Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Broke tail housing

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke tail housing

I was on my way to get my Camaro on a dyno this weekend when i noticed some strange vibration at 80mph. . . not a big deal i thought . .until after a couple of pulls on the dyno and the vibration got so bad that it was actually causing my "speed sensor" to go ape **** and shoot the speedometer needle back down once it hit in the general area of "105 mph" and around "5500 rpm".

So 4 pulls later and BAM, tail housing cracks wide open and she is puking all over the floor.It also had a poly trans mount on it and that may have been part of the problem.

Im just asking what in particular do i need to replace in order to keep this from happening again? Do i need a new drive shaft? u joints or what? I'm definitely ditching the F***ing poly trans mount for sure.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sykokilla
I was on my way to get my Camaro on a dyno this weekend when i noticed some strange vibration at 80mph. . . not a big deal i thought . .until after a couple of pulls on the dyno and the vibration got so bad that it was actually causing my "speed sensor" to go ape **** and shoot the speedometer needle back down once it hit in the general area of "105 mph" and around "5500 rpm".

So 4 pulls later and BAM, tail housing cracks wide open and she is puking all over the floor.It also had a poly trans mount on it and that may have been part of the problem.

Im just asking what in particular do i need to replace in order to keep this from happening again? Do i need a new drive shaft? u joints or what? I'm definitely ditching the F***ing poly trans mount for sure.
they poly mount didn't cause this.......sounds like you have a bent driveshaft
Old 01-30-2011, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah its not the poly mount. Like xtreme 2001 said check the drive shaft. Another thing that can cause it is the torque arm so you might want to think about a relocation kit.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

yea, I actually took my car back to a tire shop to have the wheels rebalanced the day after they balanced them and they said they were "perfect". This was about a yr and half ago when I still had the rubber trans mount.

I bet it was bent back then and the poly mount was only doing its job and exaggerated the vibrations from the possible bent driveshaft.

Is it possible to run a stock torque arm on a BMR relocation kit? they advise against running anything but a BMR torque arm.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The factory torque arm is a stamped piece of crap! Why would you want to reuse it? Go with the tubular if you're gonna do the work.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Cuz I'm ******* poor! I can't afford another $200 part on top of the $250 relocation crossmember, $65 balancing of driveshaft, $40 tail housing + whatever the hell is going on with my engine. Tax returns for a single unemployed childless student are fairly small......... just saying.

And yea I know its ****... along with the rest of an F-body.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

are you still using the stock driveshaft and is it steel? the same thing happened to me and im thinking it was caused by the steel DS and poly mount. theres got to be a reason why GM only put steel DS's in 273 geared autos. i also ran an UMI relo crossmember with the stock TA no problems.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll bet the broken tailshaft is a result of the torque arm being mounted in the factory location. I have seen it happen before. http://shop.brutespeed.com/BMR-TPU00...BMR-TPU001.htm The BMR torque arm in the above link relocates the torque arm off the transmission and works out really well. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: Broke tail housing