Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a rear end comparison on here..but, it doesn't have any MWC rears in it..

But, i would go MWC all the way.. it will handle any power you ever plan to make..
Old 06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
PM sent
Hey, I'm just wondering, what was the price of your s60?

You said it was cheaper than an equal built MWC or Moser 9", and just wondering what the price is... Thanks!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent too, lol.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

To the OP: Sorry, I’m gonna be another guy kinda hijacking your thread. There seems to be a lot of MWC Fab 9 users here and my question is for those who’ve installed and are using them.

I’m about to pull the trigger on getting this rear. In another (smaller) thread, there was mention of a guy who had some fitability and installation issues with their Mid West Fab 9 rear. For you guys already running it, any issues?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:53 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a ton of issues but I don't really want to get into it. It wasn't midwest chassis's fault but I'll just say I've got 50 + hours into dicking around with this rear. A lot of issues came up that no one on the internet seems to mention. I recommend you have him set the gears and case up. Double check your bolt pattern on your axles and god forbid you ever rip an axle seal or break a wheel stud. Have fun buying a new c-clip elminator kit everytime (bearings, wedding ring, spacer, seal). The housing itself is amazing but If you're not familar with setting up gears and pressing bearings on buy it complete. There are no instructions included and you can install things the wrong way pretty easily, especially if them ******** at strange send you extra parts that can screw you all up !!! The guys at MWC have amazing customer service, they have gone above and beyond in helping me get everything straightened out.

Tips:
1. Check to make sure bolt pattern on axles is right before installilng. Otherwise have fun pulling it all back apart and waiting for correct axles.

2. Do not install black spacers that go between the backing plate and housing end. Strange should not send these but they did to me. This will cause axles to leak and wobble up and down causing possible accident / rear failure.

3. Strange S Case and Yukon Billet trac loc do not fit together correctly with out some massaging. This would have been nice to know ahead of time.

4. Test fit 3rd member to housing before it's in the car. Studs will need to be straightened and is a **** to installed 3rd member in car if the studs are not straightened.

5. Yukon billet trac loc with racing springs is amazing. Smooth and quiet around corners, locks up hard. I think it's the best way to go on a car you drive alot unless you want to run a spool or detroit locker.

MWC = A, but should include detailed instructions for liability reasons.
Strange = C -, where is you quality control?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Great info. Thanks.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add, we do assemble the center section on all the rear end orders, unless other wise specified by the customer that is buying some parts by themselves in an attempt to save money. Very rarely do we get customers wanting to assemble their own center section though.

We can and do prefer to assemble the complete rear end, if there is ever any unforeseen issues we can take care of it right here in the shop. Some prefer to save a little more money and do it on there own as well.

Assembled or in pieces the cost of shipping does not change it is all included into our package price. You will have the cost of shipping your hardware to us or can purchase new just like on any rear end you order no matter who's it is, and have us assemble it and it can really make buying a rear end an easy and enjoyable experience.

Many customers that have bought them complete have really been happy and commented to us how they had us assemble it here in shop and shipped it out to them. They said they received it and bolted it right in and went with out any issues.

If anyone has any questions please just PM me and ask and I will be glad to help you out.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Fair enough. I'll be calling on you guys soon.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just got mine installed the other day,i did assemble the rear,but the center section and gears came all ready setup.I assembled the rear in my garage before i put it in the car,and it went together pretty good.If you dont have a press then i recommend getting it shipped to you already assembled.The third member went in the housing pretty nice,took just a little working to get it in.The axles went right in after that and that was butter.Then i spent about 20 minutes seting up my brake lines.I simply took the lines off the 10 bolt and set it up on the mwc rear.Thden it went in the car and fit like a glove.No leaks and the Trac loc posi with the billet case is sweet.The richmond gears i got have a nice whine at 60+ mph but lother then that they are fairly quiet.Having the short torque arm directly attached to the body of the car is gonna transmit most of the gear whine.Its definitley a lot of fun to drive though

Quick Reply: Which Rear End to get for a 6 speed car?