Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

best inline fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2024 | 01:46 PM
Teching In

Default best inline fuel pump

Hi guys, I am having fuel pump problems and getting frustrated. I have a '85 S10 with a mild 5.3L about 375 hp. I had a Walbro 255 and it didn't last 400 miles. I am sick of the counterfeit fuel pumps that are flooding the market. I have a 100 micron prefilter and a Fram HPG-1 with a 6 micron element after the pump. Filters are good and pressure is about 30 PSI, on a 30 amp pump line fuse and that is good. It's fuel pump time. I'm looking at the Bosch 058046200 that replaced the Walbro 255 pump. I wouldn't buy that pump on Amazon or ebay because they are loaded with counterfeits. I had good luck with one part store over the years and bought one there. The pump came in the right box with a authenticity seal and part number on the box, but the pump was hanging out of the box and I removed the pump with the seal still intact. I checked the part number on the pump and it was different. I couldn't verify the number online, so it was a fake. Where do you buy a authentic Bosch or AEM pump without a fake? Which pump is better and MORE reliable and where do buy a Legitimate pump at a fair price? Thank you.

Last edited by webkruzer43; 09-30-2024 at 12:55 PM.
Old 09-26-2024 | 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ordered my last AEM340 pump directly from AEM. Shipped pretty quick.
I have different install, with a stock in tank DELPHI "fuel module" and inline booster pump, Bosch 044 "style" as sold by Magnuson circa 2016. Lotsa miles on that setup, no problems.
. I'd look for a "Genuine" Bosch 044, maybe Racetronix or Summit has a Legit inline pump..

Last edited by Full Power; 09-26-2024 at 02:46 PM. Reason: edit
Old 09-26-2024 | 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Same as above, I've had very good success with the Bosch 044 inline external pump on LS swaps.
Old 09-26-2024 | 04:37 PM
Teching In

Thank you Full Power. I do like the Bosch and the AEM, just waiting for my refund. I don't want any China pumps. Have a nice day.
Old 09-26-2024 | 04:44 PM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply, I originally ordered the Bosch 044. The Bosch 044 was replaced with Bosch 200 because of the slightly better dependability, but that went south. The AEM was my second choice. Do you use a check valve? Thanks
Old 09-26-2024 | 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm a fan of this brand, but never used an external pump from DeatschWerks

3year no fault warranty

Last edited by jetech; 09-26-2024 at 06:23 PM. Reason: add info
Old 09-27-2024 | 12:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Originally Posted by webkruzer43
Hi guys, I am having fuel pump problems and getting frustrated. I have a '85 S10 with a mild 5.3L about 375 hp. I had a Walbro 255 and it didn't last 400 miles. I am sick of the counterfeit fuel pumps that are flooding the market. I have a 400 micron prefilter and a Fram HPG-1 with a 6 micron element after the pump. Filters are good and pressure is about 30 PSI, on a 30 amp pump line fuse and that is good. It's fuel pump time. I'm looking at the Bosch 058046200 that replaced the 044 pump. I wouldn't buy that pump on Amazon or ebay because they are loaded with counterfeits. I had good luck with one part store over the years and bought one there. The pump came in the right box with a authenticity seal and part number on the box, but the pump was hanging out of the box and I removed the pump with the seal still intact. I checked the part number on the pump and it was different. I couldn't verify the number online, so it was a fake. Where do you buy a authentic Bosch or AEM pump without a fake? Which pump is better and MORE reliable and where do buy a Legitimate pump at a fair price? Thank you.
What makes you think the Walbro pumps you have are counterfeit? This issue is more myth than fact.
A Walbro GSS34x or GSS35x pump is easily recognized by the gears visible in the bottom.
All the offshore pumps that look similar to Walbro pumps (most do because of standardized fitment requirements) are turbine pumps.
If the price is too good to be true...

https://racetronix.com/images/Fuel_P...307vs340-s.jpg
https://racetronix.com/Fuel_Pump_Ident.html
https://racetronix.com/F20000169vs340.html

The Walbro GSL39x in-line (external) pumps use the same internal gerotor design as their in-tank units.
If these pumps are failing it is most likely something to do with your application and/or environment.
Walbro gerotor rotor pumps require a minimum 30-micron pre-filter to protect the tight meshing gears.
Walbro GSL39x pumps require a decent sized suction line and prefer to be gravity fed.
These pumps require a 12-10 AWG power harness with a 20 amp fuse.

If your truck has a pump-on-a-stick hanger as listed by Delphi as HP10041 then it would be much easier and economical to run an in-tank pump with the required wiring and plumbing upgrades.
https://www.delphiautoparts.com/part...ersGuidePage=1

Please e-mail sales@racetronix.com with your application details for more info.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-27-2024 | 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Just my pessimistic point of view,, but I supported road racing for many years,
Inline external pumps failed on track 3 to 4 times as often as in tank pumps due to over heating.

just 2 cents..
Old 09-28-2024 | 07:13 AM
Teching In

Hi pdxmotorhead, thanks for the post. You are right 100% and I am finally getting it through my head that inline pumps do overheat and don't live long. My Walbro 255 only lasted 400 miles. I have a Rhodes fuel cell and they they have conversion kits to install in tank pumps starting out at about $400 bucks without the pump. I have a pickup with the fuel cell in the bed and it is a neat install, but the in tank install would require extra exterior lines and holes going all over in the bed and will look like SH*T. Is there a way to do the change over in a neat way? I have a street rod and don't want to breakdown on my Sunday ride. Thanks for waking me up. Have a nice day.
Old 09-28-2024 | 10:45 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hi pdxmotorhead, thanks for the post. You are right 100% and I am finally getting it through my head that inline pumps do overheat and don't live long. My Walbro 255 only lasted 400 miles. I have a Rhodes fuel cell and they they have conversion kits to install in tank pumps starting out at about $400 bucks without the pump. I have a pickup with the fuel cell in the bed and it is a neat install, but the in tank install would require extra exterior lines and holes going all over in the bed and will look like SH*T. Is there a way to do the change over in a neat way? I have a street rod and don't want to breakdown on my Sunday ride. Thanks for waking me up. Have a nice day.
We have a new solution coming out soon which will accommodate up to four pumps in a budget friendly fuel cell.
Stay tuned...

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-01-2024 | 05:43 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the reply. I am very interested in your new solution. When will you release it? I am in the middle of my fuel pump project and wouldn't want to miss anything. Have a day.
Old 10-01-2024 | 09:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thank you for the reply. I am very interested in your new solution. When will you release it? I am in the middle of my fuel pump project and wouldn't want to miss anything. Have a day.
It will be similar to our new patented C6 quad coming out in the next month.
View this post on Instagram

>WEB SITE<
Old 10-02-2024 | 09:52 AM
8 Second Club
10 Year Member

A legit Walbro is a very reliable pump that will work great and have a really long service life. Its quieter than the Bosch 044 and AEM too. (by a lot) Plenty of fuel for what you need w either choice. I believe the 044 was once considered the most reliable pump on the market. They are loud though.

Depending on the style of pre filter I think that could be an issue. I prefer the large sock style pre filters. The inline deals are restrictive by nature. Had a lot of issues with pre filters taking out pumps in the past with performance stuff. Really need an overkill supply line diameter and filter.

Just order from a legit vendor and you’d probably be fine. https://walbrofuelpumps.com/
Old 10-02-2024 | 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
Just order from a legit vendor and you’d probably be fine. https://walbrofuelpumps.com/
This a Walbro distributor just as Racetronix is. This company is not a forum sponsor.

>WEB SITE<

Quick Reply: best inline fuel pump