Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9 inch = Headache

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87Lt1Monte
To the OP please grow up... I understand u got a loud rearend and all, its going to happen.. fact of the Aftermarket world, my family has gone through 5 moser rearends and the noise level's were more than acceptable .. If you want it to be perfect.. do it yourself. I purchased my Fab9 through bob @ EPP recently and had a center section from moser already.. hardly any whine.
Next time you go out to eat, may you get lots of sand in your food, then accept the restaraunts advice to stay home and make your own meal! that really doesnt make sense does it? and neither do you!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Regular

haha .. If you want it to be perfect to your standard you may have to do it yourself .. perfect to mosers standard is another story.. like i said AFTERMARKET .. nothing is perfect.. but your right, i make no sense!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

My moser 9inch motive gears howls on the highway and whines around town..I hate the damn thing I wish I had put a 10 bolt in..been to the track maybe twice and its been whining from day one a year ago
Old 03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 108dragon
You would think that a company as large as Moser wouldn't have a problem making things right at company expense. After all, this isn't a cheap Chinese made piece of junk. It should live up to every expectation of it. A guy shouldn't have to pay what he does to get a quality part and then plan on having to pay again to rework it to so that it does what it was supposed to to begin with. Does this make any sense to anyone else here?
In the business world, in this economy, and media driven society, one customer not taken care of can completely ruin an otherwise untarnished business reputation.
I agree completley! i am seeing a pattern here, most people just live with the added noise i have(Headache) of the moser 9 inch , i will get it fixed but it will be at my cost, i dont trust moser ,i gave them a chance to make it right 2 times. still not right, i dont think i am expecting to much when you shell out over $3000 , again at 5 mph you here it whine , am i really asking to much? NO! i am not. for those that are just reading for the first time moser also shortchanged me on the return shipping to boot! it happened to me, dont think it wont happen to you if you decide to buy one.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
I agree completley! i am seeing a pattern here, most people just live with the added noise i have(Headache) of the moser 9 inch , i will get it fixed but it will be at my cost, i dont trust moser ,i gave them a chance to make it right 2 times. still not right, i dont think i am expecting to much when you shell out over $3000 , again at 5 mph you here it whine , am i really asking to much? NO! i am not. for those that are just reading for the first time moser also shortchanged me on the return shipping to boot! it happened to me, dont think it wont happen to you if you decide to buy one.
Like I said, your issue should be more toward customer service for an expensive item purchase that did not do what it was purchased to do rather than PPH (problems per hundred, as JD Associates would put it). Companies ALWAYS have production and design flaw issues. The way some of these companies handle these problems and the situations with thier customers is what sets them apart from the others. From that standpoint, you have every right to be pissed. The analogy with the restaurant, food and sand was funny... but true.
I've never purchased anything from Bob at EPP. But he as ALWAYS been cool enough to spend time on the phone with me picking his head about what would work with what. I've GOT to give props to a professional that would go out of his way for a guy who isn't even a customer yet.
If you wanted to do Moser some media damage with this thread; mission successful. And they probably earned it for not taking care of thier flawed product and unhappy customer. Harsh? yeah.. a bit. But it is what it is.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:44 PM
On The Tree

Just to add a little fuel to this fire:

I just installed a used Moser 9 inch into my Firebird. I purchased it used off of eBay. This rear end came out of a wrecked Camaro from a junk yard (car was hit in the front end).

I then bought the adjustable torque arm (Moser also, I believe).

The rear end is living up to this post - makes a ton of noise and I have a vibration I can not get rid of - regardless of how I set the pinon angle.

I even pulled the center section out (in part, to fix a leak from the seal) and checked the backlash and pattern to see if it was set correctly - the gears were a little loose and I took 2 thousandths of play out of them and set at 10 thousandths - the pattern actually looked really good - set the pinon angle at -2.

Put it all back together and test drove - still tons of noise - especially on the coast side.

I miss the 10 bolt that was in my car.

I guess this diff is living up to this post and the rumors of Moser rear ends.

I am wondering what I can do to fix........maybe track down some OEM 3:73 gears and put them in? Replace the center section with another brand? The problem has to be in the gears or center section, right? How could the axle or the housing be causing these issues with so many people?

