Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9in and stock torque arm

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9in and stock torque arm

I was wondering if you can still use your stock torque arm and lca's on a moser 9in. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you can.

At first I had a problem installing mine, the end would not go over the mount and the holes would not line up.

If you have this problem, loosen the torque arm clamshell on the transmission. It will help to make adjustments if you arm needs to go forwards or backwards.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Launching!

You can, but why would you? The LCA's will help with wheel hop, along with some relocation brackets.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 84ls1_transam
You can, but why would you? The LCA's will help with wheel hop, along with some relocation brackets.

Questions like this come up a lot. I made the same post as this guy not too long ago.

Obviously the main reason to reuse stock parts would be $$$$. And I'm sure the original poster knows that aftermarket would be better.

But, this isn't Burger King, we can't always have it our way.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58

Check out the above link as to what can happen to a factory torque arm. The above car was owned by a 50 some yr old guy who had never taken it to a dragstrip. Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...php?service=58

The above car was owned by a 50 some yr old guy who had never taken it to a dragstrip.
Due to his heart condition, but he loved watching his son race it.

Why did he get the axle tubes welded up and some other mods just to drive it like an 80 year old?
THATS WEIRD, almost sounds like BS but thats JMHO.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

I hate it when people list an age like that...

That might be offensive to some of the older drivers on here, assuming they drive slow because they are 50+ ? lol
Old 03-11-2009, 06:31 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
Due to his heart condition, but he loved watching his son race it.

Why did he get the axle tubes welded up and some other mods just to drive it like an 80 year old?
THATS WEIRD, almost sounds like BS but thats JMHO.
No, his son never drove the car. It has a Moser 12 bolt in it. He made a lot of road trips from Ft Wayne to Detroit, I'm not sure why and I didn't ask questions. Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jetlag
I hate it when people list an age like that...

That might be offensive to some of the older drivers on here, assuming they drive slow because they are 50+ ? lol
Maybe, but I don't care. I turned 50 myself yesterday... lol Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, I'm still on stock rear and T/A, but I'm looking to upgrade, I'm not sure if I wanna go 9" or M9 or fabbed M9 clone.

I've been trying to learn what I can the past few days and I got the impression an adjustable T/A was needed to help set the pinion angle correctly.

If you reuse the stock T/A on the 9" - its not adjustable (is it?), how do you go about setting the correct angle? Do you use adjustable LCA's to accomplish this?

I've already got adjustable LCA's, I figured with the M9 comming with the T/A and tranny cross brace all I'd need extra was an adjustable PHB?

Am I missing something here???
Thx..
Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Weezzer
Ok, I'm still on stock rear and T/A, but I'm looking to upgrade, I'm not sure if I wanna go 9" or M9 or fabbed M9 clone.

I've been trying to learn what I can the past few days and I got the impression an adjustable T/A was needed to help set the pinion angle correctly.

If you use the stock T/A, its not adjustable (is it?), how do you go about setting the correct angle? Do you use adjustable LCA's?

I've already got adjustable LCA's, I figured with the M9 comming with the T/A and tranny cross brace all I'd need extra was an adjustable PHB?

Am I missing something here???
Thx..
Correct, the factory torque arm is not adjustable, and I wouldn't try using adjustable lower control arms to adjust pinion angle. The M9 does come with an fully adjustable torque arm, so all you would need would indeed be an adjustable panhard bar and you would be able to adjust in all different directions. Bob
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The 9" can use the factory LCA and torque arm.A few of our very high hp F-body's still run the factory torque arm with no problems launching at 6k rpm/front wheels in the air.

I see alot of factory torque arm failures on Moser 12bolts due to the bolts backing out and the arm ripping off the bolts -from being loose.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
No, his son never drove the car. It has a Moser 12 bolt in it. He made a lot of road trips from Ft Wayne to Detroit, I'm not sure why and I didn't ask questions. Bob
I don't believe torque did that. It looks like the top bolts fell out. I can see that happening during normal driving if the bolts fell out.

So when you got that car in the shop, were the top bolts in it?
Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Launching!

thanks for all the info guys.