Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Does anyone make an E85 fuel system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Does anyone make an E85 fuel system?

I want to change to a fuel cell and external pump and I want it to handle E85. Is there anyone that sells a setup like this? Have any of you done this and have part numbers?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandonppr
I want to change to a fuel cell and external pump and I want it to handle E85. Is there anyone that sells a setup like this? Have any of you done this and have part numbers?
When I called Nasty and told him my set-up he suggested his stage 3 street kit but after talking to a few other fuel sponsors, that kit isn't E85 capable. The Walbros aren't intended to flow ethanol.

Give Lonnie a call at LPA. He get you taken care of!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:17 PM
8 Second Club

The Walbros will flow E85 just fine.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by veee8
The Walbros will flow E85 just fine.

Really???? Who told you that, Walbro?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:52 PM
FormerVendor

Ya Walbro pumps are just fine with e85 we have several guys running our systems with E85 we are working on some new stuff hard anodizing all our aluminum parts and such to work better and last longer with corrosive E85. and if you call Lonnie he will set you up with the same exact kit I will as we share alot of parts.

Nate
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Ya Walbro pumps are just fine with e85 we have several guys running our systems with E85 we are working on some new stuff hard anodizing all our aluminum parts and such to work better and last longer with corrosive E85. and if you call Lonnie he will set you up with the same exact kit I will as we share alot of parts.

Nate
I'm one of the guys running your system with E85. I have your stage 3 street kit and when I told you what my set-up was you said I'd be fine. I call another sponsor due to having issues keeping my car running and I'm told something different when I tell him my set-up.

I'm not trying to start bashing people, just giving my opinion on what I've learned and delt with.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Are you still having issues? You can always call us we can help you figure it out. I would like to know what the problems with this stuff are so other customers do not go through it and we can improve our product.

Nate
Old 06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

What all needs to be done to the stock fuel system to run E85?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 06-05-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Check out this thread, it was just a few posts down when I checked. This guy has gone through prob everything you could think of

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-injection/602091-how-run-your-ls1-e85.html

Edit: Haha nevermind, I just saw that you posted in it already.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I found E85 compatable fuel hose from Summit. It is rated at 1000psi and teflon coated.

I am going to replace all mine lines with that. I just changed my tank. I am going to use duel external Walbro pumps. My only thing is the rail. What rail should I use.

I called Lonnies and he was talking about the price would be over $2000. Edit: that was for everything minus the rail. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I don't see why it would cost that much.

So far excluding the rail I have about $550 in it.

Last edited by brandonppr; 06-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Im runnin an Aeromotive A1000 pump, 65lb injectors, #8 feed lines and #6 return. Im just using a set of edelbrock rails, and an aeromotive regulator
Old 06-15-2008, 10:56 AM
Banned

Ok, I found E85 compatable fuel hose from Summit. It is rated at 1000psi and teflon coated.

I am going to replace all mine lines with that. I just changed my tank. I am going to use duel external Walbro pumps. My only thing is the rail. What rail should I use.

I called Lonnies and he was talking about the price would be over $2000.

you don't need to change your line. your stock fuel line will support e-85 just fine.( not just pulling this out of the air, my buddy is running e-85 with a 99 trans am, been running it for about a year.)
Old 06-15-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I called Lonnies and he was talking about the price would be over $2000.

A typical anodized aluminum rail will be fine, so will your stock fuel lines or regular Aeroquip braided hose.
E85 is not as brutal as some think, just keep the water out of it by keeping the fuel system sealed. Piece of cake if all the stock evap system is in place.

You do not need a $2,000 fuel rail, that thing better have a vagina for $2k...WTF
Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That was not for a set of fuel rails. The $2000 budget was a ballpark figure for for a custom tank, external pump, regulator, teflon lines & hard anodized rails/fittings that will withstand the fuel long term.

Please do not quote me unless you give all the information. There is already too much misleading info on the internet.

As for stock lines & tank, they work fine, but any steel parts will be a problem if moisture enters the system. Also a single intank pump will only be good for about 425hp, & the factory lines/regulator will start to be a restriction at around 500rwhp on E85.

As for regular anodized aluminum fittings & rails, they will work, but the anodizing tends to disappear after a year or 2. They should be periodically checked to see if they are OK. I have been working with a few shops that do a lot of E85 setups & it is not too bad, but a few precautions should be followed.

FYI, Walbro pumps are not yet certified for E85, but I have not had a failure to date... so use them at your own risk.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That makes a little more sense.....
The previous post suggested that the fuel rail was a $2k item.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:49 PM
FormerVendor

Our fuel rails will be hard anodized to last a very long time. We are also working on getting our fuel tanks anodized for this type of application.

Nate
Old 06-17-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance
That was not for a set of fuel rails. The $2000 budget was a ballpark figure for for a custom tank, external pump, regulator, teflon lines & hard anodized rails/fittings that will withstand the fuel long term.

Please do not quote me unless you give all the information. There is already too much misleading info on the internet.

As for stock lines & tank, they work fine, but any steel parts will be a problem if moisture enters the system. Also a single intank pump will only be good for about 425hp, & the factory lines/regulator will start to be a restriction at around 500rwhp on E85.

As for regular anodized aluminum fittings & rails, they will work, but the anodizing tends to disappear after a year or 2. They should be periodically checked to see if they are OK. I have been working with a few shops that do a lot of E85 setups & it is not too bad, but a few precautions should be followed.

FYI, Walbro pumps are not yet certified for E85, but I have not had a failure to date... so use them at your own risk.

Sorry, didn't mean to mis quote you. I may have just misunderstood you on the phone then.

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought you said that was using the stock tank and if I used the a cell it would be higher.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance

Old 06-17-2008, 06:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

They seem to be working well as I have approx 20 of them in E85 applications in the US & overseas.

The above is a disclaimer as I want to be up front with my customers, & obviously there is no warranty if used in this application.

As far as power limits, I have 1 turbo application at 750rwhp & a N2O application over 730rwhp with no signs of any flow limitations. Looking for some more real world power numbers from my customers.... Please give me some feedback.