Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Help! Not gettin' any gas at injectors or spark....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help! Not gettin' any gas....

Checked everything electrical, relays, fuses, etc., etc., etc. and even tested the battery and it showed good.

Tried another battery out of an '02 S10 and haven't had a problem with it starting. What's funny is that I had a problem with it starting 1 1/2 years ago when I heard something pop under the hood and the green eye went black. I jumped it and took it to the dealer where they said the post was cross threaded and the battery tested good. After that, the dinger (that thing that makes that irritating noise when you leave your key in the ignition) sounded different and the radio didn't seem to have the same sound quality. Thought it was just me. Soooo, long story short, might be the battery. My personal uneducated opinion, bad ground on the battery due to cross-threading at the factory or dealer.

Whaddayya think? A month worrying and wondering about my car has made me go quite loopy! Plus paying the car payment and insurance and not getting to drive it kind of sucks!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could just be a bad cell in the battery also
Old 08-28-2003, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

did you check the crank sensor? this will tell the computer when to fire spark and fuel into each cylinder, i know these go bad cause I replaced one my my dad's 3.1 lumina
Old 08-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

did you check the crank sensor? this will tell the computer when to fire spark and fuel into each cylinder, i know these go bad cause I replaced one my my dad's 3.1 lumina
Yep, it's fine. That was the problem. Everything was fine. What a stumper.

Going to hear final word on whether it was the battery for sure this a.m. The stock Delco battery is about to go in the trash!! Probably going to go with an Optima since I don't drive it much. All this time and it was just the $#*@%^& battery!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

Ok. It's back from my friend at the dealership. After no spark and no fuel at the injectors, he replaced the computer, anti-theft, ignition and nothing helped. Even traced grounds.

After changing out the battery, it didn't have a problem starting for him. Remember, this car was CRANKING OVER fine with the other battery, just no spark or fuel.

I drove it home and started it several times. One time it didn't start. Still a problem somewhere. He checked relays, this, that and the other. He went over the car thoroughly. Even had other guys look at it.

Can anyone think of ANYTHING else, no matter how stupid it might sound? I had faith in it being the battery but then the one failed start and I don't trust it.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Bringing this topic back to the top again in hopes someone has more ideas.

Here's the run-down. 00 WS6 - 9,400 miles/out of warranty.

1) Car cranks but does not start - not getting fuel at injectors and no spark.

2) Has new PCM, theft deterrent, ignition and battery.

3) Started for two days after I received it back from my friend that had it at the dealership where he works. He put in all the new parts.

4) Been sitting in the garage for another 2 months, doesn't start.

Can't find anything wrong. Relays or otherwise.

Any ideas? Now all 4 of my cars are broken down in one way or another if anyone can believe that!!! Having to hitch a ride to work.

Dee
Old 03-14-2004, 02:20 AM
11 Second Club

what happened with this? my car is doing the same thing, but once it finally starts it is fine. What was it?
Old 03-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1998whiteTranzam
what happened with this? my car is doing the same thing, but once it finally starts it is fine. What was it?
Check out this link where I've been bitching about my problem.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/135115-cranks-but-won-t-start-w-t-f.html

Well, still don't know what it is. I've been working for 3 weeks to get the guy out who took it to the dealer for me to put it on the scanner again. Hopefully we'll know if it's got any codes this week.

Can you tell me more about your situation, miles, etc.

Mine does not start at all now. When it did start, it would run fine. Everyone has said check computer, ignition, theft deterrent, grounds, fuel pump, fuel regulator (?), coils, etc. etc. but after talking to the guy that worked on it in the first place, he said he checked all of that.

Soooo, !!!!

I'll update this as soon as we find the problem. Think it must be something Pontiac is not telling us!
Old 03-15-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

i got the same problem in my 99 camaro ss. however, my problem is different because my car just sometimes refuses to start when it is hot. i checked my ground behind my heads and they are fine. fuel pump works fine. i have pressure on my fuel rails. ignition cranks but it doesnt start the engine. i have new plugs, but i have the stock spark plug wires. even when my car was alll stock i had issues trying to start my car after i gunned it or raced somebody. right now i just cleaned up my key with alcohol and it started right up. no issues so far, but i have a new clutch put in two days ago and i need to break it in before i can step on my car hard again. only then ill be able to tell if it starts or not. i dont know why but i have that delco battery and i wonder if that is a problem. i am gonna start replacing cheap parts first. wires, battery, etc. if those dont fix it then ill take it to the dealership. i hate to do that, but i cant stand it when i step on it hard and then trying to start it up after i shut it off. it gets on my nerves.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

My 1999 SS won't start either....here's my situation: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/146902-need-help-now-my-ss-stranded.html

I just went out to my car and cleaned my ignition key with alcohol and inserted it into the ignition several times to clean the mating area to the key's resistor. I tried to start it again but still nothing. Here is a perfect way to describe what's happening if you have a stick....attempt to start your car without pushing in the clutch, that's exactly what's happening but I have the clutch to the floor. I thought the clutch switch was bad so I swapped it with my 00 Ws6's but still nothing. I didn't get a chance to scan the PCM last weekend, but hopefully I can get it scanned this Wednesday; I have run out of guesses. Where is the Ignition relay control module, part number? I swapped all my relays in the two boxes on the driver's side. What about the crank sensor, where is that located?
Old 03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Like I said before, GM has probably had lots of problems like ours, but for some reason, they're not letting us know.

