Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Vibration... need your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 06:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration... need your thoughts

Well it seems that the TA has developed a bit of vibration. it wasn't present when i got home last night, but when i took her to work this morning she had a terrible vibration under acceleration at just about all speeds. i am going to check my tire pressure just to clear that out. i have checked the lug nuts and they are all fine. the vibration doesn't seem to be there when clutched and motor reved. i hope it is something simple seeing as i am planning on taking her to the tnt at memphis saturday!!!!

Any ideas?

thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go have an alignment check and make sure everything suspension-wise is up to par before u take it on the trip
Old 02-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

ok will do. any other ideas if this doesn't fix the problem?
Old 02-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Banned

You said the vibration doesn't seem to be there when you push the clutch in...correct?? Is it completely gone or just less of a vibration, if it's completely gone I would say something with the clutch and/or foward of the clutch.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

maybe the motor mounts then. its hard to distinguish if it is completely gone or not because of the vibration of the motor. i will pop the hood tomorrow and give her some throttle to see if the motor is moving more then normal. the vibration is gone for sure when not on the gas and clutch engaged. i don't have any vibration in the steering wheel at all.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several years ago we had a Camaro SS at our shop that had a bad harmonic balancer, you could see that it was out of balance at idle. To make a long story short, the clutch assembly was out of balance which caused the balancer to go bad. Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

if you don't mind me asking what did you look at while idling to tell it was out of balance?

my motor doesn't seem to have a shake to it while idle or when given throttle in neutral. this does make it seem like more of a clutch/trans related issue. i noticed that while picking up speed going down hill, off throttle that it does not have the vibration either. it is strictly while i am giving it gas in gear. also now that i have driven it more it seems to be the most noticable in 6th, a little less in 5th, and no where near as noticable in 1-4th. this too makes me think it is trans related.

Thanks for everyones help thus far!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammbone
if you don't mind me asking what did you look at while idling to tell it was out of balance?

my motor doesn't seem to have a shake to it while idle or when given throttle in neutral. this does make it seem like more of a clutch/trans related issue. i noticed that while picking up speed going down hill, off throttle that it does not have the vibration either. it is strictly while i am giving it gas in gear. also now that i have driven it more it seems to be the most noticable in 6th, a little less in 5th, and no where near as noticable in 1-4th. this too makes me think it is trans related.

Thanks for everyones help thus far!

We were looking directly at the balancer. Bob
Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Do you happen to have a prothane transmission mount? This wont cause your vibration but will deffinently amplify it 10X more than a oem rubber mount will...
Old 02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

check the driveshaft, had a link break on a jeep and it did the same thing, only during acceleration because the rear end was twisting and changing the pinion angle and it was binding.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Do you happen to have a prothane transmission mount? This wont cause your vibration but will deffinently amplify it 10X more than a oem rubber mount will...
no, but am about to put one on. a buddy of mine think that it may be the transmission mount itself gone bad. i needed to upgrade anyway so i am going to see if that fixes her.

Originally Posted by LS1CMR
check the driveshaft, had a link break on a jeep and it did the same thing, only during acceleration because the rear end was twisting and changing the pinion angle and it was binding.
i will check this while i am under her as well. how long do the U-joints last? i may go ahead and replace those while i am installing my DSL.

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
We were looking directly at the balancer. Bob
thank you sir, i will have a looks.

Again thanks to everyone who has helped thus far! i will keep you posted on what it ends up being.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:45 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Hammbone;11067029]no, but am about to put one on. a buddy of mine think that it may be the transmission mount itself gone bad. i needed to upgrade anyway so i am going to see if that fixes her.[QUOTE]

Okay but just warning ya If its something else causing the vibration, as soon as you put a poly mount in its gonna feel way worse inside the car! True story happened to me Fwiw I hear the e.s. mount without the load plate is more forgiving than the prothane mount, though I only have experience with the prothane and for me it sucked! haha Good luck with figuring it out, I know what its like...
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 01ws666
Originally Posted by Hammbone
no, but am about to put one on. a buddy of mine think that it may be the transmission mount itself gone bad. i needed to upgrade anyway so i am going to see if that fixes her.
Okay but just warning ya If its something else causing the vibration, as soon as you put a poly mount in its gonna feel way worse inside the car! True story happened to me Fwiw I hear the e.s. mount without the load plate is more forgiving than the prothane mount, though I only have experience with the prothane and for me it sucked! haha Good luck with figuring it out, I know what its like...

thanks bro. i am going to look over her really well once i get her on the rack. if i don't notice anything out of wack i may try it to see if it fixes it. if it doesn't i will probably swap them back out so it isn't unbarable. i hate it when problems are obvious fixes. part of the game i guess...

what exactly does the load plate help with? i know it acts to preload but how does this help and is it actually beneficial. everyone i have talked to seems to leave the load plate off.