Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix 98 Fuel Pump...no instructions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Racetronix 98 Fuel Pump...no instructions

I ordered and received the Racetronix Fuel System (part no 135-F98-FPK2) from Thunder Racing.

It looks like a nice kit but no instruction manual explaining how to plug the wiring harness up. The instructions explaining how to attach/wire the fuel pump in the tank were included but no instructions for the wiring harness outside of the tank running to front of car (98Z28).

I made a phone call to Thunder Racing. Their reply is that Racetronix doesn’t include the instructions for the wiring harness and that they have been asking Racetronix for months to include an instruction manual for the wiring harness. It’s pretty obvious the manual isn’t in the zip lock bag since the bag is clear and you can see what’s in the bag. So the packager can see if the instructions are included or not.

Does anybody have any instructions they can email me? I had planned to install the kit this weekend, but am not going to tear into it and then reach a stumbling block because there aren't any instructions.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
I ordered and received the Racetronix Fuel System (part no 135-F98-FPK2) from Thunder Racing.

It looks like a nice kit but no instruction manual explaining how to plug the wiring harness up. The instructions explaining how to attach/wire the fuel pump in the tank were included but no instructions for the wiring harness outside of the tank running to front of car (98Z28).

I made a phone call to Thunder Racing. Their reply is that Racetronix doesn’t include the instructions for the wiring harness and that they have been asking Racetronix for months to include an instruction manual for the wiring harness. It’s pretty obvious the manual isn’t in the zip lock bag since the bag is clear and you can see what’s in the bag. So the packager can see if the instructions are included or not.

Does anybody have any instructions they can email me? I had planned to install the kit this weekend, but am not going to tear into it and then reach a stumbling block because there aren't any instructions.
DuWayne,

Please take the time to look at the wiring on the car before you start the installation. It should all become very clear to you.
The connectors on the Racetronix harness are unique to the sending unit only. Everything plugs in and ALL the power terminals are labeled.

Mount the relay and spiked chassis ground lug in front of the DS rear tire using the factory bolt as shown in here:
http://www.racetronix.com/product/RX.../Dcp_1169a.jpg
Clean mating the surface and the bolt with a wire brush to expose clean metal and apply a generous amount of silicone grease supplied to prevent corrosion.
Plug the harness into the chassis and the fuel module into the Racetronix harness.
Insert the connector locks (F98=red, F99+=blue).
Route the harness along with the fuel lines under the car. Secure the harness every 12" with the supplied wire ties.
The harness power source may be hooked to the alternator's + output (best) or the + battery terminal.
(If you chose to use the battery as a power source run the harness over the top of the transmission housing and up the PS inner front fender well)
Route the harness such that it does not rub on any sharp surfaces or come to close to any hot exhaust pipes.
Mount the fuse holder with the supplied self tapping SS screw in a location where access is possible if required.
Hook the harness + power to the alternator output stud OR the battery + terminal using the supplied brass battery.
The factory battery nuts are removed by pressing them out from behind the terminal boots.
http://www.racetronix.com/images/C4/..._Hookup-01.jpg
Install the body ground upgrade cable. One end hooks up to battery - and the other end to chassis ground.
The screw on top of the battery nut is considered the accessory tap. These are installed after the nuts are secured to the battery.

The extra connector set included with the system is to interface a pump booster if required.
The mating connector on the harness is located just after the relay.

Please note that this product is intended for installation by a qualified person ONLY. If a customer buys the product for the intent of DIY then it is assumed that he/she has the qualifications, experience and equipment to properly deal with the installation of the system. Working with fuel and electrical is not something that should be attempted by an inexperienced person who does not have proper training especially in the area of safety.

If you do not feel comfortable installing this system we suggest you take it to a qualified technician.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-11-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the instructions, full color, I can e-mail you.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Cannibal

I sent you a pm with my email address.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Me Too, I can help you out with full color scans if needed I scanned them awhile back to help a member out who also didn't get them from TR.
J
Old 09-12-2004, 02:31 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Simply e-mail support@racetronix.com for the fuel pump installation manual and it will be sent to you in short order. Make sure your e-mail in-box has at least 600K free space. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the manual in PDF format.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-12-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Instructions...two sets

To clear up some confusion on the instructions included or not from Racetronix.

As I stated in my first post. Racetronix includes instructions with full color pictures explaining in detail how to install the pump inside the tank.

However, instructions are not included for the plug and play wiring that runs from outside the fuel tank to the power source (alt or battery).

You can read Racetronix explanation in their post to why they don't think it is necessary to include that part of instructions.

I disagree with Racetronix's explanation that it's not necessary to include instructions for the wiring harness outside the tank.

Although it may or may not be the case here, my experience with so-called professional mechanics, is that sometimes they don't read the instructions either...they know it all and I suspect that if I searched the Kansas City area for a professional shop who has actually installed a Racetronix kit, my results would be a big fat 'zero'.

