Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Junkyard Axle Project?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Junkyard Axle Project?

Well i'm thinking of working on a new axle for my SS as a summer project. I'm good friends with a guy who owns a junkyard, and was thinking about scavenging for a descent 12 bolt or ford 9" off of something wrecked (front damage of course), stripping it, rebuilding it, shortening it a few inches for future new deep dish wheel awesomeness, Powdercoat it, and stuffing it under the camaro. Possibly just run an adapter spacer with my stock wheels until that time comes. I really don't care if i don't get to keep ABS, though it would be nice, i'd like to keep traction control, but its not a necessity. Anybody go this route? I'm really just looking for a fun project i can learn on, and cant afford a nice Strange or Moser on a college kid's salary. I have a really good friend who's also a certified welder, who would do any welding for free, or maybe a case of beer lol. Anybody have any tips or suggestions? Anybody go this route? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

If you have the ambition, access ta parts and a friend that welds, I say go for it. I'm going the same route. I'm a fabricator and just want ta do my rear myself. You may want ta try an 8.8 rear. The're cheap, strong, and lots of parts are available. Good luck
Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Banned

What about the torque arm mount.
You'll lose in the end, trust me.

I see posts like this all the time, people have junkyard buddies and get free rears, and they also have machinist friends, welder friends, they have it covered. Except for the fact that no one welds a steel TA mount onto cast iron properly for a case of beer.
Do yourself a favor and forget this idea.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

The 8.8 is cast steel, not iron like the old 12 bolts. If your a good welder it can be done. The route i'm going is making a mount that bolts into the hloes on the side of the carrier and welding a brace to the trq. arm mount that will bolt to a bracket on the axle tube. There is a guy on here that has built one like this and it worked great. You'll lose less rwhp with the 8.8. The 9 inch is the easiest rear ta fab up for our cars though. The housing is just steel. So, you can fab up a rear, but it's not easy. You'll learn a lot though.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
What about the torque arm mount.
You'll lose in the end, trust me.

I see posts like this all the time, people have junkyard buddies and get free rears, and they also have machinist friends, welder friends, they have it covered. Except for the fact that no one welds a steel TA mount onto cast iron properly for a case of beer.
Do yourself a favor and forget this idea.
You know i searched for about an hour and didn't find anything. And you'd be suprised... He's a good friend of mine, and he's rolling in over 100g's a year for his new welding job... Its not like i'm going to throw it at him and say i need it done now.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Banned

I'll search starting now, and come edit this post.

EDIT:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ord-8-8-a.html
REad the one guys 8.8 build up here
Then read how he suddenly has a change of mind here.
A possible solution.
Another buddy helping with a fabbed junkyard 9"

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-04-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
I'll search starting now, and come edit this post.

EDIT:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...ord-8-8-a.html
REad the one guys 8.8 build up here
Then read how he suddenly has a change of mind here.
A possible solution.
Another buddy helping with a fabbed junkyard 9"
Gee ok well thanks didn't see any of those before... This is just an idea i thought would be fun to do over the summer. Guess not...
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

If I was going to tackle a project like yours i'd find a junk 10 bolt, use a 9" rear, grind the brackets off the tubes so you have something to fab the bracketry to look like, and fab torque arm mount like I've seen on other housings. Just make sure your tubes are the right size. Also use a good jig and a perfectly flat steel table.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Gordo78
Gee ok well thanks didn't see any of those before... This is just an idea i thought would be fun to do over the summer. Guess not...
I've seen more than those. It kind of gets old when everyone has a junkyard connection, everyone has a welder/fabricator.

NO ONE realizes they need a TA provision.
And it's nothing against you, it's the complaint everyone has. We'd all have misc junkyard rears if it wasn't for the damn TA mount.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I knew about a TA mount, i just wasn't sure if it was possible to do very easily, and i'm just wanting a learning project for this summer. I have a Winter beater, and i've worked on engines before, so maybe its time to look into a cam swap thanks for your help