Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Octane Boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Question Octane Boost

So i've been reading and what i have read says that Torco is good to boost the octane. I have used STP in the orange bottle for years and always thought I felt a slight difference. Some people say that it is not true you just think you feel something. Are there any Facts out there either for or against?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You won't feel anything (literally) since this tends to prevent knock (so you won't hear or feel any detonation/preignition/knock)...

it will let you advance the ignition timing (which usually increases torque output), but you would still have to be careful when doing this (you should aim to run the least timing that produces the [almost] same peak torque... i.e. you can only do this effectively using a suitable dyno).
Old 09-20-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Did I not explain my question properly or do i just not understand what you are saying. A dyno? I am asking about a little more pep with better burning gas.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run 116 octane but unless you add timing in the tune you will see zero gains from it.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

my knock sensors are turned off..what effect does that have.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itsslow98
You can run 116 octane but unless you add timing in the tune you will see zero gains from it.
..I am not familiar with the Tuning processes, I am old school lol. You can see my build and I had my car tuned by pcm4less I believe. It has always been my belief, the more Octane the Better the Burn. The better the burn= more power. Is there something in this New Ignition Timing I am missing? I guess my question is what or how does the Timing advance to create more power.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know torco works for a fact. I have seen people run it on their boosted cars so they can get the most out of it.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Higher octane burns slower and has a lower BTU energy content than lower octane...

the purpose of higher octane is to allow timing to be advanced further which increases torque (without advancing so far as to move the peak cylinder pressure away from the crank angle where it has the most leverage).

Without any advance in timing, higher octane nets you nogains (it may actually lower your MPG since it has a lesser BTU energy content).

It will prevent or reduce the onset of knock (depending on how high the octane rating is).
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by cutu cutu
I know torco works for a fact. I have seen people run it on their boosted cars so they can get the most out of it.
Yes, they run it to avoid knocking, otherwise without it they would have to reduce ignition timing.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

and.............so how is this affecting me?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1121
and.............so how is this affecting me?
unless you take that fuel injected car and get it tuned and up your ignition timing, there is absolutely no point in you purchasing the torco. If it was knocking before, torco will help, otherwise no helpy.

no tune, no helpy.

just saw you are in Charlotte, I'm right down the road in Harrisburg , keep going down 49. How far away are you?
Old 09-21-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
unless you take that fuel injected car and get it tuned and up your ignition timing, there is absolutely no point in you purchasing the torco. If it was knocking before, torco will help, otherwise no helpy.

no tune, no helpy.

just saw you are in Charlotte, I'm right down the road in Harrisburg , keep going down 49. How far away are you?
Yes I had it tuned and it does not knock at all, i'm just looking for a little bump. I was in Charlotte but I recently moved to Thomasville.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Octane boost will not make more torque/power;

to make more torque, you habe to advance ignition timing, but this make cause/allow knock to now occur, so you need to run gas with a higher octane number, so you pour a bottle of octane boost into your tank (or mix in some toluene as said above);

if you had existing spark knock then octane boost might stop it... but you should still fix the root cause;

does all that make sense...?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Addict

OK I have NO knock or ping therefore I have NO problem to Fix. Let me ask this a different way and if I am in the wrong section please let me know.

Early cars had a distributor a mechanical devise that would advance the timing via counter weights and a set of points. Some would even prefer dual point setups. As the engine revved the distributor would spin and a mechanical devise inside would cause the timing to advance along with the use of vacuum.

On modern cars there are no more of these devises and needless to say we don't have a set of points. What cause the timing in our cars to advance?

I have had my car Tuned already, I do not have Pinging and I have NO issues with my motor. So why are you telling me by increasing the octane I will not get more power? You keep saying I need to have my car "Tuned" and I have said twice already "My car has been Tuned"
Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

With EFI systems the PCM implements the same spark advance (based on engine speed and manifold vacuum) as the distributor did, but with better precision and repeatability.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

You had you PCM tuned for air and fueling... what we're saying is that to see the performance increase from running higher octane you have to get your spark tables increased...

but the only safe way to do this is on the dyno (you have to find how torque changes as you increase spark advance, and you want to run the lowest spark advance that produces the most torque without knocking...

now after your spark tables are modified (and you have a torque increase), you may find that your engine might respond with even more torque if you now modify the fueling.

Last edited by joecar; 09-24-2012 at 05:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-22-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by joecar
You had you PCM tuned for air and fueling... what we're saying is that to see the performance increase from running higher octane you have to get your spark tables increased...

but the only safe way to do this is on the dyno (you have to find how torque changes as you increase spark advance, and you want to run the lowest spark advance that produces the most torque without knocking...

now after your spark tables are modified, you may find that your engine might respond with more torque if you now modify the fueling.
Sounds like this leads to some interesting reading.....Thank You for your reply.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

you could run 87 octane as long as you dont ping or knock that would be a small bump. raiseing the octane rating reduces hp unless proper measures are taken
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Wow some very interesting reading. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks lol. I'm going to try some lower octane gas to see where my ping starts, 10.5:1 is High but not too high. My only concern is that my Knock sensors were tuned out and if it starts to knock the car cannot help itself.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Torco Accelerator in stock and we honestly sell at least 2-3 cases a week in the summer minimum, by far one of the best octane boosters we've seen. Check it out on our website.

Quick Reply: Octane Boost