Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

98+ stock rails, use test port as return?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would happen if you run the return off of the schrader valve from the stock fuel rails with no regulator? I am just curious because I have seen a car set-up like this before. He had an intank and inline fuel pump and routed the return off of the test port. I thought it was a bad idea but hey I am still routing everything through my ATI FMU that is no longer boost referenced. I just have it tuned to run off of the Racetronix PnP and 60 lb injectors.

Last edited by Packy; 10-19-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

and if you have no regulator your will have extremely poor fuel pressure and most likely an extremely tough time making anything useful out of it.

the fmu is a pressure regulator, but it just does it on a ratio and is put ahead of the stock regulator to supercede it.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
and if you have no regulator your will have extremely poor fuel pressure and most likely an extremely tough time making anything useful out of it.

the fmu is a pressure regulator, but it just does it on a ratio and is put ahead of the stock regulator to supercede it.
Interesting, thanks for the answer.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I think my fuel system is what you describe. I simply removed the shrader from the test port, screwed on a fuel regulator then ran a line to the back of the car to the return. I run dual walbs in the tank.

Really easy and inexpensive to do.

I've been running this setup at the below power level, daily driven during the warm season for the last 3 or 4 years. No problems so far.

-Kevin
Old 10-27-2008, 04:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NoGo
I think my fuel system is what you describe. I simply removed the shrader from the test port, screwed on a fuel regulator then ran a line to the back of the car to the return. I run dual walbs in the tank.

Really easy and inexpensive to do.

I've been running this setup at the below power level, daily driven during the warm season for the last 3 or 4 years. No problems so far.

-Kevin
Cool! I actually saw it on car from around Va but I think that I am going to try that too. What kind of regulator did you use? Do you have any pics? For your return line did you use the steel braided line from the ATI kit?

Last edited by Packy; 10-27-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I used an aeromotive regulator....I don't know which one. Probably about 1x2" in size. I screwed it right onto the fuel rail.

I used a steel braided line, but not the one from the ATI kit. I went and purchased a rubber lined 6an steel braided line. I ran the line right next to the stock supply line all the way back to the factory return line and joined the two.

My only regret is not getting the teflon lined steel braided line....for some odd reason the rubber lined hose smells like fuel even when there are no leaks. Kind of annoying.

Quick Reply: 98+ stock rails, use test port as return?