Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion seal screw up !?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pinion seal screw up !?!

I had my pinion seal replaced at the dealer under warranty yesterday and after thy were down it howled under deaccellation!! They say that they did nothing to cause this new noise and they would have to wait untill Monday to tear it apart and see what is wrong with it. They think that it is a axle bearing. Aftre doing some research it seems to me that they either crushed the pinion bearing or there isn't enough preload on the bearings because they used the same crush sleeve (proably twice now since this is the second time I have had the seal replaced).. The other thought I have is that depending on how much fluid they had to add that ther isn't ehough additive. Anybody have any other ideas or thoughts on this?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: pinion seal screw up !?!

If the gears howl during deceleration only, it's possible that the pinion-bearing preload has loosened. Since they re-used the crush sleeve, this is the culprit. You can not re-use a crush sleeve once it's been crushed.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can reuse the crush sleeve when replacing a
pinioin seal but need to mark the nut to the pinion in order to retighten the nut in the exact same spot. More that likely they did not do this and your preload is off.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A crush sleeve, IMO, should always be replaced after it's been crushed. It simply can not hold the pre-load as it did before. It's like re-using TTY bolts, just don't do it. It's worth the extra $5 for a new crush sleeve to replace it with a new one, do it right the first time is my motto
Old 09-14-2003, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input! I feel pretty much it is my preload. Now how do I confront them on this? Should I let them continue there story and demand to see the bad bearins that they won't have or will not be axle bearings. Then tell them to come clean to keep my business and tell me the truth that the preload was messed up? My other idea is to call them and tell them to change the seal again and replace the crush sleave and do the job correct. That way they won't be inclined to tear up anything else!!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Either way you look at it, it was the tech's fualt
and they should replace the crush sleeve, pinion bearings, and check the other bearings. Also I have seen hundreds of pinion seals replaced at the GMC dealer that I work at and crush sleeves are never replaced as part of a pinion seal replacement unless a tech overtightens it and therefore the pinion bearing preload is too tight.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:30 PM
wrencher

Seen this a million times.
It is under warranty they should fix it no prob.
Stick to your guns!!
Old 09-15-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

There wasnt even any reason to remove the pinion to replace the seal. I've done it with the gear still in place. I do agree that its the bearing preload that is too low.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

There wasnt even any reason to remove the pinion to replace the seal. I've done it with the gear still in place. I do agree that its the bearing preload that is too low.
He didn't pull the pinion but you have to take the yoke off. As far as pinion crush collars and setting preload goes 1ST when i do a pinion seal i'll put the yoke back on and snug the bolt. Then i'll measure the preload after i get a # i'll tighten the pinion nut until i get 18-20 more inch pounds on my preload tool. Always put lock tight on a used pinion nut. 2ND IF i ever have to reuse a crush collar i put it in a vise sideways and crush it out a little this will give you some needed tension when reassembling. The tech at the dealer probably was just rushing and either over/under tightened it and let her go! GO BACK and ask how he reset your preload. I bet he won't know what to say