Example: A professional shop installed the bolts upside down on my Spohn torgue arm and torqued the some bolts with an air gun even though it clearly states in the instructions the rear bolts should be installed top-down and one bolt in the front should be tightend to only 30 ft/lbs.

Example: A Chevrolet dealership replaced the rear seal in the rearend of my 98 Z28 three times and each time never replaces the 'crush seal' even though instructions clearly state the crush seal should be replaced. A pinion bearing finally failed at 35,860 miles just prior to going out of warranty.

Example: A professional shop installed a new Vig convertor in my car. Instead of installing a Vig 3600 stall somehow a higher stall (4000 or 4200) found its way into my car. Precision Industries verifed the the mixup based on the numbers cold-stamped on the convertor by Precision to identity the convertor after I returned it for the correct stall.

A simple check of the number stamped on the convertor could easily have verified whether the part number was correct or not, but it appears that some 'professional' installers feel they don't have to examine a packing slip or set of instructions to verify they have the correct part number or instructions. BTW, I never ordered the TQ, it was purchased and installed by the installer.

As a result, I'm now a DIY on my car based on my experience that since some professionals might or might do a job right based on instructions, then I might as well do it myself (DIM).

For all I know, a professional might decide they don't need to use the wiring harness supplied by Racetronix and wire it themselves (been there seen that). If fact, if I hadn't ordered the kit myself, I wouldn't know that a wiring harnness is supplied with the kit.

So with all due respect Racetronix...I'm not buying their explanation that it's not necessary to include complete instructions with their plug and play kit, since I suspect a great majority of the kits they sell are sold to 'do it yourselfers'.

I have a digital camera and will take pictures as we do the install. I am going to send them to Matt at Thunder Racing after the install is complete. If he wants to include my instructions with pictures to other customers who buy the kit, that's his choice (maybe some attorney has decided that for legal liability purposes it's better not to include instructions since gasoline and electricity can cause death if a mistake is made).

It would be nice if Racetronix would include complete instructions for us 'do it yourselfers' since so many of us buy your product.

Let's not forget...this is a DIY forum.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 09-12-2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

To clear up some confusion on the instructions included or not from Racetronix.

As I stated in my first post. Racetronix includes instructions with full color pictures explaining in detail how to install the pump inside the tank.

However, instructions are not included for the plug and play wiring that runs from outside the fuel tank to the power source (alt or battery).

You can read Racetronix explanation in their post to why they don't think it is necessary to include that part of instructions.

I disagree with Racetronix's explanation that it's not necessary to include instructions for the wiring harness outside the tank.

Although it may or may not be the case here, my experience with so-called professional mechanics, is that sometimes they don't read the instructions either...they know it all and I suspect that if I searched the Kansas City area for a professional shop who has actually installed a Racetronix kit, my results would be a big fat 'zero'.

Example: A professional shop installed the bolts upside down on my Spohn torgue arm and torqued the some bolts with an air gun even though it clearly states in the instructions the rear bolts should be installed top-down and one bolt in the front should be tightend to only 30 ft/lbs.

Example: A Chevrolet dealership replaced the rear seal in the rearend of my 98 Z28 three times and each time never replaces the 'crush seal' even though instructions clearly state the crush seal should be replaced. A pinion bearing finally failed at 35,860 miles just prior to going out of warranty.

Example: A professional shop installed a new Vig convertor in my car. Instead of installing a Vig 3600 stall somehow a higher stall (4000 or 4200) found its way into my car. Precision Industries verifed the the mixup based on the numbers cold-stamped on the convertor by Precision to identity the convertor after I returned it for the correct stall.

A simple check of the number stamped on the convertor could easily have verified whether the part number was correct or not, but it appears that some 'professional' installers feel they don't have to examine a packing slip or set of instructions to verify they have the correct part number or instructions. BTW, I never ordered the TQ, it was purchased and installed by the installer.

As a result, I'm now a DIY on my car based on my experience that since some professionals might or might do a job right based on instructions, then I might as well do it myself (DIM).

For all I know, a professional might decide they don't need to use the wiring harness supplied by Racetronix and wire it themselves (been there seen that). If fact, if I hadn't ordered the kit myself, I wouldn't know that a wiring harnness is supplied with the kit.

So with all due respect Racetronix...I'm not buying their explanation that it's not necessary to include complete instructions with their plug and play kit, since I suspect a great majority of the kits they sell are sold to 'do it yourselfers'.

I have a digital camera and will take pictures as we do the install. I am going to send them to Matt at Thunder Racing after the install is complete. If he wants to include my instructions with pictures to other customers who buy the kit, that's his choice (maybe some attorney has decided that for legal liability purposes it's better not to include instructions since gasoline and electricity can cause death if a mistake is made).

It would be nice if Racetronix would include complete instructions for us 'do it yourselfers' since so many of us buy your product.

