Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

going synthetic when non synthetic call for ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
how often do I need to change on dino 80w90 gear oil ? reason i dont like use dino oil cause I dont like to change it often.
A daily driver grocery getter won't see the rear oil changed even once in it's lifetime, unless something breaks. It's not at all unusual to see a rearend go 200,000 miles on the original fill of gear oil. With a car that see's occassional track time, I'd probably go 30,000 miles at least.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
PM me when you do and I should get an alert on my phone and ill let you know so you dont have as much down time
I will brother ! I will keep update.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi im back !! who ever before me torque the bolt down so much, and I find out im low on fluid alot, and look like it leak from the fill bolt. Here some pix, so tell me I can use synthetic mobil 1 75w90 with friction modified or stick with dino 80w90 with friction modifield. Gear oil came out dark and smell nasty, Look like it never been change before.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NOTE THAT YELLOW SPRING COLOR THING, I SPRAY SOME BRAKE CLEANER AND IT THOSE YELLOW COLOR CAME OFF THE SPRING, PLEASE TELL ME ITS OK !! now the spring and gear teeth look like new after brake cleaner. Tell me I dint fk any thing up.

BTW on rear diff their are 2 BIG hole left and right, wat are those for ? and if im using gasket it will block 2 those hole up. is that support to be ?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

All of that is fine, you have an Auburn, it needs regular diff fluid and additive. Pour the additive in first then the fluid
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of that is fine, you have an Auburn, it needs regular diff fluid and additive. Pour the additive in first then the fluid
Phew !! thank you brother !! is auburn gear any good ?
Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
Phew !! thank you brother !! is auburn gear any good ?
The Auburn is the posi unit not the gears themselves, but yes Auburn is very good.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Auburn is the posi unit not the gears themselves, but yes Auburn is very good.
hahaha thank you bro, just got done doing rear diff, longest part time was scupt those gasket and silicon off cover and diff, put in tiny bit of black silicon to hold the gasket down. everything went good, doing couple figure "8" both left and right, easy get on street and enter highway, get her up to 95mph, run smooth no noise. I guest im good for another 20k miles or so. Thank you for all you guy help. now I can drink my whiskey and watching "Christine" movie.

Quick Reply: going synthetic when non synthetic call for ?