Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear end noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear end noise

I'm in the process of buying a 2002 stock ss 6 spd and when I went to drive it, it had a whining noise coming from the rear end ONLY when under power. I parked it and left it in gear and rocked the car back and forth to check for slack and it seemed like a normal car when they rock back and forth. It's the same sound that I heard on my truck before the rear end went out. The car is completely stock and has 98k on it. If it's the rear end I will want to change out the gears for something with a little more power. I'm not taking it to the track and not street racing. I want better accleration, more power, torque etc. I will eventually add LT headers, full exhuast and an intake of somekind. and thats probably it. Any ideas on gears? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9 bolt is a common swap for never having to replace again. You could drop another stock one in and put 4.11 gears in it, if you do that you might want to look at the classifieds here because there are stock rear ends usually pretty cheap.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldnt run 4.11s If you dont race it, Being a six speed you will be more than happy with a set of 3.73s or such. I have a 9" in my car and let me tell you now expect to drop north of 2k on a quality 9. There are alot of guys out there running stock rears, and alot of guys out there blowing them up. It comes down to your driving, IF you like to do 6k clutch dumps, well then you may be picking your rear end up out of the street, Or it may live with street tires. Some guys here drag race on the stockers, I would never recommend it. IF you are just street driving the car, and dont plan on hopping it up, or racing at all, just have a new ring set and bearings put in your rear, you will be fine if you have a reputable shop set it up right it will be quiet...
Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

I would like to keep the car with matching numbers so i dont really wanna change out the rear end completely. I'm new to the f-body world as this is my first one...I should be ok with 373 gears then? And no I dont plan on doing any hard launches at all. Just a daily driver but I would like to get on it a lil here and there. And I want to have decent gas mileage as I will be driving around 80mph on interstate to and from work and dont wanna be showing high rpms. Is there a certain brand of gears I should go with?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

GM Gears. I think that they are packaged by MOTIVE but they are supposed to be really good gears with little noise....supposedly....
Old 02-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Launching!

I have the same issue with mine. It gets progressively worse under load especially in 6th on the highway at cruising speeds and it drives me absolutely NUTS! Headaches and all. Its pretty sad that I cant hear a SLP lm2over it! In my case I bought this car to track so I bit the bullet and purchased an s60 with 4.11s since I plan on tracking it.
If you dont plan on racing it then I would just rebuild the 10 bolt as stated above but from what I have read the 10 bolt is always going to get noisy.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you really don't have to worry about matching #'s because they only put casting #'s on parts nowadays not serial #'s. So your car has the same #'s as every other F-body out there except the VIN...... 411's give a nice bump IMO and MPG is still good because 5th & 6th are both overdrive...
Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there are alot of posts debating 4.11s or 3.73s it is a matter of opinion, the first time i swapped gears it was to 4.11s and i hated them, couldnt really pull thru the gears, you have to shift every couple seconds. I then swapped to 3.73s and loved,them, as my power increased I decided to go the 9 route,,I chose a 3.75 gearset and believe it to be the best, this is just my opinion,,BUT I MYSELF have had both sets and am speaking from my personal experience.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the help guys! another question...how about the Strange gears? whine? strength? etc... worth the money or would gm motives be better? and i think im just gonna go with the 3.73 gears heres a link to a package deal I found. worth it?

http://www.thunderracing.com/shop-by...-End/Packages/

also wanna get an exhuast with LT headers...any certain brands i should consider? I would like to eventually add cut-outs. I really dont like that raspy sound, I want deep and loud and a mean sounding rumble.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

If your looking for more power and torque I would go with 4'10s or 4'11s. When auto guys go 373's they feel a difference b/c they have 273's or 323's stock. But the 6 speed guys have a higher gear from the factory (342's) so there wont really be that big of a difference between them and the 373's when compared to the 410's. So bang for buck 410's will be better, but like someone else said it all comes down to personal preference

For headers pacesetters are probable the best bang for your buck. And if you plan to do a cutout I would do a more mild catback like a magnaflow or hooker. Or some guys just keep the stock catback and get a cutout
Old 02-17-2011, 07:01 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 243hunter
I'm in the process of buying a 2002 stock ss 6 spd and when I went to drive it, it had a whining noise coming from the rear end ONLY when under power. I parked it and left it in gear and rocked the car back and forth to check for slack and it seemed like a normal car when they rock back and forth. It's the same sound that I heard on my truck before the rear end went out. The car is completely stock and has 98k on it. If it's the rear end I will want to change out the gears for something with a little more power. I'm not taking it to the track and not street racing. I want better accleration, more power, torque etc. I will eventually add LT headers, full exhuast and an intake of somekind. and thats probably it. Any ideas on gears? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT! THANKS!
If the car has original gearing then it needs a rear end job which if your buying the car, get some quotes as that should be a negotiation point.

