Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Don't buy Moser stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-1 for Moser. +1 for Strange
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man, I was going to get a Moser 9 inch. Now I'm going with Strange or MWC.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a Moser 9" housing with their 31 spline axles for 2 1/2 years. I had a small problem when installing the backing plates for the brakes (long story) that required the axle bearings to be pulled back off. They sent me new bearings in a few days free of charge. Have not had any problems since.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does strange make a bolt in 9" housing for a 4th gen? Or just their S60?
Old 10-03-2010, 03:39 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Moser stuff is garbage. I quit recommending them years ago.

Strange is expensive, but you won't have these issues.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

yall are making me nervous, i just dropped money on a moser 9 inch from TS&P and should be here later this week, has any one not had a problem with moser? the guys at TS&P were very helpful with stuff and previous orders so +1 to them
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

no sponsors that supply moser have chimed in?

id expect someone in here that has had good experiences with them...ive never used them personally
Old 10-03-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

@jetlag: glad I could make you laugh. Was the only way to "mark" for myself what I was doing as I was driving.

@Greekey: Well, just last week at the track a front hub failed on me. Maybe that was contributing to the pedal play a bit, as the hub wore and had more play before it failed. But the new axles really fixed the problem 90%.

@jeepers: I wrote most of that when I was fired up after getting off the phone with them. I don't think they are a driving hazard, I was exaggerating to try deal with their stubborn customer service. They are not going to just break or fail, they are almost brand new. Under 90% of driving conditions everything was OK, but when at the limit of cornering (like .9g-1.0g) I had the issue. When driven normally, like going to work, everything was fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i havent had any problems with mine, i swapped from that crazy stupid locker and went with the wavetrac and wouldnt have thought of a better way to spend 1k ... the ONLY problem i have is i need new axle bearings and have had this rear for 2 years, but only put MAYBE 2k miles on the rear. their bearings SUCK! i replaced the axle seals prob 50 miles before the LS1 took a dump and havent seen any seeping. but 50 miles with no seal prob wouldnt have been as bad as 50 with their **** *** seal.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a moser 12 bolt. no issues with my stuff
Old 10-03-2010, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

I ran moser axles 28 spline/3.73 in 10 bolt/locker 5 years with no problems, now running moser 31 spline in 9"/4.11/locker no problems happy with both sets
I am sure some ppl have good/bad luck with all maker.
just my .02
Johnny
Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

I have a moser 9" with the dreaded Trutrac....no problems at all over the last 3yrs and 15k miles with tons of high rpm launches with the previous 6spd. Ive heard that moser sucks *** when it comes to customer service...but they do give you a disclaimer of basically no warrenty...So i know what I was getting into. Always go in with low expectations LOL. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them Though.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kip Hayden (the VP of the company). over at Moser is a complete joke.

I sent Moser a new pair of backing plates to get installed on my new Moser 9" axles with a rear that I got from them and they came back all bent up. The funny part is that the box was smaller than the plates and when they arrived they went from lets say a 12" round disc to a 8" square. So it was not like they even tried and things got messed up along the way.

I called Moser and they said that they did not insure the box and offered me $10 off my next purchase or I could send them back to them and he would get someone to straighten them out with pliers or that I should straighten them out myself with a pair of pliers.

This was a couple of years ago and sounds like things have not changed one bit. Someone high up in Moser should fire him because they are losing business big time with his shitty attitude. But I guess, he is probably married to the president's daughter or something.

Last edited by 69TA; 10-03-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
I have a moser 9" with the dreaded Trutrac....no problems at all over the last 3yrs and 15k miles with tons of high rpm launches with the previous 6spd. Ive heard that moser sucks *** when it comes to customer service...but they do give you a disclaimer of basically no warrenty...So i know what I was getting into. Always go in with low expectations LOL. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with them Though.
You spend $3K on a rear axle & you wanna have low expectations?
Knowing that, I would have a hard time shelling out some $3K for an axle to some company thats not willing to stand behind their product.

Originally Posted by 69TA
Kip Hayden (the VP of the company). over at Moser is a complete joke.

