Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Magnafuel Pump Surging

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnafuel Pump Surging

I was driving yesterday and the car surged then shut off, I got to a gas station and started it and heard the fuel pump surging on off on off..etc

I filled up with gas let it sit and it was fine, it did this once more on the drive about an hr later. This is an aftermarket magnafuel external pump setup.

Any advice?

I am guessing its a bad relay or a loose wire...RELAY?

A pump wouldnt do this would it?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:36 AM
9 Second Club

If you were sold this pump with only one relay thats the problem. I burned up my relay and wire because my 4303 requires dual relays.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:13 AM
12 Second Club

Yes i was sold a dual relay, but one of the relays purpose(If i remember correctly) was for a safety shutdown pushbutton which I dont need.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:21 PM
FormerVendor

Wire both relays to the pump they suck alot of voltage.

Nate
Old 07-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Coal Mining Director

If you were low on gasoline, that big ol pump could have heated the fuel up through recirculation....then you cavitated...then you added cool fuel and the problem went away. Big pumps on the street make hot fuel....the less you have to recycle in the tank the hotter the fuel gets. Been there done that.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

That is what i initially thought man, cuz i added fuel and it was ok. About an hour after that it did the same it coulda only been down 3-4 gallons. But who knows it was hot. See if it happens again. I was pushing 80+ mph.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

You have a hot fuel handling issue. You need to slow the pump down under normal driving conditions. There are a few company's out there that make controllers to slow down the speed of the pump. Another thing to check into is your filter before the pump. Make sure it's a 100micron stainless steel element and not a paper. Paper on the suction side of a pump is not a good thing.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

We dont have that problem and street drive the crap out fo those pumps
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by C5Fire
You have a hot fuel handling issue. You need to slow the pump down under normal driving conditions. There are a few company's out there that make controllers to slow down the speed of the pump. Another thing to check into is your filter before the pump. Make sure it's a 100micron stainless steel element and not a paper. Paper on the suction side of a pump is not a good thing.
This pump does not need that. And you should not use any pump controller on these pumps.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
This pump does not need that. And you should not use any pump controller on these pumps.

He has a hot fuel handling issue. A speed pump controller will slow down the recycle rate of the fuel system. Thus giving him better drivability. I went to magna fuels website and not once did they address hot fuel handling. They did have this to say about a "voltage step-down box":

"Voltage Step-down Devices: Never use step-down devices (voltage reduction boxes) on MagnaFuel fuel pumps. Never operate any electric motor on lower voltage than the motor was designed for. Low voltage can cause motor fluctuation and excessive amp draw. MagnaFuel recommends 12.5V and higher."

This is true if you just lower voltage. Most speed pump controllers pulse modulate voltage so you don't get the huge amp draw. If you say he can't use a speed pump controller, how come and how do we help him fix his problem?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
9 Second Club

He has a hot fuel handling issue. A speed pump controller will slow down the recycle rate of the fuel system. Thus giving him better drivability. I went to magna fuels website and not once did they address hot fuel handling. They did have this to say about a "voltage step-down box":

"Voltage Step-down Devices: Never use step-down devices (voltage reduction boxes) on MagnaFuel fuel pumps. Never operate any electric motor on lower voltage than the motor was designed for. Low voltage can cause motor fluctuation and excessive amp draw. MagnaFuel recommends 12.5V and higher."

This is true if you just lower voltage. Most speed pump controllers pulse modulate voltage so you don't get the huge amp draw. If you say he can't use a speed pump controller, how come and how do we help him fix his problem?
Voltage Step-down Devices: Never use step-down devices (voltage reduction boxes) on MagnaFuel fuel pumps. Never operate any electric motor on lower voltage than the motor was designed for. Low voltage can cause motor fluctuation and excessive amp draw. MagnaFuel recommends 12.5V and higher

http://www.magnafuel.com/support/index.htm

Wire in both relays like I did. My pump has never done that and mine is a 4303.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Voltage Step-down Devices: Never use step-down devices (voltage reduction boxes) on MagnaFuel fuel pumps. Never operate any electric motor on lower voltage than the motor was designed for. Low voltage can cause motor fluctuation and excessive amp draw. MagnaFuel recommends 12.5V and higher

http://www.magnafuel.com/support/index.htm

Wire in both relays like I did. My pump has never done that and mine is a 4303.
So are you saying he is having a relay problem? And why do 3 of the 4 major fuel system company's have speed pump controllers?

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=31
http://www.weldonracing.com/product....ump_Controller
http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=53

Which still leaves the question, how do we help him fix his problem?[I]
Old 08-01-2007, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

I will keep an eye on it, i will run dual relays to reduce amperage in each relay, if it happens again and its hot then that will answer that. Hasnt happened since. Could have been an electrical connection to the signal wire side of the relay...

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
9 Second Club

So are you saying he is having a relay problem? And why do 3 of the 4 major fuel system company's have speed pump controllers?

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=31
http://www.weldonracing.com/product....ump_Controller
http://www.barrygrant.com/bgfuel/default.aspx?page=53

Which still leaves the question, how do we help him fix his problem?[I]
Since I HAD this problem and the pump surged and over heated on me I can say what fixed my problem. Now I would like to know do you even own a magnafuel pump or Nasty performance fuel system? Because I also had to increase the size of the vent on my tank. I have had my fair share of problems with my fuel system and fixed them all. Now with everything I have stated when I finished the dual relays I drove my car for a 250 mile road trip and it ran flawless. This is on a 700 rwhp car. Plus I drive my car to the track,car shows and to the shop. And it ran really well untill I took it down for its new mods. But I also wanted to run a controller and magnafuel and Nate both advised against it.

Last edited by JMBLOWNWS6; 08-01-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

I hope it does fix his problem he was having (adding another relay). Although I don't see how adding fuel made his relay problem better? We are all here to learn and help each other out. I don't own a magna fuel pump......but lets just say I work in the fuel industry.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 PM
9 Second Club

I hope it does fix his problem he was having (adding another relay). Although I don't see how adding fuel made his relay problem better? We are all here to learn and help each other out. I don't own a magna fuel pump......but lets just say I work in the fuel industry.
I work in the electric motor industry But I did call maganfuel and ask and thats what I got. I will admint this my fuel gets HOT
Old 08-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Coal Mining Director

Best advice for big pump guys is too keep the tank full on a long cruise. If you are running 80 gallons an hour through a pump at 58psi you would cycle a 15 gallon tank over 5 times in an hour......if you had 3 gallons in the tank it would cycle 27times...and get hotter and hotter....

I've tested this with my twin 044's....with both running and 3 gal in the tank you can hear it start to cavitate due to hot fuel after 30 minutes on a hot day with a base pressure of 72psi. One pump running never causes that problem.

It's got nothing to do with the brand,eff,etc of the pump...it's just the physics of how much fuel you are flowing and how much psi it's compressing.

Now the second relay masked the pump or single relay getting hot but has nothing to do with hot fuel.

Magnafuel makes a killer pump that will handle a ton of power...WJ uses them.

Quick Reply: Magnafuel Pump Surging