See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

How to run your LS1 on E85

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff once again its good to see some good results from this fuel, its definitely very promising, and hopefully more pumps will be available when I finally go home. So Runn I see in your sig you plan on going with Twin Turbo, may I ask what kit you are going with? Man that will be one mean setup with E85. You will get awesome results for sure. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS2Camaro
Good stuff once again its good to see some good results from this fuel, its definitely very promising, and hopefully more pumps will be available when I finally go home. So Runn I see in your sig you plan on going with Twin Turbo, may I ask what kit you are going with? Man that will be one mean setup with E85. You will get awesome results for sure. Good Luck and Merry Christmas.
I´m buying Joshuas Incon-kit
Old 12-25-2006, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great pick I actually saw that in the for sale section the other day, really surprised it lasted there as long as it did, especially at that price. You def got a hell of a deal. If I didn't already purchase my kit, I would of jumped on that one.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im interested in this too since I cant stand the thought of how rich those mid-east countries are getting off us. and ofcourse venesuala too. this could be exactly what america needs to stop being soo oil dependant. I know Im goin to look into where stations are around me, and if possible, I'll make the switch. even if it comes out to a little extra it would be worth it to see my money support our country and help clean up the environment all the while opening the door to more performance by way of upped SCR/DCR. Im sure it will be cheaper in a couple years when its more wide spread and more common.

the biggest problem will be that once youve made the switch, you have to find an E85 gas station when you need to fill up. that will be awefully inconvenient for a while. I remember back in the 3rd gen days, the TTA guys had double E-prom ECM's. you could literally throw a switch, and use the other chip when using race fuel and upping the boost. or back to lower boost settings and pump gas. how cool would that be if we could do that for this stuff?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Chris, there's a few stations around here, but not exactly "on every corner". This site has a button you can follow that can show you where there are pumps around you:

http://www.e85refueling.com/

Around here it seems to be mostly Mejiers stations that have it. I'll have to look next time I go past the one on 8 mile and Haggerty.

Later

Originally Posted by Irocss85
Im interested in this too since I cant stand the thought of how rich those mid-east countries are getting off us. and ofcourse venesuala too. this could be exactly what america needs to stop being soo oil dependant. I know Im goin to look into where stations are around me, and if possible, I'll make the switch. even if it comes out to a little extra it would be worth it to see my money support our country and help clean up the environment all the while opening the door to more performance by way of upped SCR/DCR. Im sure it will be cheaper in a couple years when its more wide spread and more common.

the biggest problem will be that once youve made the switch, you have to find an E85 gas station when you need to fill up. that will be awefully inconvenient for a while. I remember back in the 3rd gen days, the TTA guys had double E-prom ECM's. you could literally throw a switch, and use the other chip when using race fuel and upping the boost. or back to lower boost settings and pump gas. how cool would that be if we could do that for this stuff?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

thanks steve. I actually found that after posting. there's a meijer almost directly on my way home at haggerty north of 15mile that has it. stopped in there yesterday to check it out. there are a handful around, and perhaps if you were to make the switch the best thing to do is keep the list of local stations all around you in the car. it'll just lose the convenience that were all used to. thing is, I almost excusivly use mobile for my gas, so it really wouldnt be too much more of a hassle then it already is.
what can be done to cope with colder weather? I drive my car in early spring, and late into the fall (I actually just took it for a cruise last week to take advantage of this unusually warm winter were having) and its often below 60deg. in those times of the year up here in michigan. maybe an aux. startup fogger setup? almost similar to the TPI's 9th inj. that could be turned on to "prime" the engine on cold starts?

also, I remember reading about back in the day of methonal alch., you'd hear of having to "mix" the fuel while in the tank. and youd see racers pushing the cars side to side in the staging lanes to do this. does the new ethonal have any bad characeristics like that? the fuel seperating while sitting for periods of time?

another question, wouldnt this be a great alch. for people with boost that have the alchy kits on there? you know, instead of having to find someplace that sells methonal use E85?

Steve, hows your project comeing along? send me a pm and fill me in.

chris
Old 01-06-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome Post !!!
E85 is a way of the future...as is BioDiesel

Hmmm....can you imagine Diesel Ls1 ? That would rock...think of the torque ! lol

Last edited by AdamSS; 01-06-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AdamSS
Awesome Post !!!
E85 is a way of the future...as is BioDiesel

Hmmm....can you imagine Diesel Ls1 ? That would rock...think of the torque ! lol
Diesel LS1... hmm, no thanks.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn dude, great writeup. If we get more gas stations to start selling that here, I may just have to try this and go high compresion when I rebuild my motor. Can't wait to see the results when you put those Incon's on it.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

This must be great for those who are considering boosting a stock LS1, and dont want to change the compression ratio. Would be nice to be able to change from the E85 adjusted PCM to a GAS adjusted PCM with the flick of a switch though. So I could still run the car if i run out of E85 on a track day or something .
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hersker Hans
This must be great for those who are considering boosting a stock LS1, and dont want to change the compression ratio. Would be nice to be able to change from the E85 adjusted PCM to a GAS adjusted PCM with the flick of a switch though. So I could still run the car if i run out of E85 on a track day or something .
You dont need to change your CR to run E85, you can and get more power but you dont lose any power by changing to E85 infact you gain.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

subscribing
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just lifting it up...
Old 03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hersker Hans
I am going to be installing an older maggie on my 01 Yukon 5.3L with the flex fuel option. I have EFI Live, so I am going to change over to the white 3.8L/ASA fuel injectors and let her rip!!! I will let you know how it is all turning out.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
11 Second Club

whats a "maggie"?
Old 03-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Magnuson Supercharger
Old 03-11-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

What is the max safe scr/dcr one can run on e-85?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blk02Ls1A4
What is the max safe scr/dcr one can run on e-85?
No one really knows, all the E85 cars on the market are built to use gas aswell soo the CR they have is low.

E85 have 104 octan, do some maths
Old 03-12-2007, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking in the 11.5 to 12 range with a dcr 8.6 to 8.9.

Have you disabled your evap system to help keep the fuel tank sealed?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Teching In

nice post runn, there's a great amount of good info on this. I'm new to this site, but have been researching e85 for a while now. We run it in our turbo sled at school for the SAE clean snowmobile challenge. I'm waiting for it to become a little more available, and then I'll switch my vehicles over. I plan on running high compression in my big block, and a turbo setup on my v6 with the e85.

Quick Reply: How to run your LS1 on E85