I sent Moser a new pair of backing plates to get installed on my new Moser 9" axles with a rear that I got from them and they came back all bent up. The funny part is that the box was smaller than the plates and when they arrived they went from lets say a 12" round disc to a 8" square. So it was not like they even tried and things got messed up along the way.

I called Moser and they said that they did not insure the box and offered me $10 off my next purchase or I could send them back to them and he would get someone to straighten them out with pliers or that I should straighten them out myself with a pair of pliers.
I find it interesting that when you receive your item damaged from this vendor they are in no way responsible when they most likely damaged it. Lately I have heard nothing good about Moser, they wont be getting my money the way they operate.
This was a couple of years ago and sounds like things have not changed one bit. Someone high up in Moser should fire him because they are losing business big time with his shitty attitude. But I guess, he is probably married to the president's daughter or something.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone looking for a 9" should be going to midwest chassis anyways.I am still suprised that guys on here are still buying a moser 9" when midwest is all over this section with nothing but the best from everyone.And moser does suck,even if there product was good,there service sucks.I am done giving shady companies any money..
Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about talks trouble but I have bought 2 moser complete 9inch rears and absolutely love them no issues what so ever one even has about 25000 miles on it now so on my next f body if there ever is one I will be rolling a moser 9 inch for sure
Old 10-04-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redtail2426
Anyone looking for a 9" should be going to midwest chassis anyways.I am still suprised that guys on here are still buying a moser 9" when midwest is all over this section with nothing but the best from everyone.And moser does suck,even if there product was good,there service sucks.I am done giving shady companies any money..
If you already have a tq arm/tranny reloc reloc bracket the price of the midwest stops looking so great; also if you dont want to wait a month or two for your rear.

I'm sure that if everyone on the board here who ran moser stuff chimed in, the people who were satisfied would far outweigh those who have had issues.

Granted its bullshit that moser wont take care of you guys who have had issues, but thats why I bought my rear through a vendor. A vendor had alittle more weight to throw around when it comes to getting an issue solved. For example I bet you wont find anyone who has bought something from Bob at brutespeed who had a problem and didnt get it addressed asap.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by flintwrench69
You spend $3K on a rear axle & you wanna have low expectations?
Knowing that, I would have a hard time shelling out some $3K for an axle to some company thats not willing to stand behind their product.
True-Trac has had some problems with their differentials that is beyond Mosers control.

Originally Posted by Valkyn
If you already have a tq arm/tranny reloc reloc bracket the price of the midwest stops looking so great; also if you dont want to wait a month or two for your rear.

I'm sure that if everyone on the board here who ran moser stuff chimed in, the people who were satisfied would far outweigh those who have had issues.

Granted its bullshit that moser wont take care of you guys who have had issues, but thats why I bought my rear through a vendor. A vendor had alittle more weight to throw around when it comes to getting an issue solved. For example I bet you wont find anyone who has bought something from Bob at brutespeed who had a problem and didnt get it addressed asap.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I do go to bat for my customer's and I usually take care of problems that any of my customers have directly with Moser myself. That way the customer doesn't have to get too involved in it. Such was the case with the customer in the quote below. Bob

Originally Posted by BlkBird2000
I had a 9" that I was assembling at my house a few weeks back. Got around to the passenger side and realized the end of my housing was bent. Kip (the VP of the company) sent me a brand new housing and pre paid shipping labels for the bent housing. Arrived in a few days.

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-04-2010, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by ls1curt
i too was not happy with moser. i was told a 2-3 day turnaround + shipping. it took over a month until my 12 bolt was shipped out and then i got no torque arm bolts or anything with it. in the end, i wish i would have just gotten a 12 bolt from Strange
Who did you buy your Moser 12 bolt through, or did you order it directly from Moser? Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 10-04-2010, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Ive been happy with my 12 bolt. been abusing it for 5 years now. Hard launches on drag radials and it dont whine. No problems with bolts backing out or broken torque arms. Running a Detroit Tru Track (4 Series) and no problems. My car is far from stock. But to each to their own.

Quick Reply: Don't buy Moser stuff