Last edited by real82it; 03-22-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Like I said, your issue should be more toward customer service for an expensive item purchase that did not do what it was purchased to do rather than PPH (problems per hundred, as JD Associates would put it). Companies ALWAYS have production and design flaw issues. The way some of these companies handle these problems and the situations with thier customers is what sets them apart from the others. From that standpoint, you have every right to be pissed. The analogy with the restaurant, food and sand was funny... but true.
I've never purchased anything from Bob at EPP. But he as ALWAYS been cool enough to spend time on the phone with me picking his head about what would work with what. I've GOT to give props to a professional that would go out of his way for a guy who isn't even a customer yet.
If you wanted to do Moser some media damage with this thread; mission successful. And they probably earned it for not taking care of thier flawed product and unhappy customer. Harsh? yeah.. a bit. But it is what it is.
Bob @EPP is a nice guy as i stated in my first post, he knows the problems i am having, and kicked in an extra $20 for moser for the shortchanging they did to me,again moser paid back only$80 for the shipping and i paid $111 to send it, i was told that thats all they will pay back even know i paid more. this is dishonest and actually shameful if you ask me! i asked Bob what the return policy was for the rear because of the noise it makes at 5 mph and giving moser 2 chances to make it right. he told me that he doesnt think Moser will accept a return, but would check, that was on 2-6-09 as you can see i was not fast to tell my story on what happened i left ample time for a reply on the return,or the rest of my shipping money. but no reply from Bob or moser on the return. so i feel i gave ample time for them to fix the issue before the post i made, i really dont like being ripped off can you tell?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would think you could likely get some factory gears and try those.Would; expect them to be quiet. I have heard good things about yukon gears being quiet as well. I have been kicking between a 9 inch and dana 60. Think going with dana 60 and hope its quiet. If not then will try yukon or factory gears. I have noisy motive gears in the past but they were dead quiet in my 97 ta then super noisy when reistalled in my 99 ta. I had them yanked out . Not sure why the difference ,Professionally installed both times. Had terrible luck with richmonds too.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
I would think you could likely get some factory gears and try those.Would; expect them to be quiet. I have heard good things about yukon gears being quiet as well. I have been kicking between a 9 inch and dana 60. Think going with dana 60 and hope its quiet. If not then will try yukon or factory gears. I have noisy motive gears in the past but they were dead quiet in my 97 ta then super noisy when reistalled in my 99 ta. I had them yanked out . Not sure why the difference ,Professionally installed both times. Had terrible luck with richmonds too.
Probably just chock it up to "act of God"...hahaha Doesn't sound like anyone has figured out what causes the gear whine in a particular install... not even Moser.
I just trashed my 10 bolt in a street drag. So I'm in the market for another rear setup too. What are the pluses and minuses with the Dana60 in an Fbody? Isn't that the heavy *** Mopar rear end? I think the Vettes ran the Dana44 for a while didn't they?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Dana 60 is fairly heavy for sure. Don't matter to me have more power than can hook up anyway so a few more pounds might give me some extra traction. It has the biggest ring gears of all the rear ends. 35 spline axles in base form. It can work with abs. Its bolt in .Strange not moser makes it. Seen some noisy ones also and some quiet. Gear setup can be tricky. Race type gears can be noisy. As said I will likely go to Yukon or stock gear if have problems with noise.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Yukon is a great gear especially for the 10 bolt if you get the AAM 2 cut's AKA same as OEM. Got ask to make sure.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Quote:

Bob @EPP is a nice guy as i stated in my first post, he knows the problems i am having, and kicked in an extra $20 for moser for the shortchanging they did to me,again moser paid back only$80 for the shipping and i paid $111 to send it, i was told that thats all they will pay back even know i paid more. this is dishonest and actually shameful if you ask me! i asked Bob what the return policy was for the rear because of the noise it makes at 5 mph and giving moser 2 chances to make it right. he told me that he doesnt think Moser will accept a return, but would check, that was on 2-6-09 as you can see i was not fast to tell my story on what happened i left ample time for a reply on the return,or the rest of my shipping money. but no reply from Bob or moser on the return. so i feel i gave ample time for them to fix the issue before the post i made, i really dont like being ripped off can you tell?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

I also bought a 9in from Bob. Great customer service from him I might add. My 9in whines like a son of b**** regardless of speed. Never tried to go through moser or Bob to fix it. I just live with it. I have also had problems with the rear brakes clicking, think I might have gotten that one fixed with a new driver side axle. The flange looks to be machined untrue. If I had to do over I would have gone with a strange 12bolt. A 9in does sound cooler when you tell people though.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about replacing the pinion seal. Can I just pull the yoke off and pry the seal out or do I need to disassemble some stuff. Thanks.

Eric
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
Thanks, I thought I told you that Moser would not accept the rear back, I'm sorry it I didn't get back to you but I thought I did.
A lot of companies do not pay for shipping back on warranty items, I know most transmission companies don't cover the customer's expense on shipping defective transmissions back.

You did what you set out to do, I haven't sold a single Moser rear end since you started this thread. I do have a lot of satisfied customers, four or five have posted in this thread, which is pretty good because usually only unhappy people post. There is no reason for a satisfied customer to be back in this section of Tech.

Here is part of a quote from SSvert99. Bob

Originally Posted by ssvert99

we setup tons of gears here, not just the 9 inch f-body rearends. rest assured that the gearset is setup to the best it can be when it leaves the shop. i leave the gear marking compound on the gearset for the customer to inspect if need be. unfortunately, there is no way for us(or anybody) to tell if a gear is gonna make noise until it is in the car. the 9 inch is easy to adjust the pinion shims if someone would desire to take the time to do so, in an effort to possibly make a fine tune if there would be some noise that would be considered excessive.

none of the gear manufacturers warranty gears for noise. an aftermarket ring and pinion set is considered to be a "performance related product and noise is to be expected". "most of the warrantied gears we see back are from improper break-in procedure". - quotes directly from a tech at one of the most popular manufacturers.

Last edited by Exotic Performance Plus; 03-23-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Ok, update......pattern on the old gears looked ok. I had a whine on the coast side from 25mph and up. Finally got so bad I could hear it over my radio and with the t-tops out. All the bearings looked fine. Got it back and the pattern looks good on the new gears. I pretty much sat and watched him through the most of the setup process. I am going to put it back in the car in the next few days. I know you use non synthetic fluid and the paperwork I got said to use 85-90w. Any thoughts on the fluid type?
Old 03-25-2009, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

I have a Moser 9", Strange center, Motive gears, Trutrac Diff.... the rear end originally had 3.90s installed by the builder (US gear I think)... Driveline Solutions. It was loud as HELL... annoying to say the least.

I had Motive gears installed by Jeff @ Jaws Gear and while there is a sliiiiiiiiiiiiight whine on the freeway it is 100xs better then before... this was even after a few wheels up launches (T56 here) at the track. I recommend a build with Motives from Jaws.

Quick Reply: Moser 9 inch = Headache