26.67%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Which External Fuel Pump..please vote

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetronix
We have been making DP systems for the f-body cars since the mid-late 90's.
Lonnie's has been making them since Dec 2005.
The GTO DP system is a fairly recent addition.
There was a very long list of GTO owners that were waiting and waiting for the Racetronix solution that was being tested in one car. This never materialized despite numerous rumors to the contrary... I understand the whole limited market equates to high prices and a resultant small amount of customers thinking, so no ill will on my part.

In any case it turned out my net HP goals would have exceeded this mystery setup, which is why I turned to my custom approach.

As for other solutions, the GTO community was scrambling for something plug and play, there just was not anything available two years ago. As the saying goes time heals all wounds, and now there are several options for us.....just a little late for me.

having pretty much wrapped up my fuel requirements I am happy with the final solution, basically an OEM system up until I need more oooooompphhhh!!

watching fuel pressure climb with boost and not drop off at all is a beautiful thing!!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently producing the double pumper kits for the GTO. Widespread knowldege of these kits is still increasing & I am building about 3-4 GTO systems per month.

Unfortunately, I am still waiting for some dyno results for this setup. It should be comparable to the other kits I build (F-body & Vette) which have been proven to over 930rwhp with the limits not yet found. I've heard rumor of 980 with one of these setups, but have not seen an actual dyno sheet as of yet. Those of you that have results, please share your results & also forward your car info & pics to me for inclusion in my customer car showcase.

For additional tech info, please give me a call. The best time to reach me is (724)322-8505 7:00pm-11:00pm eastern time weekdays & 9:00am-11:00pm weekends.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Teching In

hi guys, new to the forum, for those using Bosch 044 pump can you run as a single pump? if so how long/how many miles have you put on. my goal will be around 500/600 forced induction. street/autocross use so i plan on put at least 10k miles per year.

This may sound stupid but here it goes....
i have a carb "FRAM" fuel filter around i was thinking about using as pre filter it is 10 microns and 90gph i think it has a paper filter.... use it or dont?

my 1st choice was aeromotive a1000 but price and a few comment online changed my mind any body that ran then for long time or miles?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 AM
FormerVendor

I have seen many Bosch pumps with alot of miles very durable pump.

DO NOT use that filter the carb stuff does not flow nearly enough for inj.

There are many options for you give me a call I will help you with a setup specificly for your application and use.

Nate
Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

When I worked at Wheel to Wheel, we had great success with the Bosch pumps sold through Kinsler. We would use two in a side-by-side configuration and support 1000hp easily. These are the same pumps used on turbo Porsches from the factory. The part number is 10211 as seen on this page of their catalog:

http://www.kinsler.com/Cat_31_Web_HT..._screen59.html

Mark Koehler runs this setup on his turbo Trans Am (the Sunset Orange one). He runs 8.0s at 3400 pounds race weight using two of these pumps.

I have personally used the Aeromotive 1000 and Weldon 2024 on the street and burned up both of them. They seem to lock up after getting heated up.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Reckless
When I worked at Wheel to Wheel, we had great success with the Bosch pumps sold through Kinsler. We would use two in a side-by-side configuration and support 1000hp easily. These are the same pumps used on turbo Porsches from the factory. The part number is 10211 as seen on this page of their catalog:

http://www.kinsler.com/Cat_31_Web_HT..._screen59.html

Mark Koehler runs this setup on his turbo Trans Am (the Sunset Orange one). He runs 8.0s at 3400 pounds race weight using two of these pumps.

I have personally used the Aeromotive 1000 and Weldon 2024 on the street and burned up both of them. They seem to lock up after getting heated up.
Apples & Oranges -- two different style pumps. The A1000is a flow through design, while the 2025 (which I believe you meant) has the motor separate from the pump element (no fuel runs through the motor). Not sure what caused the A1000 to fail, but probably the same root problem as what caused the Weldon to fail -- cavitation due to fuel heat / vapor lock prior to the pump possibly in the filter. This cavitation (at least in the Weldon) caused the internal leaded bronze bearing to become milled away and this caused the rotor / blade to jam (usually on pump restart) breaking the coupler. I would bet the motor was still operational.

