Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rearend Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearend Question

I have a full spool rear end(Mods in sig), But unfortunately I am not really a big drag racing enthusiast. I can respect drag racing, and I do partake in it once and a while but my passion is Road Racing. I like curves, hills and dips that being said my full spool is starting to annoy the living hell out of me. I have a stock rear end and gears out of a 1995 V6 Bird. I would like to keep the 4:10 gears but be able to make a turn with out tire scrub. What are some options I might have besides dropping money on a new rear end?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Wait so you're taling about replacing the 12 bolt with a stock rear? Why? Just take out the spool and replace it with a trutrack or something else
Old 03-24-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Wait so you're taling about replacing the 12 bolt with a stock rear? Why? Just take out the spool and replace it with a trutrack or something else

No, I do not want to go back to stock. I would like to be able to drive on the street with out ratcheting tire scrub every time I turn or turn while backing up. Just wondering what can be done.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

Ok well yeah just replace the spool with something else
Old 03-24-2010, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look into the wavetrack, its supposed to be bad *** for street and hold its own at the track. warranty is: you brake it and we replace it.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98hc4mula
look into the wavetrack, its supposed to be bad *** for street and hold its own at the track. warranty is: you brake it and we replace it.

I am looking for something designed for Canyon Carving Road Racing. Any good products out there?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

You want a Torsen differential. Instead of a positively 'locked' rear that breaks free around turns you want an 'unlocked' rear that applies traction when you need it. Much nicer when approaching a turn fast. Also won't 'push' nearly as hard.

Torsen will work well for what you are looking for. A WaveTrac will work well also, but I don't think they work with anything other than 35 spline axles.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by technical
You want a Torsen differential. Instead of a positively 'locked' rear that breaks free around turns you want an 'unlocked' rear that applies traction when you need it. Much nicer when approaching a turn fast. Also won't 'push' nearly as hard.

Torsen will work well for what you are looking for. A WaveTrac will work well also, but I don't think they work with anything other than 35 spline axles.
The Reply I received from Torsen

"Unfortunately, the largest differential we make is the one for Frankland, which also happens to be a 12 bolt unit that is specific to their quick change rearend.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen"
Old 04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't use just get a posi differential from Moser?
Old 04-13-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
The Reply I received from Torsen

"Unfortunately, the largest differential we make is the one for Frankland, which also happens to be a 12 bolt unit that is specific to their quick change rearend.

Thanks for the question and interest in Torsen"
That's odd, because I seem to remember them in the larger trucks and SUV's from the factory. E.g. Tahoe/Blazer/Suburban. Memory fail.

Quick Reply: Rearend Question