Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

FUEL PUMP --- What does this mean "must be run with a bypass/return style regulator"

Old 01-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Back in the staging lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FUEL PUMP --- What does this mean "must be run with a bypass/return style regulator"

It's in the description of a fuel pump I am looking at. Is that a special kind of regulator? I have the Speed Inc adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Does that work? Thanks.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: FUEL PUMP --- What does this mean "must be run with a bypass/return style regulator"

Two types of regulators are out there -
"buck", and "bypass".

The "buck" style works by restricting flow
through it. It presumes / requires a minimum
flow to work (otherwise, a little leakage
through the regulator could still build
pressure.

The bypass regulator works, instead, by
releasing any fuel not needed to make the
pressure into an alternate line (the return).
The bypass regulator need not create any
restriction in the line, and this is more
efficient at high flows.

Earlier models had the regulator up front
and a return line back to the tank. From
what I read, the later ('99-up?) have the
regulator mounted on the in-tank pump. So
all return is local.

If you run the (unregulated) pump in line after
your present pump system, and there's no bypass
reg / return line to the tank, it will pump
to the limit of its abilities, resulting in
an unregulated fuel pressure up front. Bad.

Having the regulator at the front end of the
injector rails is the best, it can null out
all of the variables and give you the most
consistent pressure (hence most consistent
performance). But best isn't cheapest....
Old 01-29-2003, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Re: FUEL PUMP --- What does this mean "must be run with a bypass/return style regulator"

thats sorta what i think is correct, lemme see if i can clarify

'buck' regulates fuel before it gets to the rails

like this (fuel flowing)

tank--->pump------>regulator-->rails->end

'return' regulates the amount of fuel going back to the tank after the rails

like this tank--->pump------->rails---->regulator-->tank

buck style will cause a fuel pressure drop on a quick stab of the throttle, and return style will not (as much)

buck style also puts a lot of strain on the fuel pump.. this is the part you are concerned about.

all ls1 years are all return style, meaning the regulator is bleeding fuel pressure off of the rails and dumping exess back to the tank.

beeler, long as you have a return line going back to the tank, you have a 'return' setup. so you are good.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the above is true, but they might be saying that its simply not a pump for a returnless system (like the new stangs, where the computer controls the voltage, to keep the fuel pressure where it needs to be)

Ryan.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

the answer is in the question what they are saying is the return back to the tank does not go through the regulator first
Old 01-31-2003, 07:58 PM
Back in the staging lane

Pony killer, To me it sounds like they are saying the return line does go thru the regulator first. </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> like this tank--->pump------->rails---->regulator-->tank </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Old 02-02-2003, 01:13 AM
On The Tree

you are correct it just does not regulate what goes back to the tank hince bypass thats all it means
Old 02-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Launching!

OK, I m just wondering..... I got a 00 camaro, and a stock intank pump, and a areomotive inline pump. and a F/P reg. from www.chargedair.com .And I was told I should get a new intank pump. is that true??
Old 02-19-2003, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

sscamaro, for your mods you could certainly use a walbro gss340 in the tank, but if you have the big aeromotive inline on allready, it may not change a thing... but at some point the stock pump will be a flow restriction to the aeromotive, and hurt its capability.. like a dead battery put in series with a really good battery, just isnt the best solution

overall, if your fuel pressure is staying up and you are safe in the air fuel ratio, then changing anything is not necessary.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:10 PM
Launching!

ya my problem was that I was loosing f/p when I went into boost. Idle was 62psi, and when I get in to boost it drops to about 51-53psi. That's why I got the areomotive pump.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

SS - your gonna have to go into the tank to remove the stock regulator before installing the CAS regulator you got. so it it were me I would be real tempted to return the aeromotive and get the big intank and be done with it.

it's quieter, cleaner install, and works well.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:40 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Blackbird:
<strong> SS - your gonna have to go into the tank to remove the stock regulator before installing the CAS regulator you got. so it it were me I would be real tempted to return the aeromotive and get the big intank and be done with it.

it's quieter, cleaner install, and works well. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What if I did the inline areomotive, along with the intank. Wouldn't that be a better way? Also.... where can I get a walbro intank, with everything I need( brackets, fittings, etc..)FOR HELLA CHEAP?

<small>[ February 19, 2003, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: sscamaro387 ]</small>
Old 02-20-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I would talk to racetronix and ramchargers about getting what you need for the intank.

with a big enough in-tank the inline is unecessary.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Blackbird:
<strong> I would talk to racetronix and ramchargers about getting what you need for the intank.

with a big enough in-tank the inline is unecessary. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">do u got the number to racetronix. I think I m gonna go with the duel intank
Old 02-20-2003, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I called Speed Inc. and they said that they only make the duel pumps for a 98, and I got a 00. So what would be the next possible step. Or does anyone have info on how to make it work?
Old 02-20-2003, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would call and talk with racetronix, I have a 99 and i have their dual in-tank pumps. But I don't know about later years.
Old 02-23-2003, 12:16 AM
Launching!

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lost & Found2:
<strong> I would call and talk with racetronix, I have a 99 and i have their dual in-tank pumps. But I don't know about later years. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Do u got the num. to them. and if u got a 99, it should fit my 00 cause they are the same style.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FUEL PUMP --- What does this mean "must be run with a bypass/return style regulator"