Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Dual intanks or intank/inline, which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual intanks or intank/inline, which is better?

I'm still planning out my fuel fix. As you know I have the single walbro 340 intank fuel pump installed currently. I'm going to rerun the fuel lines and add a second pump. The question is would it be better to have two intank pumps(one with a hobbs switch set to kick in under boost) or have an intank and external inline pump. Can external inline pumps be turned on and off via a hobbs switch? Would it be best to put the fuel filter before or after the linline pump?

Thanks for any advice,
Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

I'd sump kit the tank and run a big external.. Then run a fuel pump voltage controller.. Like a boost a pump or a MSD... That is the best way..

An internal bosch "big screen" plus an external inline bosch will do ok... Ask DRM... The most foolproof and capable is a sumped tank external..
Old 07-27-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

dual intake pump - GSS340M's
rising 1:1 external fuel pressure regulator

thats all you need
Old 07-27-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

DRM but others have them
Old 07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again
I'd sump kit the tank and run a big external.. Then run a fuel pump voltage controller.. Like a boost a pump or a MSD... That is the best way..

An internal bosch "big screen" plus an external inline bosch will do ok... Ask DRM... The most foolproof and capable is a sumped tank external..
Yeah but has anyone ever sumped a 99+ plastic tank? I don't think it's possible. So that means I'd need to go to a 98 tank which has a different center section. I want to keep a functional evap system.

I got an external inline pump with my ATI tuner kit which I have never used. An Aeromotive A1000. Not sure if that's beefy enough, but if it will help I'll use it. I just want the ideal setup that will be able to grow and support as my car is meaner.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 04:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by buschman
Yeah but has anyone ever sumped a 99+ plastic tank? I don't think it's possible. So that means I'd need to go to a 98 tank which has a different center section. I want to keep a functional evap system.

I got an external inline pump with my ATI tuner kit which I have never used. An Aeromotive A1000. Not sure if that's beefy enough, but if it will help I'll use it. I just want the ideal setup that will be able to grow and support as my car is meaner.

Mike
Inline will provide minimal gains at best esp. if ATI pump is Airtex T-Rex vs. Walbro GSL392.

What is your realistic projected RWHP?

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-27-2004, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by V8_DSM_V8again

A big pump like an A1000 and basically all the weldons is still not going to be happy running on the street, they simply were not designed to run for that long.

Best fuel system for a street car, imo, is a sumped tank and a pair of external 255 LPH walbros. Quiet as hell, OEM reliability, and flow a **** load of fuel. If for some reason you want to make more than 1000-odd RWHP just add a boost-a-pump and you'll be good for even more.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by eviltwins
A big pump like an A1000 and basically all the weldons is still not going to be happy running on the street, they simply were not designed to run for that long.

Best fuel system for a street car, imo, is a sumped tank and a pair of external 255 LPH walbros. Quiet as hell, OEM reliability, and flow a **** load of fuel. If for some reason you want to make more than 1000-odd RWHP just add a boost-a-pump and you'll be good for even more.
This is true. We have customers running systems like this. Dual in-tank or dual in-line pump systems.
Racetronix stocks dual inlet & outlet high-flow filters and PnP dual in-line wiring harnesses for various GM vehicles.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-27-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Inline will provide minimal gains at best esp. if ATI pump is Airtex T-Rex vs. Walbro GSL392.

What is your realistic projected RWHP?
With my current stock lower end I'm projecting 550 RWHP and once the engine is built I should be over 700. Is there a system that can support the range I'm looking in but also that might not have to totally be rebuilt if I ever decide 700 rw isn't enough? I doubt I'll go far above that as this is not a track only car. I don't want to sacrifice too much streetability, but want a safe setup that can support my goals.

Just FYI my current setup is a single walbro GSS340, hotwire kit, I run out the top of the tank through stock lines, I then go into a -6AN braided line, small summit -6AN fuel filter, speed inc. fuel rails, the into an Aeromotive boost ref. FPR mounted in the engine bay, the return line is the old supply line. With this setup I'm just not getting the fuel I need.

The things I know I'll do this time is the following:

* Move the fuel pressure gauge sending unit from being mounted on the FPR to right off the fuel rails.
* Run the new fuel supply line all the way into the tank via a bulkhead fitting.
* Get a better, larger fuel filter.
* Increase fuel supply line size.
* Im going to try and move to aeroquip lines and fittings to try and avoid the potent gas smell I have now.

Things I'm still not sure about:

* Do I need to upgrade to an -8AN or -10AN supply line? I'm thinking if I run an external pump, -10AN(or maybe -10AN to the pump and filter and -8AN after that). If I run twin intanks, then probably -8AN.
* Obviously how to setup my pumps?
* Do I need to upgrade my return line?
* I currently have my -6AN tied to the stock lines which have a lot of bends in them to make there way to the engine bay. Would I be better off running my lines in a straighter path?
* I've heard that the bladder on the aeromotive BR-FPR is not the best. Not sure if there's any truth to this. But my problem lies somewhere...

Just to give you guys an idea of some of the questions I'm grappling with. Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 08:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A single in-tank Walbro is enough to easily support 550RWHP especially if you have a rail mounted FPR!!!
-6 Teflon is more than enough to support 800RWHP.
Dual in-tank or in-line Walbro pumps will support your projected HP.

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-29-2004, 07:38 AM
Launching!

The system I just installed from Nasty Performance used dual Walbro 340's in the stock sending unit sent thru a 90 degree 8an fitting to 8an braided line to billet fuel filter and up to the rails, used 6an line on the return to regulator and then the stock feedline line back to the tank. The sending unit was all plug and play with the stock connectors both electrical and stock evap lines, the supply fuel line and 2ft return line to regulator I had to build up. It is a very nice setup and I would reccommend it to anyone with a 99 and up fuel system.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigBake
The system I just installed from Nasty Performance used dual Walbro 340's in the stock sending unit sent thru a 90 degree 8an fitting to 8an braided line to billet fuel filter and up to the rails, used 6an line on the return to regulator and then the stock feedline line back to the tank. The sending unit was all plug and play with the stock connectors both electrical and stock evap lines, the supply fuel line and 2ft return line to regulator I had to build up. It is a very nice setup and I would reccommend it to anyone with a 99 and up fuel system.

How much? sounds very interesting.

Mike
Old 07-29-2004, 11:27 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigBake
Why don't you post some pictures of it here?

>WEB SITE<
Old 07-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by buschman
How much? sounds very interesting.

Mike
It ran $1200 for the entire kit which included the stock sending unit with pumps installed wired up to the stock connector, even the pressure sensor was included, an Areomotive billet fuel filter, Areomotive billet regulator, billet fuel rails, 20ft of 8an braided line, 3ft of 6an braided line, wire, fuse block, and all the AN fittings and rubber O-rings for the appropriate connections.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Why don't you post some pictures of it here?

This is the same set-up I have, obviuosly I am not going to drop the tank again to take pictures of the sending unit. I would hit up Nasty N8 for pics of the sending unit if he feels comfortable in doing so.

Last edited by BigBake; 07-29-2004 at 01:36 PM.