Also there are no such thing as matching numbers like it was in the old days. I mean if you mod the car, keep the stock parts, even the exhaust, remove as one piece.

For the street 4.10's is a real good ratio for these cars and it will lead to better clutch life since the car is not stressing the drive train from a stop and you can leave it 6th more as you drive around.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 AM
On The Tree

well, im not going to negotiate at all with them bc they told me the selling price but when i got it on contract until it got cleaned up etc as it was a fresh trade, the selling price on paper was 2k lower than the sell price they quoted me! haha someone messed up there!
As for the 4.10 gears, i've always thought those were for the strip, to go fast quick and in a short distance not really good for long trips on the interstate. Is this right or will it still produce low rpms? approx how high will the rpms be going approx 75-80 mph? and what is the difference between y pipes and I x pipe? And I would also delete the cats...so does that give me a few more options as far as the exhaust goes? Does the engine NEED a certain amount of backpressure?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

I've destroyed two rear ends already. My third one makes noise. My 4th Rear end is on it's way (Moser 9") and that will seem to fix this odd noise issue I get with all my past rear ends lol.

I have had 4.10's when I was stock. Made the car shift sooner and gas mileage wasn't horrible. Also had 3.73 gears as well which I liked a lot more! But I am back on stock 3.42's as of now until my 9" get's here with 3.75 gearing.

4.10's you will be near or a little over 2000 rpms at 80mph in 6th gear.

A rebuild would do you some justice. Get a shim and bearing kit (Rebuild Kit) and the new gears you want. Break in period is very important.

Full exhaust is okay, you will gain more in the top end more then you will lose in any bottom end power. Don't worry about the back pressure. most bolt-on F-bodies with headers put down around 330+ whp.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 243hunter
well, im not going to negotiate at all with them bc they told me the selling price but when i got it on contract until it got cleaned up etc as it was a fresh trade, the selling price on paper was 2k lower than the sell price they quoted me! haha someone messed up there!
As for the 4.10 gears, i've always thought those were for the strip, to go fast quick and in a short distance not really good for long trips on the interstate. Is this right or will it still produce low rpms? approx how high will the rpms be going approx 75-80 mph? and what is the difference between y pipes and I x pipe? And I would also delete the cats...so does that give me a few more options as far as the exhaust goes? Does the engine NEED a certain amount of backpressure?
Back pressure is a Myth.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

If you get an x pipe that is typically for true duals.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CamaroZ28_LS1
I've destroyed two rear ends already. My third one makes noise. My 4th Rear end is on it's way (Moser 9") and that will seem to fix this odd noise issue I get with all my past rear ends lol.

I have had 4.10's when I was stock. Made the car shift sooner and gas mileage wasn't horrible. Also had 3.73 gears as well which I liked a lot more! But I am back on stock 3.42's as of now until my 9" get's here with 3.75 gearing.

4.10's you will be near or a little over 2000 rpms at 80mph in 6th gear.

A rebuild would do you some justice. Get a shim and bearing kit (Rebuild Kit) and the new gears you want. Break in period is very important.

Full exhaust is okay, you will gain more in the top end more then you will lose in any bottom end power. Don't worry about the back pressure. most bolt-on F-bodies with headers put down around 330+ whp.
Where are you guys getting your bearings/shims/gears. I need to have a rebuild done and was looking for parts. Any sponsors on here sell them? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Auto guys also have a lower 1st gear ratio in the transmission 3.06? I belive so they don't need as much gear in the back to get off the line so 3.73s work great. The T56 has a tall 2.66 1st gear so the 4.10s help alot. Plus with the T56 you have a double overdrive so on the highway at 70 or so its only taching 1900ish rpms so fuel economy is still good.

My stock 3.42s whine just like yours under load, usually around 50-70mph in 5th and 6th. I just bought a set of NOS gm 4.10s and Im going to put a girdle and a solid pinion spacer on when I do the job. Hopefully it will last a while but its all in how you drive. If you have street tires and don't dump your clutch over 3500 rpm and it should hold up.

Last edited by Troy5061; 05-06-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 85CamaroZ28
Where are you guys getting your bearings/shims/gears. I need to have a rebuild done and was looking for parts. Any sponsors on here sell them? Thanks.
Im getting the Ratech complete rebuild kit from the ws6store, it includes bearings.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Troy5061
Im getting the Ratech complete rebuild kit from the ws6store, it includes bearings.
Got it. I got the Deluxe kit with the wheel bearings. I have about 92k miles on mine (76k when I bought it in Oct.) so I figured while its apart...and some 3.73 gears cause I do A LOT of highway driving.

Quick Reply: rear end noise