Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

alum. driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alum. driveshaft

i was just wonderin if going to an alum. driveshaft would net me any gains or help my gears. I am still stock steel driveshaft but i have 373 gears
Old 09-26-2003, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: alum. driveshaft

I hope you do not have a STOCK steel driveshaft because I am 99% sure they came stock with an aluminum. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Non-WS6 automatics came with a steel driveshaft.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Right, only SS and WS6 come with aluminum drive shafts. There's a big difference between Z28 and SS, Trans am and WS6. Thats why it was a $3200 option for my WS6.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right, only SS and WS6 come with aluminum drive shafts. There's a big difference between Z28 and SS, Trans am and WS6. Thats why it was a $3200 option for my WS6.
Well....the WS6 cars are heavier.

You are incorrect. I just removed the aluminum D/S from my 2002 Z-28, 16" wheels and all. If the car is a 2.73 geared A4, it is steel, if it is an M6 (or an A4 with the performance axle), it's aluminum....the WS6 cars are not "that" special....(just alot more expensive).

And, actually, the only difference is some exhaust, some suspension parts, and a few toys. The exhaust and suspension can be fixed in an afternoon (ask me how I know?).
Old 09-26-2003, 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

And, actually, the only difference is some exhaust, some suspension parts, and a few toys. The exhaust and suspension can be fixed in an afternoon (ask me how I know?).
No kidding - stuff that most of us get rid of in a matter of months anyway. The only things left of my "superior" SS package are the wing and hood (oh and some emblems of course)
Old 09-26-2003, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gear ratio = different shaft eh? Well ya learn something new every day. As far as the Pontiacs go, I bought the Trans Am and then traded it in for a WS6. Two completely different cars. More power better handling. Like night and day. A lot more to it than exhaust and hood scoops.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gear ratio = different shaft eh?
Yup. I figured it would cost GM less to only stock one driveshaft than to deal with both, but I guess the V6 cars probably got the same steel shaft.

I bought the Trans Am and then traded it in for a WS6. Two completely different cars. More power better handling.
I admit that the WS6 package handles more aggressively (Stock, my Z-28 rode more like a Cadilliac than a grand touring car, it was awful). But, I, and many of us, have removed every single part that is upgraded on that car. For those that are content with the handling of a stock WS6 and are not planning to change it, it is a great way to go. Since I was going to remove all of that stuff anyway (for upgraded handling), I didn't see any reason to buy the more expensive parts and "throw them away" (personal preference).

As for the horsepower. I don't think the WS6/Ram Air cars are exactly "setting dynos on fire" compared to the stock T/A or Formula (when there was a Formula). I'm not saying that there is not a few HP difference. But it is generally accepted that the "ram air" seems to contribute exactly "0" HP, ok, maybe 5hp (though, I can accept that "cold air" is a good thing, most of the gains seem to be from the exhaust). Many guys are using hood block off plates and using a ram air kit that installs under the car.

Like night and day. A lot more to it than exhaust and hood scoops.
Don't misunderstand me. I like the ram air cars. I briefly considered an SS, but I didn't like the "boy racer" hood and wing. That left the suspension, that was coming off anyway, and an exhaust kit, which cost much less to upgrade than $3200. I'm not picking on you, but your original answer sounded a little "snobbish" ("What, you only have a mere Trans Am....I'm so sorry...") and the real deal is that they are still the same car, motor, body, interior, size, shape, HP (or very nearly so), they simply have a few parts bolted on from the factory (I like the 17" wheels). As long as you enjoy driving it, that is all that matters. I will clarify this by mentioning that I subscribe to the "track mentality", meaning, that if it dosen't directly contribute to going faster, handling better or stopping better, I really can't see adding it, it is just extra weight (hoods, wings, etc). I'm real happy to look like a V6 car....

Not everyone feels the same way I do, and I didn't come here to argue about it. I just wanted to clarify what it took to have a stock aluminum driveshaft and what some of the "packages" are and are not....

As always....Just my thoughts....

Happy corner carving.
Old 09-27-2003, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

so will i see any direct gains from going to an aluminum driveshaft, to clear things up i dont have the preformance option that includes an aluminum driveshaft and 323 gears but i had my gears changed to 3.73 and im wonderin if an alum. driveshaft would get me any gains
Old 09-27-2003, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

trackbird, well said. I did'nt mean to sound snobbish. Yes we do different things with our cars. I bought mine new and it's a daily driver. I have a Borla and played with the programming a bit and thats about it for me. I'm looking at the new C6 now and will probably trade this one in so I don't want to change much. Sounds like you know your stuff, thanks for the info.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

so will i see any direct gains from going to an aluminum driveshaft,
You will see a couple HP from a reduction in rotating weight. You will likely notice a reduction in driveline vibration. I would usually suggest using an aluminum drive shaft, it can't hurt.
Old 10-17-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

isn't there a carbon fiber driveshaft available?
Old 10-17-2003, 04:11 AM
TECH Resident

isn't there a carbon fiber driveshaft available?
There is, but do you think that going that extreme is the right thing to do. I do not think it would be worth the money for a minimal gain. Alot of high horsepower guys switch back to solid steel for strength anyway.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:16 AM
8 second mod