The Weldon can and or could have been rebuilt, I highly doubt the motor locked up since they have a drive coupling that separates the motor from the pump end. The coupler is designed to break when ever contamination is introduced to the pump cavity. The pump end might have been "locked up" but this is easily repaired. The coupling kit is also readily available. Weldon also recommends a little tighter micron rating on the inlet filter -- 40 micron instead of the industry standard 100.

These issues could possibly be corrected just by using their respective pump controllers. The reason most don't have an issue with the Bosch is that it doesn't flow as much the A1000 and no where near what the 2025 flows. This is also why you see them in dual or tandem pump applications where you'll stage them as the load increases. Most never run two at the same time -- otherwise you might end up in the same situation.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

so how again is it worth buying a $300 pump and $300 controller as opposed to two $100(quiet, reliable, usable in a stock tank) pumps and a relay?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Craig
Apples & Oranges -- two different style pumps. The A1000is a flow through design, while the 2025 (which I believe you meant) has the motor separate from the pump element (no fuel runs through the motor). Not sure what caused the A1000 to fail, but probably the same root problem as what caused the Weldon to fail -- cavitation due to fuel heat / vapor lock prior to the pump possibly in the filter. This cavitation (at least in the Weldon) caused the internal leaded bronze bearing to become milled away and this caused the rotor / blade to jam (usually on pump restart) breaking the coupler. I would bet the motor was still operational.

The Weldon can and or could have been rebuilt, I highly doubt the motor locked up since they have a drive coupling that separates the motor from the pump end. The coupler is designed to break when ever contamination is introduced to the pump cavity. The pump end might have been "locked up" but this is easily repaired. The coupling kit is also readily available. Weldon also recommends a little tighter micron rating on the inlet filter -- 40 micron instead of the industry standard 100.

These issues could possibly be corrected just by using their respective pump controllers. The reason most don't have an issue with the Bosch is that it doesn't flow as much the A1000 and no where near what the 2025 flows. This is also why you see them in dual or tandem pump applications where you'll stage them as the load increases. Most never run two at the same time -- otherwise you might end up in the same situation.
Agree with you Jim, point is, no fuel driving down the street, having to pull over for an hour while the pump cools so you can drive again...either way, the Weldon and A1000 were both pains in the *** for me. I would recommend them for drag racing only, but not for street use.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
so how again is it worth buying a $300 pump and $300 controller as opposed to two $100(quiet, reliable, usable in a stock tank) pumps and a relay?
For some applications its not -- you as the owner of the vehicle has to make that decision. All the companies' that offer aftermarket high performance parts can do is attempt to educate the buying public so that they can make that educated decision. You have a few vendors on this site that sell very reliable fuel system parts and components -- you obviously have found one and if its not broke, don't fix it.

As far as cost, if your looking at Weldon, they are the most expensive electric fuel pump on the market. But there is no mystery as to what they will flow and if your a boosted application, then you had better know what your fuel pumps are flowing, especially at your total system pressure.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Aeromotive had a pump in their both at PRi that went 125,000 miles. Most of the aftermarket pumps when installed corectly (read the instructions if it says it needs a -10 inlet don't screw a -10 to -6 adapter in it and wonder why it failed) will last for a very long time. Very few companies can build junk and stay in business for very long.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

(2) Walbro 255s
Old 05-02-2009, 02:50 PM
8 Second Club

2 warlboros.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
Kinda what I was wondering???
Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been building the dual intank kits for the GTO, for over 2 years now.
With many in circulation, they have proven themselves reliable & capable of supporting over 1000rwhp.

Trying to make things as simple as possible with a drop in solution.

Please contact me if I can help you with a fuel system.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys running 2 in tank walbros... are you running them staged (turning the second one on with a hobbs switch or something similar)? Stock fuel lines or something larger?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i cut the second on with my boost controller and have them combine to -8 line in the tank
Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jstacy
Aeromotive had a pump in their both at PRi that went 125,000 miles. Most of the aftermarket pumps when installed corectly (read the instructions if it says it needs a -10 inlet don't screw a -10 to -6 adapter in it and wonder why it failed) will last for a very long time. Very few companies can build junk and stay in business for very long.
Unless they make Cruise missles on the side

Quick Reply: Which External Fuel Pump..please vote