUCKET to use?