Makes you sick when you pay over $500 a month for the payment and insurance and it's sitting in the garage for 6 months because it can't be diagnosed. What stumps everyone on mine is that it's totally stock, 9,400 granny miles on it.

Even the dealership was stumped! Where do you go after that?????

No updates yet.....

Dee
Old 03-16-2004, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

I am...just plain lost. I have been doing searches on every damn fbody site on the net! My car is a 98ta, I just installed pacesetter headers,ory, and a 3500 tci stall. Also removed air,and egr. I havent touched the car in 2 days, went outside and it started up on the 1st try as usual. Well 2 cranks later did it again. I did a fuel pressure check and it was fine. Removed or swapped relays,fuses. Checked the grounds on the block. Oh my brand new ngks are straight black and smell like gas. My car will attempt to crank, fuel pump comes on pressure is good, turn key car cranks away, so its not the starter. Floor the car and it sputters and starts vvvvvrrrrrrrrooooooom. Idles fine,drives fine wot fine. Wtf could cause this at start up? The car is absolutely flooded after 3 starts, what give what did you guys come up with?
Old 03-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
Did you ever check the relay like I suggested???? Just try it! it takes 30 seconds.
I don't remember. Looked back in the post to see which relay you meant and didn't see it. Can you tell me again which relay it was?

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Resident

Have you thought about this yet? https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=vats
Old 03-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 14u2nv
Yep! That's been covered. Brand new VAT which included key and cylinder.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2004, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey ws6 convertible, my car has had the same issues like yours. however, it does start after cranking it up a few times and as soon it starts it sputters for a bit and then it idles fine. however, not long ago i read that the holley, k and n filters tend to aggravate the issue even more if you dont clean those filters on a regular basis. remember, when you are cranking up your car the motor needs oxygen in order for combustion to take place. if your air filter is clogged up then the engine cant suck up air to burn fuel. two days ago my car didnt want to start and although it has had no problems for the last two weeks, yesterday it started again. i even went from amoco to shell fuel and it seemed to improve the condition.
my problem seems to only happen when it is hot outside. remember, i live in miami and yesterday it was a hot day and my car had been sitting outside so when i went to start it, it didnt want to start up. it cranked over fine, but it wouldnt start. the funny part is that when i went to just tap my accelator and then cranked it up, it started right up. i know our cars are fuel injected and you dont need to give it gas to start it. however, if you think about it seems as if there isnt any air in the engine to crank up so of course you wont get combustion. i went ahead and tried to start it up again without pressing the accelerator and it didnt want to start, so i pressed it again and it started up. i think it has to do with the air filter more than anything because anytime a car doesnt want to start when it is hot it is 90 percent because of a dirty fuel or air filter. sometimes, we happen to miss the smallest things and next thing you know it could have been something truely obvious
Old 03-30-2004, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
hey ws6 convertible, my car has had the same issues like yours. however, it does start after cranking it up a few times and as soon it starts it sputters for a bit and then it idles fine. however, not long ago i read that the holley, k and n filters tend to aggravate the issue even more if you dont clean those filters on a regular basis. remember, when you are cranking up your car the motor needs oxygen in order for combustion to take place. if your air filter is clogged up then the engine cant suck up air to burn fuel. two days ago my car didnt want to start and although it has had no problems for the last two weeks, yesterday it started again. i even went from amoco to shell fuel and it seemed to improve the condition.
my problem seems to only happen when it is hot outside. remember, i live in miami and yesterday it was a hot day and my car had been sitting outside so when i went to start it, it didnt want to start up. it cranked over fine, but it wouldnt start. the funny part is that when i went to just tap my accelator and then cranked it up, it started right up. i know our cars are fuel injected and you dont need to give it gas to start it. however, if you think about it seems as if there isnt any air in the engine to crank up so of course you wont get combustion. i went ahead and tried to start it up again without pressing the accelerator and it didnt want to start, so i pressed it again and it started up. i think it has to do with the air filter more than anything because anytime a car doesnt want to start when it is hot it is 90 percent because of a dirty fuel or air filter. sometimes, we happen to miss the smallest things and next thing you know it could have been something truely obvious
I appreciate this suggestion, but don't think this is the case. I took the air cleaner off and sprayed starter fluid in it while someone else cranked it, and no luck. So, no spark and was getting plenty of air.

If you see this car, you will know there is nothing dirty about any part of it. It all looks showroom new. Not even any dirt on the underside and all the stickers are still on the engine, front end and body parts. It's the perfect right off the showroom floor WS6 convertible.

Everyone is amazed it won't start when they see it since it looks so good.

Thanks again. Please keep suggestions coming!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Was the install of the new ign cyl tough?
Old 04-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99MONGOOSE
Was the install of the new ign cyl tough?
Don't know. The dealer did it. They also cross threaded my tilt steering lever, it came off, so now I don't have a lever.

BTW: Update to the story....Had a guy from RPM in Lewisville put it on the Tech 2 scanner and the COMPUTER is bad AGAIN!!! No codes, no spark. Figure!!! Going to try to find a phone number for a GM rep. in my area and do some ear chewing!!!!
Old 04-06-2004, 07:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make SURE yourself that the ground wire mounted up by the radiator cap is connected well. That's the one that was loose on my car and it wouldn't spark or fire injectors