Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

klunking

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default klunking

well had my auto trans built about 9 mo ago. it always shifted kinda hard before and learched into driving gear. within the last week or so my car now makes a clunking noise coming from rear. also when coming down from speed as it goes down through gears..... any thoughts? advice? gas and a book of matches?lol
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

okay 1st you are going to have to get it up into the air to find out where the noise is coming from. Gonna have to narrow it down because it's obviously with the driveline. Do you know where you feel the clunking at or where do you think you hear it? This is what a broken pinion sounds like
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

torque arm bushing!
Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

I am having the same prob in my m6. Same thing loud clunk when I shift and when I let off the gas to decelerate. It sounds like the rear end is falling apart. But with acceleration no noise. What gives. On my way right now to get a gasket to look inside the rearend.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Well I figured mine out. About a month ago I replaced my pinion seal. when I tightened my pinion nut I did not tighten it enough and it backed out on me leaving the yolk and the gear attatched to it loose. When accelerating the way the teeth of the gears are designed pushed that part snug but without pressure on (when letting off the gas or shifting) the teeth from the gear that the yolk goes on were eating up the other one. Sorry don't know the names just know what it looks like lol.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by drago1217
Well I figured mine out. About a month ago I replaced my pinion seal. when I tightened my pinion nut I did not tighten it enough and it backed out on me leaving the yolk and the gear attatched to it loose. When accelerating the way the teeth of the gears are designed pushed that part snug but without pressure on (when letting off the gas or shifting) the teeth from the gear that the yolk goes on were eating up the other one. Sorry don't know the names just know what it looks like lol.
sounds like fun! all i had was a torque arm bushing go bad and did a casper fan switch with manual over ride at the same time. pleased with the outcome of that day.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:27 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You're more than likely in for a rear end rebuild at this point. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I know, I can't afford one right now. I looked at the teeth on the pinion gear, they have a little wear. Thankfully I caught it in time. Now that I tightened it up it works fine but I think I need a new pinion nut. Someone told me it is supposed to be a lock nut and mine isn't tight. I also heard I should put around 450 ft/lbs on it so I think ill get a new nut and put some more *** into it. But it works for now. I've already priced a moser 9" and will start saving lol.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I know, I can't afford one right now. I looked at the teeth on the pinion gear, they have a little wear. Thankfully I caught it in time. Now that I tightened it up it works fine but I think I need a new pinion nut. Someone told me it is supposed to be a lock nut and mine isn't tight. I also heard I should put around 450 ft/lbs on it so I think ill get a new nut and put some more *** into it. But it works for now. I've already priced a moser 9" and will start saving lol.
how do you plan on puttin 450 ft/lbs???
Old 06-17-2010, 06:16 AM
On The Tree

**** I don't know I will probably just grab a bar and tighten the crap out of it LOL
Old 06-17-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

You use a companion flange holder. The proper way is to install a new crush sleeve set preload etc...
Old 06-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Teching In

The proper way is to measure the rotating force it takes to turn the pinion with the carrier assembly out of the car. There is a spec in the service manual for this.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

I set mine at 25 inch lbs