Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is this normal gear whine after 4.10 install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this normal gear whine after 4.10 install?

I just had 4.10 gears installed a few weeks ago. I took it really really easy on them for 500 miles to break them in. I changed the differential oil too after that. I get a slight gear whine around 40-75mph. It doesn't seem to happen all of the time though. The whine comes when I give it a little bit of gas and am cruising or accelerating slightly. If I accelerate faster, the whine doesn't sound as noticeable. When I let off the gas, the sound immediately goes away.

Does this sound like normal 4.10 gear whine? I was expecting some noise but thought that the whining would always be there and not on and off like it is right now. Do you usually get gear whine with 4.10 gears all the time at all speeds whether you're accelerating, decelerating, or cruising?

I get no whine below 40, some whine betwen 40 and 75 or so but it is louder sometimes and doesn't always seem to whine. I'd love to have it be quiet but it's the inconsistent gear whine that is making me wonder if it was a not so perfect gear install or a not so great gear set in the first place.

The guy that installed my gears also mentioned that the hardened coating on my axles is wearing off. I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem either. Thanks for your help guys!

Erwin
Old 09-12-2003, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is this normal gear whine after 4.10 install?

Yep, that's normal whine. Even stock rearends often do it a little (mine does it.) Don't worry about it, it would be ALOT worse if the install was bad.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot Colonel! Just wanted to make sure it was normal. Now it's time to just turn the stereo up louder.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:22 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I had a bad 4.10 install the first time around. Trust me, you KNOW when it's bad (dental drill/ howling wolf/ subway car screech) when you can't even hear your engine and exhaust.
This set/install whines just slightly.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry guy's but i disagree on this one. Don't think that you will get a load sound from a wrong set rear. You can set up the rear and have it off a little and it will be kinda quiet but if you take the time to set it up perfect you should not get noise. Wildfire you did not tell us what brand of gears you had installed? Also i had set up a rear on a dodge then painted the ring gear to a perfect wear pattern only to drive it and it howled {pissed me off} so i ordered a new set of gears used the same exact set up and it was quiet,turned out to be a badly cut gear set {motive gears}. To get gears set up exact takes time and when most people set up rears and get close they usaully keep it that way rather than tearing it apart.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've had three brand new F-body's and bone stock, they ALL had gear whine to some degree, FWIW.

So, I guess I'm saying I disagree with you too.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not saying that they won't have gear noise from the factory just saying that if you build your rear and set it up right there should'nt be noise {hopfully} Will alittle gear noise kill ya ,probably not but a small change in a pinion shim and it might be quiet.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

I hear ya (excuse the pun). I just haven't had much luck with F-body rearends being perfectly quiet...especially after a few runs at the track. It's just something I've learned to accept as being normal after being around these cars for 5-6 years.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I guess that after a few 9.xx passes your rear might make a little noise {better than making 1 load }cause when ya hear that you wanna
Old 09-13-2003, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the whine is very faint, they are setup perfectly. I've setup a few 4.10s before and if you get the pattern perfect, they will only make a faint faint whine. I use 85W140 syn. gear oil to try and make it quieter. Once you cut some good 60's with a stick, they'll pick up some noise
Old 09-13-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is true... my 4.10s were pretty quiet. Then I made 10 passes on my Nittos and now there is definitely a whine at between 60mph and 70mph.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Forgot to mention that the brand of gears I got are supposedly the genuine GM OEM type of gears. I got them through Randy's Ring and Pinion. I haven't heard anything bad about this brand of gears before but it also doesn't seem to be as popular as Motive, Strange, and Richmond.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgot to mention that the brand of gears I got are supposedly the genuine GM OEM type of gears. I got them through Randy's Ring and Pinion. I haven't heard anything bad about this brand of gears before but it also doesn't seem to be as popular as Motive, Strange, and Richmond.
GM gears are my favorite
Old 09-14-2003, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a 7.5 that did'nt whine a little,first I would call Ripleys,then the Smithsonian,to tell them I've got something they just gota see.

Quick Reply: Is this normal gear whine after 4.10 install?