Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Replacing rearend fluid-Couple Q's.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rearend fluid-Couple Q's.

I'm looking at replacing the fluid in the rearend so I have a few questions.

1.What fluid does GM recommend I put in the rear? Part#?
2.What LSD additive do I need to put in there? I know GM has one. Part#?
3.Do I need to replace the gasket? Part#?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

what kind of posi do you have? if you have an auburn, then you need the gm limited slip additive. just go to your chevy dealer and they should have it in stock for about $14. I put mobil 1 75/90 in mine, 2 quarts will do it. for the gasket go to autozone and pick one up, they can look it up for you. should only cost $4. also, pick up some black rtv and you will be good to go..
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hlaalu
what kind of posi do you have? if you have an auburn, then you need the gm limited slip additive. just go to your chevy dealer and they should have it in stock for about $14. I put mobil 1 75/90 in mine, 2 quarts will do it. for the gasket go to autozone and pick one up, they can look it up for you. should only cost $4. also, pick up some black rtv and you will be good to go..
Thanks for the response. It's a 99 so whatever came with the car stock. So there isn't a specific lsd additive for my diff, its all generic stuff? I just wanna make sure Im putting the proper fluid in there.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by Striker
Thanks for the response. It's a 99 so whatever came with the car stock. So there isn't a specific lsd additive for my diff, its all generic stuff? I just wanna make sure Im putting the proper fluid in there.
yes the additive works in all gm diffs, its not vehicle specific.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM
11 Second Club

I agree "if you have an auburn, then you need the gm limited slip additive" SLP suggest 2 oz additive= better grip but more noise, 4 oz = less grip, less noise.
you may like to use OE additive even if not an auburn

link on useing additive in non aubun http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm

I think if an auburn you should use reg gen 75-90 gear oil and no syn. as it will allow the clutch pack in an aubun to slip

Last edited by SS SLP2; 02-05-2010 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
I agree "if you have an auburn, then you need the gm limited slip additive" SLP suggest 2 oz additive= better grip but more noise, 4 oz = less grip, less noise.
you may like to use OE additive even if not an auburn

link on useing additive in non aubun http://www.torsen.com/general/general_faq.htm

I think if an auburn you should use reg gen 75-90 gear oil and no syn. as it will allow the clutch pack in an aubun to slip
Thank you sir, Ill make sure I throw in the additive. Now, for the actual fluid, should I just simply go with the GM gear oil?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

pick up 2 quarts of 75/90 from your local auto parts store.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just wanted to bring this thread back up from the thread to make sure im doing everything properly as I will be going out shopping for all the fluids that are gonna get changed this year.

1.I have a 99 WS6, does anyone have a link or a GM part number to the LSD additive I need to put in?

2.How much of this LSD additive should I put in?

3. Part number for the gear oil itself *unless you guys know of something that's much better than the OEM gear oil?*

4.How much does the rear end take?

Thanks.