Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

QP 9" Rant

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I think I know why its making noise. Not too sure what center section you bought but theres comes with a solid pinion spacer. Thats the problem. I just had my rear rebuilt and used a solid pinion spacer. Well the problem is that the if the carrier bearing isnt seated all the way then once it does seat with some heat cycles you loose your preload. The regular crush sleeve can expand a little to take up the slack. I ended up ruining a set of gears and had to have it rebuilt again. Hard lesson learned there. I will never use a solid pinion spacer again.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vettett15
I believe they are making their own case now.

http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=5169

I was assured that it was good for 500+ wheel

Although it isn't through bolt design, we'll see.
It looks like, much like Curry, Yukon is having Strange manufacture their case.

http://www.quickperformance.com/Prod...20sections.htm
Old 05-15-2009, 11:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Justins00ss
Well I think I know why its making noise. Not too sure what center section you bought but theres comes with a solid pinion spacer. Thats the problem. I just had my rear rebuilt and used a solid pinion spacer. Well the problem is that the if the carrier bearing isnt seated all the way then once it does seat with some heat cycles you loose your preload. The regular crush sleeve can expand a little to take up the slack. I ended up ruining a set of gears and had to have it rebuilt again. Hard lesson learned there. I will never use a solid pinion spacer again.
I think the lesson learned should be to make sure your races are seated all the way before setting up your pinion. The solid pinion spacer had nothing to do with you ruining your gears.

FWIW, it's a good idea to use a feeler gauge under the races to make sure they fully seat.

Mike
Old 05-17-2009, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i think i'm going to get a new set of gears, pull the third member and let someone else set it up. It has less than 500 miles on it, I assume the bearings are fine. BTW I noticed today that the rear is shifted about an inch to the left, WTF, so i'm going to have to get an adjustable panhard bar.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

i have a QP rear and strange center that i bought from QP also.. mine fit fine, didnt have to mod nothing! i love it, paid 2400 shipped for the houseing, strange center with the tru-trac, moser axles, longer studs, and every other nut and bolt i needed! cant complain one bit!!
Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I hate you....
Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

I have a QP rear and I had most of the same issues:

1 Missing hardware.
2 Torques arm bracket had to be cut to get the Spohn torque arm on.
3 I had to grind down both ends of my panhard bar because the space was too small.
4 I had to put the e-brake brackets on with an air hammer.
5 I felt grinding down the allen head bolts was sloppy for the caliper mounting plates, t-bolts is the proper way to go but I guess their to cheap.
6 The prep to paint it was i real pain. There was still mig wire on the inside and I had to grind a **** load of spatter. A bit of anti-spatter spray would have saved me 2 hours of paint prep. The torque arm bracket was the real pain in the ***. Also the bolts for the torque arm bracket that bolts it to the rear end have no shoulder, so you have threads in contact with a heim joint and it likes to bind on you.

They may be five minute jobs but I was using a friends business lift and having to wait two days for bolts to get in and other small **** I had to go home and get a tool for was a real pita.

If is definitely not bolt in. If I were to do it againI would buy a strange all done and pay the extra few bucks.

Quick Reply: QP 9" Rant