Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pressure extremely high!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pressure extremely high!?

I've got a '87 iroc with an ls1/t56 swap. The fuel tank is a fourth gen tank with a racetronics fuel pump. I ran nylon lines on feed and return lines into a corvette style regulated fuel filter. I've done some reading and most say this pump may be so powerful it blows fuel right through the regulator. My fuel pressure is showing 85 psi with key on and at idle!!! This was double checked at a shop to make sure my gauge was right.lol my question is should I run an adjustable regulator before a regular filter to adjust the pressure down? Also will this help cut down on how hard the fuel pump is working or do I need to check the voltage or something because it's being worked too hard that direction? The fuel lines from filter to rail are steel braided and rail is stock ls1. Thanks for any advice! God bless!

Ps I also have a thirdgen.org membership but for some reason can't post things:-/
Old 08-04-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

So, what Racetronix pump do you have??
Old 08-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Hmm, good question. I didn't install it but I should have the receipt on it. I'll have to check when I get home tonight.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be OK with a 255lph pump, maybe 62 at idle.
Usually overpressures with a 340lph pump.

Are you sure you have it connected correctly?
Most pumps max out/bypass about 85psi, so the regulator may not be flowing any fuel.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Ok i can't find what pump he put in there because I can't find receipt:-/ I do have the tank down and yes I believe the lines are connected correctly. I can take a picture if that helps to make sure. If you're asking is the pump wired correctly I know the externals are. I'm not sure if there was any modifying inside the tank. Ran the feed line to the larger side of the filter and return to the small one. Then steel braided lines from feed out to stock rail on engine. Is there a regulator in the tank also? Should I just go ahead and pull it out? Thank you guys for helping also.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must remove the regulator from the 4th gen tank... I think, you found your problem.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks! I was reading up on all of that and thought that was what was supposed to happen. I'll dig into the tank now. Thanks and for all the help!
Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

My pressure was fine with a walbro 450 on stock lines and regulator, until i did the hotwire kit. Now its like 72psi at idle

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure extremely high!?