There is more to it then this.
Auto with 2.73's=steel
m6 with 235 tires =steel
Auto with3.23's and m6with 245 tires=Alum
My car was M6 with chicken tires and 3.42's and it was a steel shaft so I looked into it. Car was also govered @ 115mph with those tires!
Lets just say, that didnt last long!!
Old 10-17-2003, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

why do people with regular trans am's and z28's always try to bring down people with ws6's and SS's? I think everyone here can say, that they have read that same statement a thousand times on here"it's the same car,just badges and exhaust, that I was gonna change anyway."
I'm not being a smartass, I really want an honest answer, any idea's?
Old 10-17-2003, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have a Z28 with sport appearance package and I still think the WS6 is better looking than my car. SS's are sweet too, I just prefer gfx on Camaros.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:04 PM
8 second mod

I never compare my Z to an SS. But realy that is about all it is, I like the SS if I wasnt going to Mod it, But cant justifie the extra 10k for it.
Sniper---- Im with you, I love the stock ground fx on the Z28's, they look great!!
Old 10-18-2003, 01:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

why do people with regular trans am's and z28's always try to bring down people with ws6's and SS's? I think everyone here can say, that they have read that same statement a thousand times on here"it's the same car,just badges and exhaust, that I was gonna change anyway."
I'm not being a smartass, I really want an honest answer, any idea's?
I don't understand why that statement is so confusing? A Firebird is a Camaro with a "body kit", same car (mechanically speaking). The SS and WS6 are Camaros and Firebirds with some upgrades, suspension parts and a body kit.

I'm not trying to "bring anyone down". They are nice cars (I think I already said that). I was just making reference to the tone of the post (like it is an "elite" club). I believe that the person who posted it reread it and understood my point. It is not that I am a "WS6 hater" or anything, but I did throw away every upgraded part on that car (suspension wise) and I'm not a fan of add on scoops, spoilers and such (personal preference). I've seen several WS6 cars that I'd have easily been happy to call my own. I guess the real answer to your question is:

"it's the same car,just badges and exhaust, that I was gonna change anyway."

(as they say....you asked...)

I wanted to order a 1LE car, but had to buy a Camaro SS to get it. So, I didn't bother. There was a time when the 1LE didn't have air conditioning. Now, it has to be fully loaded with an SS package and then the 1le package, making it the heaviest F-body known to man (this is what I found in the dealer listings when trying to order one), instead of the lightest.

So far, I've changed:

Shocks, (Koni DA's $1400)
Springs, (H&R Stage 2, $200)
Sway bars, (Suspension Techniques set, $250)
LCA's (had BMR for $200, tossed them and built my own for another $200 or so)
PHB (had a BMR for $150, tossed that and built my own for another $150-ish)
brake pads, (Carbotech's @ $150 for fronts, $120 for rear)
rotors, (brembo oem and bendix replacement, $125 and $110 a set)
added SFC's
added a STB
a "lid"
and several others. (I've nearly spent my "$3500" and I bought parts to do what I wanted to do, there are other mods, but these were relevant to this discussion).

I'm looking at 17" rims (for the wider tires and extra grip) and I've not decided on an exhaust kit as of yet. Basically, I couldn't see a reason to buy an SS for myself. I was going to pay $3500 for some wheels, a hood and spoiler (that I didn't want) and an exhaust. For $3500, I can buy a nice set of wheels and have cash left for exhaust work. This is not to take anything away from the SS/WS6 crowd, they are nice cars. It's just that they are not perfect for everyone.

As I said, I wasn't trying to downgrade the car, I was simply taking issue with the perceived tone of the response.

why do people with regular trans am's and z28's always try to bring down people with ws6's and SS's?
Even you refer to them as "regular" as opposed to saying:

"why do people with trans am's and z28's always try to bring down people with ws6's and SS's?"

I think everyone would have understood your point. Apparently, you like the WS6/SS cars and feel that they are "special". If you have one, I hope you enjoy it, it's a nice car.

I guess I could ask:

why do people with ws6's and SS's always feel like they are better than people with regular Z28's and Trans Am's?
If I personally don't want the add on styling, and I've removed all the other parts, and I'm not buying it as an investment, why should I buy a WS6? You seem to think that "regular car owners" are bitter (or couldn't afford one???), I just didn't want it. Sell me on your side of the story (I think your only remaining arguement is that you think they are "cool"...it is a nice thought, but a poor arguement). If everybody liked the same thing, we'd only have one F-body (Camaro or Firebird, or Trans Am or Formula), but GM found that people like their cars in different flavors.

Now, I'm the one looking for an honest answer......(this is starting to sound like the old Camaro/Mustang debate...some people like different things, and if it works for you, drive it.)
Old 10-18-2003, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Not to get off the subject, but I am...

Assuming you like the aggressive styling (which I do!) for the $3000 WS6 premium you get:
A ram air hood, 17 inch wheels, not to sure if the suspension is really different, and emblems. The wheels and hood alone will cost you $3000 if you were to do it yourself once you got the car...

I think the Ram Air hp gains are truely difficult to calculate on a dyno. When I am going 120mph, there is no doubt that their is some kind of positive charge to the airflow going into my intake. Maybe it is minor, but it is there... The WS6 Ram Air is probably more effective than the SS because it is a truely a straight (and short) path to the intake...

Anyway, there is no doubt than ANY LS1 F-body with a minor mods will be faster than ANY stock LS1 F-body.

Anyways, I have an aluminum driveshaft stock (There I kept with the subject!)

Tommy
Old 10-18-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I calculated the effects of Ram Air once (I don't know if I can remember/find the formulas) and it appears to make about 1 psi at 200 mph (based on a slightly larger intake opening than the WS6/SS cars have). But the cold air will help more than the pressure. I did these calculations for a top speed (Silver State Challenge) project that I was working on and have since sold.