Let's not forget...this is a DIY forum.
We simply can not condone the installation of our kits by unqualified personnel in uncontrolled (unsafe) environments.
However incompetent you may feel the average service shop technician is there are a number of factors you are overlooking.
If you can get the insurance companies and lawyers to agree on this then problem solved.

Fuel system de-pressurization, tank removal, fuel module removal and safety points are covered in the GM shop manual.

Many customers have posted DIY instructions on the net showing how to remove the module. All that we have seen to date show the trap door method (cutting a hole in the trunk). WE DO NOT RECOMMEND / CONDONE THIS METHOD AS IT IS VERY DANGEROUS (no debates). The tank must be dropped, inspected and cleaned before installing a new pump.

The fuel pump replacement is covered in the Racetronix supplied manual.
The harness is VERY simple to install even w/o a manual for anybody who has even the slightest amount of mechanical intuitiveness. Pictures in our ads work well as a reference. All connectors are unique and can only plug into one location. All harness ends are labeled as to their respective locations / sources.

As stated before we are not going to turn this into a debate. Once we are able to work around some issues here we will release a manual.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-12-2004, 08:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I quess that when it comes to moddding my car I am lucky to be in the repair/service industry and that I have access to lifts/tools and experienced techs that are enthused at doing these kind of installs. I installed my pump last Friday and had to fight off some of these guys that wanted to jump in and help but the install really is very straight forward, the exterior wiring is labeled and I thought very easy to understand. The kit was so thought out there was a unfolded gym clip that would be used to unhook a part of the wiring harness at the pump to install in the upgraded wiring at the pump itself To me this kit is extremely well thought out and I feel is a great value, if you are a die hard DIY you will figure it out and be impressed with the thought that went into this kit.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I quess that when it comes to moddding my car I am lucky to be in the repair/service industry and that I have access to lifts/tools and experienced techs that are enthused at doing these kind of installs. I installed my pump last Friday and had to fight off some of these guys that wanted to jump in and help but the install really is very straight forward, the exterior wiring is labeled and I thought very easy to understand. The kit was so thought out there was a unfolded gym clip that would be used to unhook a part of the wiring harness at the pump to install in the upgraded wiring at the pump itself To me this kit is extremely well thought out and I feel is a great value, if you are a die hard DIY you will figure it out and be impressed with the thought that went into this kit.
And if Ken (ssrallyred) can figure it out.....ANYBODY can
Old 09-12-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
And if Ken (ssrallyred) can figure it out.....ANYBODY can
Did I hear a phucktard chime into this thread? well yes,yes I did
Old 09-12-2004, 11:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ss rally red
There you go folks?

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-13-2004, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
There you go folks?
When is the regulator going to be ready?It's more than a month after the release of the pump so the regulator should be out now.I need it now.Getting ready for nos and need to maintain good fuel psi
Old 09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
When is the regulator going to be ready?It's more than a month after the release of the pump so the regulator should be out now.I need it now.Getting ready for nos and need to maintain good fuel psi
Tell it to one of our suppliers that has been jerking us for over a year on these items. We are looking at other options and moving some production in-house BUT we have no ETA as of yet.

>WEB SITE<
Old 09-14-2004, 07:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
Tell it to one of our suppliers that has been jerking us for over a year on these items. We are looking at other options and moving some production in-house BUT we have no ETA as of yet.
I'll take a prototype in house regulator.I'll be your test car.My car is a low 11 second car NA and with NOS and a 28" tire it will run a easy 10 and with some suspension tweaks 9's aren't out of the question
Old 09-15-2004, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can vouch for this statement.
It is SO hard to trust shops to do what they are supposed to, even though they are more than willing to take your money.
I won't go into my list of incidents that prompted me to do most of my own work. I don't know everything, but I know I can trust what was done if I do it myself.

It's hard to reconcile this fact of life in the auto repair and work industry with the equally valid premise Racetronix advocates about safety and qualifications.

Boiling it down to the product and a manual:
Racetronics puts out HIGH quality prodcuts that are VERY thoughtfully laid out and, quite frankly, has an amazing degree of craftsmanship built into them. I'm a witness.

Even though I was an electronics tech in the Navy, a programmer who understands technical matters and a decent mechanic as well, I didn't just jump on the installation of my kit. (I had to convert to a custom Dual Pump with wiring situation.) I laid the wiring out on my queen size bed and noted all the components. I drew a schematic of MY understanding of what I had in front of me and where I should hook it up. From there, I asked any questions I may have had.

Doing it this way made me very comfortable with what I had to do.
Perhaps you should add this little technique to your DIY repetoire.

Good luck... I'm sure you will like the results of the kit you have!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW, just adding the Racetronics wiring to my existing Dual pump setup gave me another 2 to 3 PSI of Fuel Pressure at WOT.

Their stuff works.

Quick Reply: Racetronix 98 Fuel Pump...no instructions