Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Normal for a spool???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Normal for a spool???

Ok have the normal tire chirp etc in tight turns but also have like a clunking noise. It happens when going slow, parking or pulling in drive way. It sounds and feels like the driveshaft is turning forward then backwards and clunking. Can hear it right next to me and had a cowork say he heard it in the parking lot, its pretty loud.

Car has been built from a roller, MWC 9, used but built T56. It could be a trains problem and I wouldnt kwow. Could a really f-ed up pinion angle do it? I need to do that ASAP.
Thanks
jay
Old 10-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be bearings at the axle.... you should NEVER make a tight turn or any turn that starts to bind the rear...
That in turn makes the axles go thru a loaded sprung situation and break the axle bearings
Old 10-14-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rear is brand new, 40 miles on it. How can I park the car then with out binding the axles?
Old 10-15-2010, 01:18 AM
TECH Addict

Pick the easiest parking spot.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:13 AM
12 Second Club

i am having the same problem right now but i have a 12 bolt with a eaton hd lsd i thought it was the diff had it rebuilt with new carbon clutches and reshimmed and still makes the noise im really stumped mine does it if im ina praking lot turning into a space or making a turn and have the clutch in or in neutral noone has any idea as to what mine is its getting really frustrating
Old 10-16-2010, 06:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the clunking sound normal? Maybe something in the suspension hitting because of the rear?
Old 10-18-2010, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mustang Hat'r 2
Is the clunking sound normal? Maybe something in the suspension hitting because of the rear?
Just a thought? Depending on what type exhaust you have it could be hitting the DS when you turn sharply, ask me how I know
Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If any of you are running a tunnel mount torque arm it will transfer noises that you won't hear outside of the car because its magnifying everything that its touching. A spool banging and clunking is normal. Myself and several people I run with have that problem and it's been from day one. It scares you at first cause you think something is wrong when there really isn't. Not saying this is 100% the cause but if you find nothing out of whack then it's the spool doing what it does.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got under there the exhaust cant touch any moving parts and the suspension is all tight. DS and u joint are new, just a scary sound thats for sure.
thanks
jay
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

Spools shouldn't make any noise....

You have to learn to not do anything that requires any steering maneuvers lock to lock... or you are breaking the axle bearings......

Take a thin piece of wire and twist it opposite eachother..... That is what your axles are doing, and they're breaking the axle bearing shells when you bind them like that... spools don't belong in street cars that are going to be driven like DD'ers...

Put a spool in a street car that doesn't see tight turns, parking spots, spools should only see mostly the straightest possible driving and widest turns
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have never heard of such a thing. There car is far from daily driven, 50mile in 2weeks. I have no choice pulling in and out of my driveway. Why would they put such a weak bearing in a rearend like this? Can you back up your statement???
Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Restricted User

I have seen that happen in every rear with a spool on the street and driving it like it has a open carrier... I tell everyone either make W I D E turns and make multiple little maneuvers back and forth getting into tight spots, or bind it all up and risk breakin an outer race

That is not normal for any rear and axles to be binding up like that...

The axles bind up and snap the races of the bearing, bearing isn't made for that force on it, just the rolling and weight .
Old 12-12-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am having the exact same problem with my car. I have a built 9", 3.89 gears/full spool. That thing pops so loud it sounds like something serious is broken when I turn. I totally agree, parking spots are the only things I really have problems with, mainly, my driveway.

A while back a buddy told me I should put a spool in this rear end when I was looking for a third member unit. He said the tires would screech a bit going around a corner, that didnt sound like a big deal. So I got the full spool, now I regret the **** out of it. My dad rode with me once and he said it sounded terrible. Got out of the car in the parking lot and we started to look for something broken and found nothing. It only does it on tight turns. I am running 325/15/15 Nitto 555R tires and this thing sounds like I am going to see my rear end in my rear view mirror when making a sharp turn.

What I want to know is what exactly is causing that bang-pop sound when I turn. Is the pinion gear popping over the carrier gear, eventually rounding them down? If so that will ruin the teeth.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have an off topic Nova with a 9" Ford and a spool. Been driving it for 20 years. It makes no pops turning. It does plow and make tire noises when turning sharp, but that's all. When making sharp turns it helps to put a little power on to help slip the tires.

Also have a 86 Mustang with a Strange 9" all Aluminum rear, same as above.

Have another car with a locker, it pops and snaps enough for all of them

Al in Tucson

Looking for a 9", 12 bolt or S-60 for a 95 LT1 And a tunnel mount adjustable torque arm...

Quick Reply: Normal for a spool???